Autopsy Round 4, 2023: St.Kilda v Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure that’s a good thing. How many picks did we blow? Before the last two drafts, I’d say more than a Debbie in Dallas.
Yeah all those picks on Hill, Howard, Butler, and Higgins

2016 Battle
2017 we picked Clark and Coffield,
2018, King and Bytel
2019 with getting 5 trades we selected Ryan Byrnes
So many blown dp's. FMD

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:
Not sure that’s a good thing. How many picks did we blow? Before the last two drafts, I’d say more than a Debbie in Dallas.
This got me thinking.
2016 - Battle
2017 - Clark, Coffield, Paton
2018 - King, Bytel
2019 - Byrnes
2020 - Allison, Highmore

Along with rookies, free agents, trades, top ups, we've built a solid list as evidenced by performance now. Last two drafts added some real cream too. Delicious

The big question of the day has to be does Caminiti have more competitive beast in him than Max?

I haven't seen a forward of his size in a Saints team compete for the ball like he does for a while?

I also haven't seen a forward of his size welcome the body contact since Roo and Kosi's playing days.

As some others have pointed out, King has kicked goals in a team where every forward entry was directed at him.

There is such a long way to go to know what type of player Camaniti will be but in a 4 game sample size I'd say he's got some instinctive skills that King doesn't and they all derive from his attitude about how he earns a goal or helps the team earn a goal.

100% Byrnes is another I would normally easily want to replace with a more skilled player, but his running both in attack and defence has been quite important for us
The beauty of everyone playing well is that if anyone wants to come into the side they need to be playing better than the person they are replacing. I’ve been happy with the way Byrnes has played so far this season. Done his job most weeks. Hope he keeps progressing.

I’d bring membrey straight back in, he’s been better than what people give him credit for I think, particularly with how dysfunctional the entries have been for basically all of his career. Obviously King and Steele straight back in.

Billing’s and Coffield will get their chance.

I’m not sure how far away Jones and McKenzie are but I’d like to see them get a chance also. I look forward to seeing Hotton too.

It’s gonna be exciting to see these guys filter in, there will be some unlucky players missing out and perhaps guys given a week off to rest which will be an advantage of this injury situation right now and with the wins on the board.

Could be an exciting season
Good point. Some of the players who have been around a few years haven’t had the chance to play in a side this good. Our forward system looks so much better than it has for years. King and Membrey will look so much better when they come in.
It’s also a reason I believe Billing’s will go to another level when he returns. Players like him need a good team around them and he hasn’t had that yet. Just look at Hill this year.

Yeah all those picks on Hill, Howard, Butler, and Higgins

2016 Battle
2017 we picked Clark and Coffield,
2018, King and Bytel
2019 with getting 5 trades we selected Ryan Byrnes
So many blown dp's. FMD

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

This got me thinking.
2016 - Battle
2017 - Clark, Coffield, Paton
2018 - King, Bytel
2019 - Byrnes
2020 - Allison, Highmore

Along with rookies, free agents, trades, top ups, we've built a solid list as evidenced by performance now. Last two drafts added some real cream too. Delicious
High Five Friends GIF by Amazon Freevee

The big question of the day has to be does Caminiti have more competitive beast in him than Max?

I haven't seen a forward of his size in a Saints team compete for the ball like he does for a while?

I also haven't seen a forward of his size welcome the body contact since Roo and Kosi's playing days.

As some others have pointed out, King has kicked goals in a team where every forward entry was directed at him.

There is such a long way to go to know what type of player Camaniti will be but in a 4 game sample size I'd say he's got some instinctive skills that King doesn't and they all derive from his attitude about how he earns a goal or helps the team earn a goal.
I think that's selling how good Kingy is a bit short.

Since his debut he has had deal with a dead beat game plan that was easy to defend by rolling 2-3 onto him all the time.

I actually think Max will benefit immensely from this game plan fast moving and play to his strengths.

Caminiti should only help Max with another tall target down there taking a defender away from him

What's with all of this King v Caminiti malarkey? We have both of them, so they'll never have to compete against each other.

Also, the fact that they share seperate strengths is actually a good thing. Caminiti's aggression will help King insofar as defenders won't be able to peel off for the double team that he's been facing his whole career.

Equally, King's ability to be a focal point will help Caminiti as instead of drawing the number 1 defender, he'll get the second or even 3rd best guy. I'm sure last night he would much have much preferred to have been lined up against Ballard as opposed to Collins.

The only real problem that the two will face is how they both function in the same forward line, but I think they'll work great together. When King returns, it frees The Hammer to work up to the wing and take contested marks with his nice leap.

And because we now have someone else to do this, big Maxy will be allowed to play as a deeper target, where he'll be able to use his height and turn of speed to greater effect.

Its all gravy guys, not a pissing contest.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Any talk of Caminiti possibly keeping King out is nuts.

Max King will come straight back in when fit enough. Watch him tear games apart under RTB

He's not far off it to be honest. He's very very good. Times it perfectly. Don't think we've ever had a defender that doesn't give me a stress disorder before. Wilkie is in the area and you just expect him to mop it up.
He reads the play better than most and is so crafty with how he uses his body. Not sure about the best defender in the afl, but he'd be right up there. Also uses the ball so efficiently

I think that's selling how good Kingy is a bit short.

Since his debut he has had deal with a dead beat game plan that was easy to defend by rolling 2-3 onto him all the time.

I actually think Max will benefit immensely from this game plan fast moving and play to his strengths.

Caminiti should only help Max with another tall target down there taking a defender away from him

Get on Max for the Coleman now. He’ll be unstoppable with this ball movement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Max King will come straight back in when fit enough. Watch him tear games apart under RTB
If Caminiti keeps anyone out on this run of form, it’s Skunk, not Max.

Or more likely, Zlugger.

HB: Butler/Phillipou - Membrey - Gresham/Higgins
F: Owens - King - Caminiti​

I think a few are forgetting how dominant king is just need to make sure his set shots are sorted I don't think Ross will put up with bad accuracy if he has options

Anyway. Interesting week coming up.

The club had pencilled in King for the gather round when I said he was pushing for round 1 and Ross said Steele to be back in 3 weeks after his collarbone.

So let’s see if we pull a selection surprise.
Who would we drop Cordy and Mitchi to chop out on the ruck?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back