Autopsy Round 4, 2023: St.Kilda v Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah it's already time for Saints supporters to stop moaning about it. We've got 2 of the best, and word is that McLennan is also something to watch.

Most of the whinging is people trying to say how there was never a problem and everything was always on track like they hadn't noticed 12 years of being shithouse at most things we touched and that our good performance is all due to that period. If people ant to be deluded do it quietly and no-one will respond.

Yep, Saints coaching press conferences are worth listening to again.

And don’t get me started on those shocking coaches videos that Cho and Ratts would send out after each game.

Just hearing the words “G’day Saints fans” gives me all sorts of post traumatic stress reactions.

Last edited:
Blows my mind that the Suns did not go for Clarko or RTB when available. That list should be finishing top 4.

The appointment of Lyon and Clarko shows how overrated "process" is when selecting a coach. Especially for a guy who's done it before. Just go and get the guy you want and back him in.

Also how bloody good is Mitch Owens. Breakout game x100.

Same with GWS, blew the best years of one of the best assembled groups of talent in history.

Yep, Saints coaching press conferences are with listening to again.

And don’t get me started on those shocking coaches videos that Cho and Ratts would send out after each game.

Just hearing the words “G’day Saints fans” gives me all sorts of post traumatic stress reactions.

How good is having a pro set-up. I feel like football is an actual enjoyment again.

I’ve watched the press conference three times. I could listen to RTB talk all day. Such a word smith despite keeping his messaging simple.

Confirmation after watching the replay on just how odd the interpretation of holding the ball was last night.

Every umpire is always going to be slightly different, but it was almost like this guy just hadn’t updated to the rulings.

The umpiring was awful again. I reckon they gifted them half their score. So many uneven interpretations and more seemed to favour them.

Byrnes killing that Wing role too. Absolute running machine. He also went beast mode in the middle and won an amazing clearance which led to Owens’ freak goal.

He’s playing his role perfectly under Ross. My big call is he won’t get dropped from here on in, unless he gets injured.
His goal kicking is no bloody good but he’s doing well everywhere else.

Ryan Byrnes.

I shout out to the young man. The efforts were huge.
He's been great this year. Quiet against the dogs after they put some work into him...but has been terrific to watch otherwise. Has cleaned up his disposal and decision making and seems more composed and assured.
The kids are coming along nicely.

Watching the highlights too many times at this point but I cant get over some of the team play, cant pick my fav team moment

1. The wood spoil at his max vertical to spoil cutting across the front (Casboult had his name all over that mark) then the flicky handball game along the boundary with a little midair handpass with Owens until it was back in Woods hands and kicked forward, ended in the downfield free for the Pou goal

2. The Byrnes chase down htb on the boundary, Stocker takes the ball off the opponent hands it to Byrnes then runs on to receive the first kick. then we work it up the side again to Ross to kick forward to Owens then onto Cordy Goal

3. Cordys clean centre tap to Crouch with the handball to Byrnes who breaks 2 tacklers somehow, heaves it forward, Higgens big double hand tap on to Owens on the run for the snap goal running toward the boundary.

Honourable mention the Owens tapdown to Sinclair goal & and the massive pack crash from Caminiti and the handball game in the f50 for Butlers goal

I just love them, especially the first 2 that only started because of busting a gut defensively, these are the kind of efforts that win teams finals and premierships. Owens involved in all 3, Byrnes in 2 (these efforts will earn him a solid spot in the 22)

If anyone says we have a boring style point to this, because whoever says it clearly doesn't understand the game.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Reading “G’day Saints fans” then in your post triggered a spasm in my face, thanks a lot.

I have to say… that was my favourite part of the game… and Stocker came in because the GC player put a knee into Woods shoulder, Stocker came in… Holman came in to make it 2 on one… Daddy Battle broke it up because it wasn’t fair a fight, Stocker would have chinned them both

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Speaking of Battle his getting a touch on the dribble the GC player did in the 2nd was ******* pleasing.

Especially seeing it on the player race.

those outs (aside from obviously King, Membrey and Steele) look less like disadvantages and more just damage to our depth when the replacements are playing so well. I always go on about it but aside from those three I think our current 22 has been performing so far above expectations that the "INS" back from injury might not even make the team better (exceptions to King, Membrey and Steele). The only ones to come back are essentially downgrades or sidegrades from current performing players.
I couldn't agree more. I doubt even with a full list that we would be any better placed than we are now. I would like to see Billings get a proper crack at it under Lyon though before we part company.

Last edited:
When the afl is currently looking down the barrel of a few hundred million dollars class action, i think they definately should have some say in what happens.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app
Agreed - and they definitely do have a say given they first banned players returning to the field. And now banned playing the next week, its not a big stretch to say someone has had 1 too many.

I couldn't agree more. I doubt even with a full list that we would be any better placed than we are now. I would like to see Billings get a proper crack it under Lyon though before we part company.
Probably my strongest held belief about our side. Both a bLessing and a curse that our incredible depth means there’s not much to go up from here but also we can’t be hurt by injuries. Obviously (king and Steele aside as they’re genuinely the two star stars)

Spot on mate.

How ******* good is this kid????

Absolutely love him.

And I’ve been running though in my head for weeks who he reminds me of out of players in the past in the league. Have come up with a weird hybrid of Stevie J, Hamill and Fyfe but, seriously, he’s so unique, haven’t seen someone like him before which makes it even better.

We’ve got a special player on our hands everyone, and it feels amazing.

The marking the aerial presence the goals on the run the midfield aggression the ability to play across the ground ruck forward and mid. Adam Goodes 2.0 on our hands here. Hopefully with the two Brownlows too

Most of the whinging is people trying to say how there was never a problem and everything was always on track like they hadn't noticed 12 years of being shithouse at most things we touched and that our good performance is all due to that period. If people ant to be deluded do it quietly and no-one will respond.

Wow that's some revisionism. You have crapped on for years about how bad our recruiting and drafting has been.

Not one person has said it has been perfect, Billings over Bont, McCartin over Petracca, Goddard, Dunstan, Acres to a lesser extent, and a bunch of picks like Long when Shai Bolton was still to be drsfted etc, etc.
However the constant shitcanning of what we have done since 2016 is being shown up for what it is.
Do I think we will win the flag? I would be surprised if we got top four, but we now have the structure to at least make the 8. I think we still need at least one more quality mid, maybe a big bodied backman. The results are hiding some gaps that well may be exposed by Collingwood or Melbourne, maybe a very tall Carlton.

The point is this constant criticism of drafting and trading is being shown to be quantifiably incorrect.
Hill
Howard
Higgins
Butler
Crouch
are all.playing excellent football.
Paddy is gone
Jones is a disappointment.
Then we look at draftees
Battle
Clark
Byrnes
NWM
Owens
Windhager all great
Coff and King injured but are quality
Then the moneyball players
Sinclair
Marshall
Wood
Stocker
Caminiti

Every play except Sinclair (2014), and Battle (2016) have come on board since 2017.
All the arguments are being shown up. Will it last? Who knows, but the structure would suggest it will.
If it doesn't, the last 4 weeks and the way we have played each game shows its not the drafting and recruitment.
Please find something else at the club to bag, I am sure you can.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back