Preview Round 4 v Demons

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Round 4: Melbourne Demons vs Fremantle Dockers at the Melbourne Cricket Ground

IMG_1282.JPG Actual_fremantle_logo.png
Last time they met:

Round 16 2016 (9/7/16): Melbourne Demons 87 (12.15) defeat Fremantle Dockers 55 (8.7) at the TIO Stadium

Teams then:

Melbourne:

B: Frost, T.McDonald, Jetta

HB: Hunt, O.McDonald, M.Jones

C: Petracca, Vince, Harmes

HF: Gartlett, Watts, Stretch

F: Vandenberg, Hogan, Kent

FOL: Gawn, N.Jones, Viney

I/C: Tyson, Grimes, Kennedy, White

Fremantle:

B: Ibbotson, Dawson, Sutcliffe

HB: Crozier, Collins, Spurr

C: Hill, Neale, Suban

HF: Mayne, Taberner, Walters

F: Weller, Pavlich, Ballantyne

FOL: Griffin, Mundy, Pearce

I/C: Sheridan, Tucker, Blakely, Langdon

Summary: The Demons got over Freo very early on with a near on 30 point lead at the first break, and never looked like conceding the lead through out the night, eventually winning by 32 points. Lachie Neale was prolific as he always was in 2016, with 33 touches through out the night. Cam Sutcliffe and Stephen Hill were the next highest with 22 touches. Up forward, our lord and saviour managed 3 in his last game up in Darwin, while Chris Mayne managed 2 as well. Jesse Hogan and Jack Watts killed us up forward, kicking 7 between them, while the likes of Viney, Jones and Grimes were also busy throughout the game.

Last 5 times:

R16, 2016, Melbourne 12.15 (87) d Fremantle 8.7 (55) at TIO Stadium
R22, 2015, Fremantle 17.6 (108) d Melbourne 8.6 (54) at Domain Stadium
R5, 2015, Fremantle 18.10 (118) d Melbourne 6.14 (50) at the MCG
R16, 2014, Fremantle 15.7 (97) d Melbourne 4.10 (34) at TIO Stadium
R21, 2013, Fremantle 20.13 (133) d Melbourne 5.8 (38) at the MCG

Round 3:

A week is an awful long time in football. A week ago, we were down in the dumps. Now we’re just a few days removed from having our side defeat the reigning premiers in one of our best wins in some time. The inclusion of Brady Grey, Tom Sheridan, Hayden Crozier, Griffin Logue, Harley Balic and Ethan Hughes injected some much-needed youth and energy into the line-up, and we saw a much cleaner kicking side, along with immense forward pressure, helping to result in what we saw Saturday night. A vintage Mundy performance, along with good games from the like of Shane Kersten, along with Joel Hamling having a blinder down back, helped to do the job. Even better, with no injuries from the game and no suspensions, means we can go in with an unchanged side, that after Saturday, is at the top of their game.

Meanwhile Melbourne who were expected to challenge for the top 8 this season, went down against Geelong in a game in which they really should have won. The inaccurate goal kicking that Melbourne put up on the table came back, and cost them, as despite dominating the 2nd and 3rd term, they made little scoreboard impact. Injuries and suspension will also come back to hurt them. In a massive blow, star ruckman Max Gawn, is gawn, after a hamstring injury which will set himself out for 12 weeks, while Bernie Vince is also under a cloud after a toenail problem. Jordan Lewis and Jesse Hogan also will be watching on thanks to the two of them being suspended after their round 2 match. Michael Hibberd may not be back from an Achilles injury, while Colin Garland is also gone for the season.

Round 3 Teams:

Melbourne:

B: C.Salem, T.McDonald, J.Hunt

HB: N.Jetta, O.McDonald, N.Jones

C: B.Vince, D.Tyson, J.Harmes

HF: M.Hannan, S.Weideman, A.Neal-Bullen

F: J.Garlett, C.Petracca, T.Smith

FOL: M.Gawn, C.Oliver, J.Viney

I/C: J.Watts, B.Stretch, D.Kent, J.Melksham

Fremantle:

B: E.Hughes, J.Hamling, L.Spurr

HB: G.Ibbotson, M.Johnson, T.Sheridan

C: S.Hill, L.Neale, B.Hill

HF: L.Weller, C.McCarthy, E.Langdon

F: M.Walters, S.Kersten, B.Grey

FOLL: A.Sandilands, N.Fyfe, D.Mundy

I/C: C.Blakely, H.Balic, G.Logue, H.Crozie

Changes?

Melbourne: Melbourne are obviously going to need to make a change following the loss of Max Gawn for 3 months, with big Jake Spencer looking like the obvious choice to replace him as the ruck. Sam Weideman is also a big chance to be dropped following a poor performance against Geelong. Angus Brayshaw could be one who comes back in as well.

Fremantle: Fremantle at this point do not look required to make any changes, with Ethan Hughes possibly the most vulnerable to be dropped.

Key Match-Ups:

Joel Hamling v Jack Watts: No longer the joke of the league, Jack Watts is finally a seriously good AFL player. I think Hamling will go to him, as Hamling can play on both talls and smalls, and given the mobility of Watts, I think Hamling could well be our best option here. Griffin Logue could also spend some time on Watts potentially.

Neville Jetta v Michael Walters: Neville Jetta is a quality small defender, and will more than likely go to Walters for that reason. If Fremantle are to win, we will need Walters to have an influence, and for that to happen, he’ll have to nullify Jetta.

Midfield battle: The midfield battle will be an interesting one, as the Dees have a very good midfield. The likes of Jones, Oliver, Viney and Tyson to name a few are quality players, and the side who wins the midfield, will have every advantage in the game. Fyfe, Neale and co will have to use the advantage of Sandi, to win this battle.

Key Points:

• · Kicking. Both for goals and in the field. Melbourne was hurt by their kicking for goals on Saturday. Freo’s kicking has caused us all sort of grief week in, week out for years.

• · The midfield. Both sides have quality midfields, but the question is, what will the impact of no Gawn have for Melbourne.

• · Pressure. Can Freo keep up the pressure we had on Saturday? Time will tell

• · The youf. Can Balic, Logue and Hughes build on their games on Saturday? Will Grey keep up his efforts? Can Crozier play his 2nd good game in a row playing forward? Can Blakely have an impact again?
  • Can we get the jump again? Our fast start last week had an enormous impact, and if we can manage another one, it too will send us a long way closer to taking out the match

Prediction:

Let’s be positive. Freo by 14. Fyfe to have 30, Blakely to have 25, Grey to match his efforts, McCarthy to kick 4.

Let’s see more of this!

Last edited:

I'm going over for this game. Mate is taking me into MCG members section. It just got a whole lot more interesting after Saturday nights showing from us.
Thanks for the preview. Genuine 50/50 game for mine. Melbourne have some serious quality but with a few good ones out we are every chance.

Would love to see Logue on Watts, but Hamling is the right match up. Great to have options available.

Have they become reliant on Gawn as we are with Sandilands? What is Spencer like?

Spencer is good in the ruck and has a real crack but he doesn't really provide a lot around the ground, he may take the odd mark here or there up forward but he definitely has a presence about him.

A bit Mumford-esque in that if he gets a hand on one your midfielders he will basically try send them through the ground to China.

Gawn's marking in defense and the option he presents when resting forward is what we will really miss with him but Spencer has a fair streak of aggression in him.

Spencer is good in the ruck and has a real crack but he doesn't really provide a lot around the ground, he may take the odd mark here or there up forward but he definitely has a presence about him.

A bit Mumford-esque in that if he gets a hand on one your midfielders he will basically try send them through the ground to China.

Gawn's marking in defense and the option he presents when resting forward is what we will really miss with him but Spencer has a fair streak of aggression in him.
Too much information. I meant, does he have a beard?

Too much information. I meant, does he have a beard?
He actually does now.

0cf2ee897fa0df4452abbac9c6d878be

Fear the Wooly Mammoth!

excellent write-up van dyke. I think we will trouble them big-time in the midfield.
Theirs is good, but they have to take-on Fye, Sandi, Mundy, Hill's, Neale, Blakely, Balic
We bat deeper, and have more A grade.
Their's is inferior to the Bulldogs for example.
Stronger for longer and we win.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just went and looked him up in footywire.....

I thought Watts was terrific against Geelong.

I'm expecting the kids to struggle away from home, especially if we're nervous in the first five minutes. If we start well, then it probably won't be as much of an issue.

Reckon the Melbourne kids will fire up for this while we will dip in our movement. Hoping our fwd line goes up another gear and we win in a tight one.

Considering where we were, that we're even entertaining a win is still beyond me.

Huge test for the team.

First game at the MCG for several players (assuming minimal changes) and its such a different ground to Subi. Like LD said we are not going to catch Melbourne by surprise this week, I'm sure Freo are penciled in as a must win for them and they'll be preparing for what we all saw on Saturday.

Still Melbourne have some big outs and our boys will know that a couple of poor performances will see them back in the wafl so just hoping for a strong first quarter. If we're well in the contest at the first break and keep running till the end then we are not likely to have much to complain about, win or lose.

Gawn is a massive out for them and gives us a tactical advantage with Sandilands. Hogan missing helps as well as that Hawthorn thug Lewis.
We're in with a sniff but don't underestimate Melbourne - they're a team on the rise.

Win, lose or draw I demand to see the application the side showed against the Premiers.

Good preview. We will need Neale & Walters back to their best, they haven't got there yet this season. Logue should track Watts, he has the tank to frustrate him all day.
Brady Grey should go to Nathan Jones.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back