Autopsy Round 18, 2023: Gold Coast v St.Kilda *PERIS DEBUT*

Remove this Banner Ad

Look it's a nice convenient excuse for piss poor performance but it doesn't fly I'm sorry. For one we have two players that are in their first year that have played regular games. Caminiti and Phillipou. The others have had multiple pre-seasons.

Second, we've been garbage since May 7th. 10 weeks. It has nothing to do with player fatigue.

Third, we were winning games at the beginning of the season without the players you mentioned. Set ourselves up beautifully at 8-3 needing 5 more wins from the remaining 12 games. To be okay with missing finals from here is absolving responsibility of those in charge. It's a capitulation.
Needs to be more focus on why over multiple years that this team drops confidence so quickly and so deeply that they can’t find a way out. Absolutely zero resilience.

1689588247988.png
but have a listen to the fliptop heads who have never travelled north of the Yarra, makes me jealous I decided all those years ago to build a canoe and fight my way across her raging rapids to discover mystical lands beyond on the southern banks. If only I kept me beenie over me eyes and settled down into her sophisticated burbs.
You know part of the reasoning behind the Brisbane line was that there was nothing worth having beyond that point, Imo nothings changed.

Needs to be more focus on why over multiple years that this team deposits confidence so quickly and so deeply that they can’t find a way out. Absolutely zero resilience.
Mental m1dgets. They need to pull their finger out of their arse but similarly the coaches need to create something more suited for us. Everyone is responsible and it's not good enough unfortunately

We don’t?
King, Membrey and Billings still out. Who knows when Higgins is back based on the original one week becoming two…..
Jones basically the only one back.
And on top of that the kids, being kids, fading.

You know, sometimes there is a straw that breaks the camel’s back.

At the start of the year if someone had told you that King, Membrey and Snags would be out and Phillipou, Owens and Caminiti were the main forwards with Peris and Butler at their feet. We would have clocked it as a loss to the bottom side.

Outside Butler they'd played a total of 7 games between them and all were Owens. When Sydney had a couple of backs go down their season plummeted. When they got experience back their form flipped.

We better bloody make it! Can't go shitting the bed two years in a row. For what it's worth I still think we get there but we need to get a wriggle on. Our next 3 weeks all must win games.
You are setting yourself up for disappointment I am afraid George.

Need at least 3 but possibly 4 wins. We will beat North, but Hawks game is a 50/50.

We will go in rank underdog in every other game. Expect a major touch up from all of Cats, Brissie and Blues.

Best case scenario is we beat North, Hawks and Tigers. However, even that is probably not enough.

Looks pretty unlikely to me.

I don’t think we’ll have anyone back by then. Membrey is listed as another 5 weeks on afl.com today and kings not ready in 3 weeks.

Even Higgins will make a huge difference. I reckon we might rush Hayes back too for structure. If we can get Sharman to play like he dd when forward and Higgins can kick a few per week we are back in business.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Does sound like Membrey is well ahead of that timeline though.
He's been doing some pretty solid sessions next to the main training sessions with others in the rehab group (Connolly last week, Battle the week before) and didn't appear to be doing much different. Hopefully that means when he does join in with the main group, he's good to go.

Even Higgins will make a huge difference. I reckon we might rush Hayes back too for structure. If we can get Sharman to play like he dd when forward and Higgins can kick a few per week we are back in business.
Higgins is not given the credit he deserves , he kicks goals consistently and his football IQ is better than most , he plays like a small key forward and when he has a good day his stats are huge for a forward.
I also feel he is untapped because he could easily play in the midfield if given the chance - him back in the team gives us a guy that kicks goals.
Sharman as well is a natural forward and needs to be played there , Hammer is going to be a player but you can't expect a 19yr kid to lead the forward line and needs to be used sparingly in his development.

Hayes may not of played much senior AFL football but he is no kid and has the physique to impact a game so hopefully he comes back in this week because if we are any chance of playing finals we need him playing good football.
With no King in the forward line Sharman , Hayes , Higgins , Owens , Butler our the key to us getting a score to win a game - I would add Gresham to that list but he is so inconstant I don't really care if the Peris kid is given a fair run of games.
Billings will be in the mix as well once he comes back.

The team could surprise us in the coming weeks , they are so unpredictable they can take it to the best teams and struggle to beat the lower ranked teams.

Everything hangs on our midfield and if Steele keeps playing the way he is we will not be playing finals.

I didn't get that impression from what he said. I think he was saying it doesn't matter right now if we make the finals because we are playing so badly that we would get destroyed. The more important thing right now is playing better.
That is very similar to my interpretation... just in different words.

That is very similar to my interpretation... just in different words.
That's what he is saying publicly but behind closed doors he knows we have every chance to play finals and the hierarchy was expecting to.
With the coming 2 games against beatable teams there is no reason they could get there s/it together and show a bit of heart towards the end of the season.
With guys like Higgins , Billings , Hayes , Coffield , King back with in the next 3 weeks it might just give us a lift the team needs and with Clark , Jones back in the fold with some game time under there belt we can cause some upsets and that is what Lyon and the crew are hoping for and if they aren't they are full of bs.

We couldn't continue with same old. But we had to take a forward step. At this point in proceedings not much of any step has happened.
That's what's frustrating people and for good reason. Since 2011 finals once. That's just not good enough no matter who you are.
I get that. Believe me, I’m frustrated as everyone else. But we could no longer continue the way we were going, we had to bring some change.

Lyon didn’t get us into finals his first year with us last tenure and there’s no guarantee he will this year either but I’m not throwing the baby out with the bath water 17 games in.

After Ross Lyon's Gold Coast's post match presser... I'm officially off the RTB bandwagon.

He basically said... making the finals is not our ambition for the club this year...it's a year of exploration. Yet he's fielding injured players rather than testing new talent. I believe we have fielded the least amount of new players this year of any club... That's not "exploration".

Sure, I know it's the players that are the ones that can't hit a target with their kicks or handballs apart from Nas but according to Ross we won't see any improvement in the near future.

This is biggest coach cop-out I've ever heard. F U Ross.
In fairness a lot of the younger players he would like to have tried have been injured for a long period or still are injured . Take some of the young key forwards who haven’t played at all , or Hayes who I’m sure Ross would have played every game if he was fit . It also didn’t help that guys like Connolly haven’t been playing that well in the twos . Yes Highmore might have been given a chance but our defenders have played pretty well most matches and haven’t missed too many games through injury . It’s hard to drop someone like Hill when there is no one fit enough to take his place . Also remember Ross inherited this squad from Ratten so we will have to see what he does over the next couple of seasons .

In fairness a lot of the younger players he would like to have tried have been injured for a long period or still are injured . Take some of the young key forwards who haven’t played at all , or Hayes who I’m sure Ross would have played every game if he was fit . It also didn’t help that guys like Connolly haven’t been playing that well in the twos . Yes Highmore might have been given a chance but our defenders have played pretty well most matches and haven’t missed too many games through injury . It’s hard to drop someone like Hill when there is no one fit enough to take his place . Also remember Ross inherited this squad from Ratten so we will have to see what he does over the next couple of seasons .

Attachments

• images (16).jpeg
    images (16).jpeg
    8.4 KB · Views: 39
Any ideas on why Mason Wood has gone from All Australian form back to a potato?

Any ideas on why Mason Wood has gone from All Australian form back to a potato?
Not sustainable form. He was taking like 50 contested marks on the wing a game from our idiotic bomb it long tactics, making both the defenders kicking it and the game plan look better. He was also then kicking freak goals to help out weak forward line

Remove this Banner Ad

Back