Preview Round 20, 2023: Hawthorn v St.Kilda - Marvel Stadium, Sunday 30th July, 1:10PM AEST

Who Wins?

• Hawks

Votes: 42 60.0%
  • Saints

Votes: 28 40.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you want a game comment, we will definitely up for the challenge this time, we underestimated Hawthorn last time and took the W before the game started.

We know where they're good and can easily cover their strengths.
I'm very interested to see what we do differently going into the forward 50. Clearly Sicily was a major issue last time and Ross has said we're putting work into him through the week. Can't wait to see what we will do to negate his influence over the game.

Tomorrow becomes so damn important with the results so far.
Win and it potentially means we only need 1 more win.
Lose and we hand back any form of momentum and break we could have gotten on that chasing pack.
Some major upsets today - Cats being beaten at home --- Suns flogging the Lions and the Dogs getting beaten by GWS.

No excuses, reality is that Brad Crouch has been so good since coming to Saints that Bytel hasn't had the opportunities to get consecutive games. Would I rather Crouch or Bytel? Crouch for sure but what happens when Crouch gets injured? Who replaces him when we get rid of Bytel? We need depth and people on the Saints board want to get rid of that. He cost nothing and if he leaves what do we get for him and can we replace Bytel with a better player from the pick we get? I don't think so, why not give a year contract, give him a new role and see if he can thrive and even flourish under Ross. What's the worse that happens? Nothing.
We definitely need midfield depth but I'd rather we go with a Matt Crouch type, who is still pretty decent at AFL level, than continue with the same poor depth players we've had.

I'm very interested to see what we do differently going into the forward 50. Clearly Sicily was a major issue last time and Ross has said we're putting work into him through the week. Can't wait to see what we will do to negate his influence over the game.
Once again it comes down to the midfield , a big out for them this time is Amon - he killed us last time.

We definitely need midfield depth but I'd rather we go with a Matt Crouch type, who is still pretty decent at AFL level, than continue with the same poor depth players we've had.
Interesting what they do , because we all know that is what is holding us back , fix that and game and structure gets fixed.

I haven't been a Gresh fan for a while and not trying to make excuses for him, but I think there is definitely something to be said for his achilles rupture a couple years back. It's a pretty devasting injury and it's not uncommon for pro athletes to never reach the same level of performance they could prior to the injury. Have only browsed, but there is a bit of research into it's effects on athletes particularly in the NBA.
that was my fear.

Pegged him as Billings/Gresh replacement myself, NWM released Hill and Sincs for mid transition, Windy would do similar if Coffield was around but I also don't think Coff will go back to what he was so remains to be seen. Is why I see Bytel as Ross repalcement as sometime inside mid, most time plug and linkage, only Bytel doesn't have the workrate to do it.

Ross has always been a funny sort of fit. He's not the contested clearance beast, but sometimes he can do that ( not always ). He's played inside and slow outsider who can kick ok if he doesn't get too ambitious.
Bytel seems to be only good at contested possessions, tackles , clearances.

I'd chase Mathieson first then Crouch but either would be a handy option even if they end up at Sandy helping teach our kids how to play. Realistically they push a Jones or Clark out of a spot unless performing and both should finish up just as the kids are ready to take over full time.

Ross has always been a funny sort of fit. He's not the contested clearance beast, but sometimes he can do that ( not always ). He's played inside and slow outsider who can kick ok if he doesn't get too ambitious.

He's an inside receiver who runs and covers defensively. He doesn't rove, he's more the dish off option.

Bytel needed to get a good run of games in the midfield to see if can cut it , not playing him there is just not giving him a chance to show if is any good.
Playing on a wing is totally different position , having to be a endurance beast who can cover in defense and be a link up through the midfield which he has never played.- The reason Byrne , Wood and Hill are given the job.
The reasoning not playing him there is most probably we can't afford too , when our midfield is already struggling and management are wanting to get to finals.
And when he had his chance he suffered injury - I don't know if he will be kept on next year but he has showed in the 2s he can play and it must be realized the kid has most probably only played about 20 games in the 2s over over 4 years which is not going to develop his game in anyway.

Sad injury has effected his development , but him being on the list for another year really hurt , I don't think so even if he is only helping Sandringham.

Bytel needed to get a good run of games in the midfield to see if can cut it , not playing him there is just not giving him a chance to show if is any good.
Playing on a wing is totally different position , having to be a endurance beast who can cover in defense and be a link up through the midfield which he has never played.- The reason Byrne , Wood and Hill are given the job.
The reasoning not playing him there is most probably we can't afford too , when our midfield is already struggling and management are wanting to get to finals.
And when he had his chance he suffered injury - I don't know if he will be kept on next year but he has showed in the 2s he can play and it must be realized the kid has most probably only played about 20 games in the 2s over over 4 years which is not going to develop his game in anyway.

Sad injury has effected his development , but him being on the list for another year really hurt , I don't think so even if he is only helping Sandringham.

I reckon he's up against it. There are lots of guys around his level not on lists and he's struggled to make an impact when played.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd chase Mathieson first then Crouch but either would be a handy option even if they end up at Sandy helping teach our kids how to play. Realistically they push a Jones or Clark out of a spot unless performing and both should finish up just as the kids are ready to take over full time.
The remaining games are going to make or break a few careers - Jones and Clark are 2 that need to really show what they have and if they go down with injury again they could be moved on.

Why can't we have both? Matt is 28 and Brad is 29. Gives us sometime to try and develop Bytel. Poor coaching have stunted alot of our younger guys, you just need to look at Byrnes.

I reckon he's up against it. There are lots of guys around his level not on lists and he's struggled to make an impact when played.
That is true but I firmly believe he hasn't been given the time in the middle playing hardly any 2s and only fleeting given a go in the middle in the seniors and it must be remembered he only just turn 23 and Parish didn't show anything until he was 24 and was in the same boat as Bytel until they had no other options in the midfield because Merret , Shiel had long term injuries and the only reason Parish was kept was because he was a high draft pick - most probably.
Anyway the coaches will determine if he is worth keeping and it will be interesting to see what they do - to me his biggest problem is he hasn't shown he can play in another position.

Matt Crouch isn't Brad. He's never been quite as good, and his flaws have been that little bit worse.

Matt had 37 disposals in their losing GF. Won player of the year in the Age that year too. Pretty similar to Tom Mitchell IMO, he's a real old school high possession mid that's a bit old fashioned now but in a side that can't win their own ball he'd be awesome.

Matt had 37 disposals in their losing GF. Won player of the year in the Age that year too. Pretty similar to Tom Mitchell IMO, he's a real old school high possession mid that's a bit old fashioned now but in a side that can't win their own ball he'd be awesome.

Saints win the ball a fair bit, and hold their own in that area. After they win the ball they kick it to Santa Claus.

Just looked it up, Matt had 2 more contested possessions the year they made final, and a fair few the following year.
Always thought Brad had a bit better disposal though neither is great.

Early in the week (may have been first crack with Kingy) there was some footage on Carlton and how they'd tweaked things to be more 'man on man' and eased up a bit on the zoning. Their players look like they playing with more freedom.

Being at our Suns game there was some efforts where I thought our players got lost in their heads. Then last week Gerard Healy said something similar in the 3rd quarter. Made us look like we were running in mud as they had a million thoughts.

Then in the last it seemed a few shackles were released. Only my gut feel but watching Ross 1.0 in 2007 at times we looked similar.

Not tanking but a strict adherence to playing the style that he believes wins many games and gets you to the pointy end? Training the kids so that the exhausting processing/thinking of what/where/when to do in each situation becomes second nature? Or does he relax it to win games? Going to be a fascinating last 5 games.

Win none, Finish 15th (possibly on other results). Kids playing "the style". Grab a gun mid in the draft, get an easy draw again in 24 but miss out on a FA?

Win 3 playing "the style". Make finals. Grab a FA

and all other combos

fascinating last 5 weeks. Great to be alive and a Saints supporter!

Going to be a fascinating last 5 games.

Win none, Finish 15th (possibly on other results). Kids playing "the style". Grab a gun mid in the draft, get an easy draw again in 24 but miss out on a FA?

Win 3 playing "the style". Make finals. Grab a FA

and all other combos

fascinating last 5 weeks. Great to be alive and a Saints supporter!

Could go any outcome

Matt Crouch isn't Brad. He's never been quite as good, and his flaws have been that little bit worse.
In 2017, Crouch lifted his game to a new level, averaging 33 disposals per game and finishing second in the AFL for disposals after the regular season, and during the finals broke Dane Swan's AFL record for most disposals in a complete season with 825. He was selected in the 2017 All-Australian team and nominated by his club for the AFL Players Association MVP Award.[8]

All Australian - amazing how he is battling to get a game at the Crows and has struggled for the last 2yrs to get a game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back