Unofficial Preview Round 4 Early Thoughts: Western Bulldogs v Sydney Swans @ Etihad

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stoked I get to see AA live again, a second excitement machine to go with Buddy. Happy to see him make a few mistakes if he's taking the game on, the Dogs are unlikely to hurt us too much on the rebound (touch wood).

Was hoping too see more fawning about his inclusion on here (after the endless complaints about him not being selected) but you get that.

I can see the smaller forward line working if Buddy plays up the ground again - we always seem to lower our eyes at Etihad more for some reason.

It's the roof. they're too afraid of hitting the roof hahaha

I wonder where we are going to play Buddy. If we play him deep I really hope the Swans can isolate him, and the other forwards make sure their opponent goes with them instead of trying to double team Buddy. With the Bulldogs defence Buddy is going to be at a huge advantage one on one as most of their defenders are too short, and the one that isn't has only played 4 games.

I wonder where we are going to play Buddy. If we play him deep I really hope the Swans can isolate him, and the other forwards make sure their opponent goes with them instead of trying to double team Buddy. With the Bulldogs defence Buddy is going to be at a huge advantage one on one as most of their defenders are too short, and the one that isn't has only played 4 games.

It's a conundrum. Play him up the park and we have someone capable of hitting our smaller guys on the lead.
Or play him deep and hope we can isolate him one on one.

Surely a bit of both throughout the game to keep them guessing.

Aliir wasn’t the scapegoat for 0-6 start.
He came back after an interrupted preseason and was lacking form.
Failed to turn up to training session and was penalised by the club.
When fit Melican was playing too well to be dropped.
Melican is now injured and Aliir gets his chance.

I was referring to what happened before he was dropped. He wasn't lacking form, he played one poor game against West Coast in Perth.

89% efficiency would say different

Are you referring to one game or is that his average? If so I have no idea how. He's nowhere near our worst by foot, but he's not our best. He throws it on the boot without any reason, and he's more guilty of trying to do the cute kicks than any player we have.

I do like him in the side but his kicking is not a stand-out at all. I'd take Lloyd, Buddy, Aliir, McVeigh (when he's on) and Hewett by foot before Newman.

There is no real rule book about grief and grieving. His wife will need a lot of support as well and really, football is not in the same sphere as this situation. He needs to do whatever it is he needs to do at the moment. If it helps him and the family to get back into footy asap, great but if not, he needs the support of everyone to allow him to do that.
True, there is no rule book and each individual deals with it differently. However most models I have seen, for both individual and communal grief, recommend that the sooner you return to day to day life after the initial grieving period the better.

He most definitely should NOT be asked to step aside for the sake of his team.

Yes Had a good cry. Bad enough losing a loved one but to lose a child is just devastating.
My heart is aching. Just a horrible circumstance. One baby which you will love endlessly till the end of your days, but which will always remind you of the other one, that didn't survive.

And to have known, thanks to modern technology turning us into little gods, months in advance that this was going to be the outcome. Shakespeareian.

I thought that would have been obvious haha!

I'm just saying I feel for him because I know unless he has a faultless game he won't please some people

It is like Buddy or JPK or Rampe, we get so caught up in all the other BS that we sometimes forget how lucky we are to watch them play.
For now it doesn't really matter what happens afterwards, I will just try to enjoy what Aliir brings to the game, good or bad.

Oh well, keeps us humble. Sydney Swans' No Dickheads Policy clearly applies to us fans as well.

I'm not sure we're exempt from having dickheads amongst us. But I take solace in the fact we are not the worst. For example, today a Richmond supporter complained to my face about how Buddy should have been pinged on the weekend for an illegal high fend-off.

A. Richmond. supporter.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It is like Buddy or JPK or Rampe, we get so caught up in all the other BS that we sometimes forget how lucky we are to watch them play.
For now it doesn't really matter what happens afterwards, I will just try to enjoy what Aliir brings to the game, good or bad.

That's always been my perspective, particularly with the inexperienced Swans. For every mistake Aliir makes in a game, it's usually on the back of something brilliant he's done to get the ball in the first place. I prefer to focus on that.

SHould probably tell us all the ins.

In:
Unpredictability, excitement, speed and accurate disposal in rebound 50's from AA.

Players spotting each other up like round 1&3 to make lightning transition & limit turnovers.

Hannebery to play a tagging role again so his disposal doesn't punish the team.

Out:
Continuous BF complaining on matchday RE:
(1) Reid into defence.
(2) Rohan's possession count.
(3) AA not getting a game.

I say this every time we play the Bulll flogs. Don't let Caleb Daniels roam through the midfield by himself.
He sets up a lot of their i50s with his 20 to 30m kicks. And his disposal efficiency is very high.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back