Preview Round 5, 2022: Hawks v Cats, Easter Monday.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very interesting selection week this one. Unlike many posters, I don't think Sam is going to have an overaction to the one bad week at the expense of continuing to rebuild our list by exposing kids to the level. And the brand of footy he wants us to play.

Like many, I'd love to see Long given an opportunity on the big stage. Worpel needs to find form at Box Hill.

Ward and Macdonald will need a rest at points this year, but they get an extra day's break this week and an Easter Monday clash is all part of their development on the bigger stage.

Personally I thought Maginness offered the run we were badly missing on the weekend. I'd love to see hiim back in the 22, working on his game as we are rebuilding. Offers more scope than Shiels, Phillips and Howe for me. Downie is the one that can hopefully push past them all once he gets a block of games at Box Hill.

If Lynch can't get up, one of Kosi, Jeka or Callow needs to play. Sadly, I don't think any of their form warrants a call up but.

I hope we don't have any games this year with all of O'Meara, Shiels, Phillips and Howe in the 22.

I'm not sure what's going on with Brocky, but it's a shame he isn't available to play at the moment. Not a great sign on Seamus Mitchell being dropped to Box Hill 2s either.

Looking at Box Hill it's evident we still need to hit the draft hard in the coming years as the depth of list isn't there at the moment.

Box hill aren’t playing ove Easter and the 2s aren’t playing at all. The comfortably accounted for Sandringham though

Outs: Day, Worpel, Howe
Ins: Lynch (or Callow), Long and Phillips/Shiels

Even though he looked tired, I’d like Ward to get another week with CMac as sub. One of Phillips or Shiels and Long to add endurance and toughness. Long, Ward and DGB get invaluable experience in a big game.

Dimma Frost DGB
CJ Sicily Scrim
Morrison Newk Phillips/Shiels
Bruest Gunston Long
Moore Lewis Lynch
Reeves Nash Mitchell
Jaeger Ward Impey Finn
Sub: CMac (managed)

Very interesting selection week this one. Unlike many posters, I don't think Sam is going to have an overaction to the one bad week at the expense of continuing to rebuild our list by exposing kids to the level. And the brand of footy he wants us to play.

Like many, I'd love to see Long given an opportunity on the big stage. Worpel needs to find form at Box Hill.

Ward and Macdonald will need a rest at points this year, but they get an extra day's break this week and an Easter Monday clash is all part of their development on the bigger stage.

Personally I thought Maginness offered the run we were badly missing on the weekend. I'd love to see hiim back in the 22, working on his game as we are rebuilding. Offers more scope than Shiels, Phillips and Howe for me. Downie is the one that can hopefully push past them all once he gets a block of games at Box Hill.

If Lynch can't get up, one of Kosi, Jeka or Callow needs to play. Sadly, I don't think any of their form warrants a call up but.

I hope we don't have any games this year with all of O'Meara, Shiels, Phillips and Howe in the 22.

I'm not sure what's going on with Brocky, but it's a shame he isn't available to play at the moment. Not a great sign on Seamus Mitchell being dropped to Box Hill 2s either.

Looking at Box Hill it's evident we still need to hit the draft hard in the coming years as the depth of list isn't there at the moment.
Not a great sign on Seamus Mitchell being dropped to Box Hill 2s either.

Why do people post things as fact when they dont know

He had covid

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Doesn’t look like Long had a big game for BHH. If anyone comes in would be Shiels or Phillips based on reserves form I would think.
Long was everywhere defensively. Shiels and Flip got a lot more ball on the outside. But as a midfielder Long’s defensive work is probably more valuable.

Last edited:
We need to bring in a big body up forward to spread out the Cats defence, otherwise they'll pick off everything.

I like the idea of Long in and to keep him as a half forward. Lynch in if fit

Ins: Lynch, Long
Outs: Day, Howe

I wouldn't mind Worpel having a rest. Shouldn't continue to play if he's injured. He's showed that its too far of a hinderence.

We'll nail this - don't stress

15 point win. Lock it in.
No we won't.
We'll be lucky to win another game while the Kennett/Racism thing is going on.
Remember those 'unhawthorn' like performances last year, they happened when the club was divided by the Clarko business.
Same this year.

Out - Kennett
In - anybody decent,

Long put on 10 tackles again.

Long was everywhere defensively. Shiels and Flip got a lot more ball on the outside. But as a midfielder Long’s defensive work probably more valuable.

Thanks and good to know! I didn't see the game just looked at the match report on the Hawks website which didn't mention Long anywhere in the bests.

No need to panic and make a heap of changes , back the guys in to redeem themselves.

DGB to Cameron - wont have the tank but will learn a lot
Frost to Hawkins - back him in

Bring Long in , sounds like its warranted . Thats 3 debutants in 5 games from last draft , all deserved selections.
Great result for the club long term.
Ward, Cmac and Long can learn heaps from the Cats mids.

This game should almost be to set a platform to roll these guys and give them windburn in 12 months match .

If we have decision making and ball use like last week itll be a blowout.
Ill back us to be competitive and push them for patches .

Worpel has to be omitted, unfortunately. He’s played one good game and had three bad games this year. Being a best & fairest winner doesn’t make him immune to being dropped.

What the midfield sorely lacks right now is speed and skill. The sooner Day, Impey and Bramble can all play in the midfield, the better off the midfield will be. It’s too predictable with Mitchell, O’Meara and Worpel as the starting midfielders. I’m keen to see what Ned Long can add to the mix.

Worpel has to be omitted, unfortunately. He’s played one good game and had three bad games this year. Being a best & fairest winner doesn’t make him immune to being dropped.

What the midfield sorely lacks right now is speed and skill. The sooner Day, Impey and Bramble can all play in the midfield, the better off the midfield will be. It’s too predictable with Mitchell, O’Meara and Worpel as the starting midfielders. I’m keen to see what Ned Long can add to the mix.
That was something I noticed in Sunday (and over many matches the last three years) is that none of our primary midfielders actually run with the ball.

And when they do try they get hammered due to a lack of speed and size (JOM and Worps attempted don't argues as an example).

We don't have anyone like a Guthrie at the Cats or a Petracca who can do a quick 15m burst then dispose of the ball by foot.

Probably Newk is the only mid we have that looks to take the game on in this fashion?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back