Autopsy Round 5 - Sydney d Fremantle by 16 points - Positives and Negatives

Remove this Banner Ad

Yet we still had Crozier, Sheridan and Simpson available for this game, who are all capable of hitting the scoreboard, but Lyon didn't pick them. Just picked the same old plodders.

admittingly matty and suban didn't have great games last night but i do not think crozier and sheridan would of changed the result. crozier's game against the bombers wasn't particularly inspiring and sheridan is a midfielder.

of those three, i think simpson should of been on the plane and was unlucky to miss out. it is unfortunate that he will probably won't be picked next week as well. :(

lets be honest, matty's deficiencies was made even more obvious because mayne had an absolute shocker. when mayne is doing his stuff, a lot of us are more tolerant of matty and him being a "role player".

funny how a grand final appearance changes people's expectations. some people are reacting to last night's game as if we lost to melbourne by 100 points.

Sheridan 8 goals in 14 games
Crozier 10 goals in 14 games
Simpson 1 goal in 2 games
Suban 17 goals in 26 games (2013/14)
de Boer 11 goals 30 games (2013/14)

Maybe Suban should have played a full game seeing as he is the one who hits the scoreboard the most.

The first 3 guys you mentioned have played most of their games as subs and still have a higher goal per game ratio. Sheridan plays as a midfielder who is often the sub and still kicks more goals per game than De Boer who plays forward and has never been the sub.

Yet we still had Crozier, Sheridan and Simpson available for this game, who are all capable of hitting the scoreboard, but Lyon didn't pick them. Just picked the same old plodders.

When did any of those 3 have a positive impact on the scoreboard in the past?

That's right - never, or at least not yet.

The first 3 guys you mentioned have played most of their games as subs and still have a higher goal per game ratio. Sheridan plays as a midfielder who is often the sub and still kicks more goals per game than De Boer who plays forward and has never been the sub.

So they should be fresh and making a scoring contribution.

However...

No but we just lost to a team that the Pies, Roos and Giants managed to get over comfortably.

Typical Freo luck to hit a team like Sydney when they are pissed off and their backs are to the wall.

I do buy it.

A quiet chat with Balla about being a crumber and not hit up leading forward is in order as well imo.

This, this, this. I'm so glad someone else has picked it. We saw what happened to Medhurst, from crumber to cutting in front of Pav and generally playing like he was 6ft 10in

Mind you the mids did him no favours yesterday, bombing it over his head time after time. He does suffer from Walters' absence, that's obvious.

I had us at 3 & 2, so I'm not devastated, just disappointed with the endeavour and execution yesterday. I'm reasonably confident with Norf, Port and Weages, Geelong will be massive, then a good trot after the bye.

This, this, this. I'm so glad someone else has picked it. We saw what happened to Medhurst, from crumber to cutting in front of Pav and generally playing like he was 6ft 10in

Mind you the mids did him no favours yesterday, bombing it over his head time after time. He does suffer from Walters' absence, that's obvious.

I had us at 3 & 2, so I'm not devastated, just disappointed with the endeavour and execution yesterday. I'm reasonably confident with Norf, Port and Weages, Geelong will be massive, then a good trot after the bye.

Hi Pep. How's the ring gear?

The only reason many of our players haven't been dropped is because we don't have the personnel to replace them with at the moment due to injury/suspensions.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The only reason many of our players haven't been dropped is because we don't have the personnel to replace them with at the moment due to injury/suspensions.

Many of us disagree with that.

I can think of two controversial changes straight up although one is suspended. The other may have ended up playing if he had have made it to the airport.

Another change, I will be ringing Ross about this week; he kicked a goal yesterday.

Despite everything, I wonder if there's been an element of bad luck against us in our two losses?

Last night, Sydney managed to avoid it's worst start to a season in years; which would have been even worse considering their current successes in the last few years. They really absolutely brought out their best A-game to ensure they got the 4 points... similar to Mark Taylor's match winning century in 1996(?) that kept his test captaincy.

Hawthorn also had a massive point to prove as they looked worse for wear against Essendon in their previous round and wanted to make a point against us... and we were the lambs to the slaughter.

I know it's A-grade barrel-scratching; but its a form of Psychology I'd be willing to wager on, which is why I've thrown 50 big ones on Carlton to take out the Bulldogs in the Easter clash today.

Despite everything, I wonder if there's been an element of bad luck against us in our two losses?

Last night, Sydney managed to avoid it's worst start to a season in years; which would have been even worse considering their current successes in the last few years. They really absolutely brought out their best A-game to ensure they got the 4 points... similar to Mark Taylor's match winning century in 1996(?) that kept his test captaincy.

Hawthorn also had a massive point to prove as they looked worse for wear against Essendon in their previous round and wanted to make a point against us... and we were the lambs to the slaughter.

I know it's A-grade barrel-scratching; but its a form of Psychology I'd be willing to wager on, which is why I've thrown 50 big ones on Carlton to take out the Bulldogs in the Easter clash today.

And once again I'm questioning my tips...thanks for that!

Not to sure about Hawthorn, but we definitely got Sydney at the wrong time. Doesn't excuse a pretty awful performance, but they're a better team than has been suggested over the past 4 weeks.

Bit like Essendon last year. Of all the times we had to play them, it was at the start of the year, right as they were coming under fire from the ASADA investigation.

If you are a genuine top two team it does not matter how fired up the Opposition might be you just deal with it. This is now the teams mantra but we are still a work in progress, when the best 20 or so players are available we can deal with any scenario but when injured we can't. Still a positive that our depth is better than at any other time I can recall.

I had us at 4-1, but am content with 3-2. For whatever reason, playing in Sydney has always been tough for us. Thought we gave solid effort for three quarters (the disappearing act in the 2nd was not good).

Positives:

1. No one injured.
2. No one reported.
3. Neither Nat Fyfe nor David Mundy has missed a beat.
4. Pav's set shots are looking much better.
5. Danyle Pearce continues to play well.
6. Tendai Mzungu continues to improve with every game.
7. Big Sandi continues to dominate in the ruck and his chemistry with the mids is getting better.
8. The late 4th quarter fight back. The boys could've easily packed it in.
9. Scoring quickly out of the gate.
10. Luke's first-half Buddy shutdown.

Negatives:

1. The goalless second quarter.
2. The forward line appearing to go MIA for half the match.
3. Uncharacteristically spectating when balls were in dispute.
4. Brain fades during crucial moments (Mayne, alone and streaking inside the forward 50...and forcing a handball to a teammate in traffic? Johno's risky kick-in after a behind...directly into the chest of a Swan? DeBoer stepping over a mark and giving away 50?)
5. For at least the second time, Lee Spurr losing his man during a stoppage and getting pantsed by an opponent, for a goal (Lewis Jetta last night; Cyril Rioli a few weeks back)
6. Mayne, Clarke, Taberner having no shots at goal (see No. 1)
7. Freo's downcast body lingo when going from the rooms to the ground for second half.
8. The gallant 4th quarter fight back falling short.
9. Letting Sydney get too many easy shots at goal.
10. No Mick Barlow in the midfield prevents Fyfe from spending more time up forward, where he could take contested marks inside 50 and take pressure off Pav.

Doom and gloom after the hawthorn loss, back to premiership contenders against the dons, then no chance following an SGC loss.

It is a long season, but this is the beauty of forum discussions.

If freo can win 3 out of the next 4, I would say the season is on track.

admittingly matty and suban didn't have great games last night but i do not think crozier and sheridan would of changed the result. crozier's game against the bombers wasn't particularly inspiring and sheridan is a midfielder.

of those three, i think simpson should of been on the plane and was unlucky to miss out. it is unfortunate that he will probably won't be picked next week as well. :(

lets be honest, matty's deficiencies was made even more obvious because mayne had an absolute shocker. when mayne is doing his stuff, a lot of us are more tolerant of matty and him being a "role player".

funny how a grand final appearance changes people's expectations. some people are reacting to last night's game as if we lost to melbourne by 100 points.
Tas ,
De-Bour's game wasn't that bad I have only watched the game live but he was giving good effort all day and doing the job that RTB set for him to play .
Mayne has not been a shadow of the player he was last year but he is still giving good effort just not on the scoreboard .

if that is how you are going to rate games, i really hope you are not in any tipping competitions ... going to be a long season
It's obviously not how I tip and we weren't talking about tipping. I just made the point that much lesser teams than us were able to beat Sydney.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back