Preview Round 18, 2023: Gold Coast v St.Kilda - Heritage Bank Stadium, Saturday 15th July, 2:10PM AEST *PERIS DEBUT*

Who Wins?

• Suns

Votes: 10 27.0%
  • Saints

Votes: 27 73.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The problem with keeping Owens out of the second ruck position is the numbers show he's clearly our best option at that position. It just raises the chances it'll ruin the kid.
The problem with playing Owens as the second ruck is that he is no longer in the forward line kicking goals.
"What you want and how the coaches play him are two different things."
Well that's the end of this forum then.

The problem with playing Owens as the second ruck is that he is no longer in the forward line kicking goals.

Well that's the end of this forum then.
No, it's one thing to have an opinion on how are player should be played but you've claimed Sharman is our second ruck a few times now and it's just not the case.

The PEZ dispenser?
Jerry Seinfeld Applause GIF

No, it's one thing to have an opinion on how are player should be played but you've claimed Sharman is our second ruck a few times now and it's just not the case.
Two things

1st - I've never claimed that Sharman "is our second ruck".

Just to make it clear, in the absence of a genuine fwd/second ruck, if Cooper Sharman is picked as a forward, I'd prefer him to be cannon fodder second ruck at center bounces ahead of Owens or Caminiti especially if Caminiti is playing as the sole tall forward.

2nd - and that's a role he played at least a couple of times last year.

No he has not been played as a 2nd ruck. The guy has not attended one centre bounce for the whole season.

Caminiti seems to be our preferred 2nd ruck now but if not him it's Owens.

What you want and how the coaches play him are two different things.

To be fair Ratts tried him as a chop out ruck.

Two things

Just to make it clear, in the absence of a genuine fwd/second ruck, if Cooper Sharman is picked as a forward, I'd prefer him to be cannon fodder second ruck at center bounces ahead of Owens or Caminiti especially if Caminiti is playing as the sole tall forward.

Just to prove that you don't hate him you call him cannon fodder? Anyway Marshall rucked nearly 100% of that match against Grundy and Gawn and sent Grundy off to Casey Fields in the process.

Agree - some people need to start deleting their posts fast !

I should know. Not saying I agree. It is what it is here now.
Why should people delete their posts? Everyone is entitled to immerse themselves in whatever delusion takes their fancy, but if you don't push back against the idea that it is mandatory for everyone else to participate in said delusion, then you are simply acquiescing to it and that becomes the norm! People are free to identify however they wish, but that does not change reality and some of us choose not to abandon reality just because it appears the easier path!

Two things

In your attempt to put forward your case to add a bog average VFL ruck last week you claimed that Sharman would be going head to head with Grundy. This week you claimed Sharman was a pretend forward/second ruck.

Seems like that's exactly what you were saying.

arent Caminiti and Sharman roughly the same size? 193ish?
Two things

Exactly and that is why the Saints will win the flag. I see it as every other team get such a huge injury list that we are basically playing VFL teams in the finals.
Why should people delete their posts? Everyone is entitled to immerse themselves in whatever delusion takes their fancy, but if you don't push back against the idea that it is mandatory for everyone else to participate in said delusion, then you are simply acquiescing to it and that becomes the norm! People are free to identify however they wish, but that does not change reality and some of us choose not to abandon reality just because it appears the easier path!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Because he's Battle mk2 in how he's being used.

Started forward? check.
Moved back:? check.
Used as KP relief around ground in all thirds? check

Throw a dart where he lands, you'll have as much luck as gussing that Battle drafted as a natural forward would end up as a KP defender who acts more like a third when he was shoved at FF to cover us not having King yet despite training with the mids that preseason.

Mind, I wish none of that was factual, but that was Battle and that is currently what Sharman is doing.
With Membery out , Sharman has his chance to show he can play his role - the kid hasn't really been given a good crack as a forward since his first few games and we all know he can kid goals.

Or a dirty torp in deep

The torp as a line breaker isn't a bad method. They are hard to mark and even if you get a hand on them they bounce out and you need a couple of grabs at them. That means guys like May can't gobble them up and we can come in and spoil.

I'm loving him too, his performances after the Adelaide game have been very good. But Peris plays the same position the same way and we probably only have room for one in the team when everyone is fit. Let's not discount the possibility that Peris grabs the spot with both hands and makes the decision difficult.
I'll have ten bucks at evens that Peris doesn't keep Butler out of the team for the rest of the year

The torp as a line breaker isn't a bad method. They are hard to mark and even if you get a hand on them they bounce out and you need a couple of grabs at them. That means guys like May can't gobble them up and we can come in and spoil.
To me if we can't beat the Suns we don't deserve to be playing finals - apart from our forward line we have the experience in our current team to tear Gold Coast a part.
The only real stand out players they have are Miller , Rowell , Anderson , Witts and Lukosius which we can more than cover.

I also believe Ben King will be playing for us next season , he will be hunted by a lot of clubs but knowing we are looking at Tom Dekoning , I feel they will end up with Ben and I'm pretty sure his family would hoping he is in Red White and Black next year.
The only sticking point to me is what we give up for him - hopefully we could do a player swap and whatever draft pick.

To me if we can't beat the Suns we don't deserve to be playing finals - apart from our forward line we have the experience in our current team to tear Gold Coast a part.
The only real stand out players they have are Miller , Rowell , Anderson , Witts and Lukosius which we can more than cover.

I also believe Ben King will be playing for us next season , he will be hunted by a lot of clubs but knowing we are looking at Tom Dekoning , I feel they will end up with Ben and I'm pretty sure his family would hoping he is in Red White and Black next year.
The only sticking point to me is what we give up for him - hopefully we could do a player swap and whatever draft pick.
I love your confidence but it's worth remembering this talk about Ben King comes about every year. He signed a deal there on massive coin until the end of 2024, I don't see us getting him until then if at all and also worth remembering he would cost a fortune in draft picks and I think we'd probably like to go the draft again this year with some decent picks.

They are in need of experienced players and you don't know who the club is willing to give up to get the deal done.
Membrey , Billing , Ross or who ever they think - getting a bunch of draft picks just will prolong there agony and guys like Rowell , Anderson , Lukousius will be getting itch feet if they are getting flogged every week.

And contracts today are broken all the time , with King with one year left and knowing he wants out it would be there best option - and for Ben he needs to move because all the good draft picks they get they turn them seem to take there brilliance out of them.

Let's see what happens but if they keep him to his contract he will be gone the following year anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back