Review Round 7, 2018 - Brisbane Lions vs. Collingwood

Who were your five best players against Collingwood?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Really impressed Berry and McLuggage. Berry is our next Michael Voss and McLuggage has improved enormously in just his second year. He actually reminds me a lot of Nigel Lappin. Both guys will be jets.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

There's more than a dash of Simon Black in McLuggage, and Berry will be as hard as Voss... just maybe not as angry!

Edit - beaten to it by Back2Back2Back

There's more than a dash of Simon Black in McLuggage, and Berry will be as hard as Voss... just maybe not as angry!

Edit - beaten to it by Back2Back2Back

Berry is/will be a fine player but he's got a lot of ground to make up to be in the same league as M Voss

McCluggage on the other hand plays more like Nigel Lappin than Simon Black IMO .I have high confidence that he'll end up just as good as Lappin but perhaps without the afterburners. Lappin had serious jets when he was a young fella.

He isnt an A grader yet but he has been brillant.
Small forwards will have down weeks, it's just the nature of the position. Charlie's done a great job of creating his own opportunities and his disposal and goalkicking appear to have improved out of sight from what they were at the Crows.

Not many small forwards that get 20+ possessions a game. For me it's more about forward pressure and goals. If he averages 4 tackles, a couple of goal assists and 2 goals I couldn't give a toss how many possession he gets and I suspect neither will the coaches. His output has dropped off a bit the last few games but overall I think he has been worth the draft pick and that's really all we can ask.

Berry is/will be a fine player but he's got a lot of ground to make up to be in the same league as M Voss

McCluggage on the other hand plays more like Nigel Lappin than Simon Black IMO .I have high confidence that he'll end up just as good as Lappin but perhaps without the afterburners. Lappin had serious jets when he was a young fella.

No you are right. It's probably an over-reach right now.

But Voss was a second year player too at one stage and it hard not to compare a mature Voss with a 19 year old. And yes, Jarrod may never reach the same crazy highs Voss did - but very few ever will. I guess my comparison was more about the way he plays the game. No nonsense, works hard, plays hard, not afraid to put his body on the line. And not short of courage or leadership.

Voss was probably never "elite" as far as skills went but he made up for it with so many other attributes. Berry strikes me the same way.

I did think of the Lappin comparison for McLuggage, but as the games progress this year, Hugh's time, his reading of the game and his ability to more and more be in the right place at the right time reminds me of Black. Neither have super speed but somehow manage to find time and space.

Either way the fact we can find any comparisons puts these 2 guys in great company. They're a big part of our future.

Voss was probably never "elite" as far as skills went but he made up for it with so many other attributes.
Whew lad this is just way off! You don't debut as a 17 year old if your skills ain't up to scratch, let alone win a Brownlow in your 5th season. Voss was only a year older than Berry is now when he won that Brownlow so let's all just cut back on the Voss (and Black) comparisons coz these kids still have a long way to go to reach those levels.

The worrying thing is though he did not get tagged in this game. Interesting to see how he will go when he has a hard tag applied again!

Why would Pies not tag Zorko even though it's been working well for every team so far?

Is it because Buckley is the worst coach in the league at implementing a tag?

I see we have moved on to Charlie Cameron now ! Seriously I hope the players don't read this rubbish.

Someone better speak to Charlie and tell him he should have kicked 30 goals by now and made 10 tackles a game.

CC is a weopon. Love watching him play.. still so young. Anyone hating on him is just trying to perpetuate a false narrative they had already been attempting to run with.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I see we have moved on to Charlie Cameron now ! Seriously I hope the players don't read this rubbish.

Someone better speak to Charlie and tell him he should have kicked 30 goals by now and made 10 tackles a game.
CC is a weopon. Love watching him play.. still so young. Anyone hating on him is just trying to perpetuate a false narrative they had already been attempting to run with.
I don't think anyone is targeting Charlie or calling him a failure or "hating on" him. He had two really good weeks to start off. Since then, he's been average. That is - not poor, actually average. He's done reasonably, had a few really good moments, and he's deservedly maintained his spot, but his first two weeks were huge, and since then, he's been reasonable. I don't see that as an attack on him. As for him being called a B Grader - I think that's fair. We don't have many A graders (Beams and Zorko, with a few more potential A graders in guys like Harris, Eric, Hugh). B grade isn't a slight. B grade is comfortably passing without setting the world on fire.

He's a lock in the first 22, and I'm happy for him to be a Lion. But let's not pretend he should be in Brownlow contention. He's an excitement machine with the odd freakish moment, balancing out his odd quiet patch.

I've always been pretty impressed with Nathan Buckley when he's interviewed.

He was just on SEN and he said he didn't give us enough credit in his after game presser, also saying that the Lions ball movement was right up with the best they have encountered this season (big call, they have played the Tigers) and that we were ballsy, hit hard targets, made the ground big and were composed when needed.

Whew lad this is just way off! You don't debut as a 17 year old if your skills ain't up to scratch, let alone win a Brownlow in your 5th season. Voss was only a year older than Berry is now when he won that Brownlow so let's all just cut back on the Voss (and Black) comparisons coz these kids still have a long way to go to reach those levels.

Do you think Voss's skills were "elite" but? Maybe my memory is clouded on that front. I sure as hell remember him as brutal, hard, unforgiving, courageous and the player you wanted to have the ball every time he could because he could make things happen. I'll always consider him to be one of the best players I've ever seen... it's I've just never actually considered him to be the most skillful player... maybe I'm wrong in that.

You're definitely right about having a long way to go - they do. They're not close.

The post was more comparing the type of player they are. I did say that he's unlikely to reach the same level but I do see similar traits and attributes in the way these guys play to some of our previous players. It wasn't meant to be over blowing the young guys ability nor belittling the legends of Voss and Black, few will ever reach those levels.

Maybe if I had used Chris Judd or Gary Ablett as comparisons it wouldn't be so contentious? My apologies if you thought I was being literal.

He's a lock in the first 22, and I'm happy for him to be a Lion. But let's not pretend he should be in Brownlow contention. He's an excitement machine with the odd freakish moment, balancing out his odd quiet patch.

Let's not pretend people are pretending he is in Brownlow contention.

Yep. As a skinny ranga wearing no.56 Vossy cut Fitzroy to pieces at Princes Park one afternoon in 1992. Skills looked OK to me.

Yep. As a skinny ranga wearing no.56 Vossy cut Fitzroy to pieces at Princes Park one afternoon in 1992. Skills looked OK to me.

That goal he kicked from over 70 m out at the GABBA, the bump on Alan Richardson and the GF performances...

That goal he kicked from over 70 m out at the GABBA, the bump on Alan Richardson and the GF performances...

Remember when he absolutely shitmixed Damien Peverill twice in the same match?

I don't think anyone is targeting Charlie or calling him a failure or "hating on" him. He had two really good weeks to start off. Since then, he's been average. That is - not poor, actually average. He's done reasonably, had a few really good moments, and he's deservedly maintained his spot, but his first two weeks were huge, and since then, he's been reasonable. I don't see that as an attack on him. As for him being called a B Grader - I think that's fair. We don't have many A graders (Beams and Zorko, with a few more potential A graders in guys like Harris, Eric, Hugh). B grade isn't a slight. B grade is comfortably passing without setting the world on fire.

According to this......https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/out_of_contract_players

Charlie is on a year contract? ....Would that be right?

I braved the replay last night, and it confirmed just how great a game that was to watch. A few things of note:

. Berry was hugely influential. When he hurt his ankle, we definitely looked weaker in the middle. He did some good work forward but he is just a legitimately exciting talent. He is already winning more contests than he's losing and his only in his second sesson. I think a Cripps comparison is fair, although due to the roles Berry plays in the team he isn't quite as big a possession getter yet but will be when his midfield time increased.

. Charlie Cameron had 16 touches and 6 of them led to scores (not including the tap to Beams). The bloke is such a brilliant playmaker and he's not even fully developed. At worst he'll be a solid B+ at his peak. His game was even more impressive the second time around.

. Zorko was HUGE, but the thing that impressed me is how focused he was on his football and not arguing with the ref, trying to milk a free or argue with players. He looked like a leader and that needs to be his standard.

. Beams back to his inspirational best, but still has another gear

. Allison made mistakes but his line breaking ability was very important in the second half. He will be a fine player. It is easy to forget how tall and solid he is ,- he is literally KPP size. Give him time and his weapons will be seen more and more during games.

. McCluggage was fantastic. Like Berry it is crazy to think how good he could end up being.

. McStay had a good game. The first quarter our three tall forwards struggled to time their leads but definitely found McStay was the pick of the bunch from the second onwards. He halved a heap of contests and kicked a couple for his trouble. Also did some nice work around the ground. There was an interesting stat during the broadcast - in the past 2 weeks we'd kicked to Hipwood 12 times and McStay only 5. I think against the Pies our mids began to realise what they will get out of McStay that they won't out of Hipwood - a big bodied target who can contested mark and bring the ball to ground. McStay is 2 years older and should have that responsibility, not a third year KPF like Hipwood.

. Bailey will be an absolute weapon. He is no afraid to take the game on and look for targets. He played by far his best game and you can just see why we rated him as a top 10 talent.

. Rayner... Boy O Boy.. we finally get a pick 1 talent and you can see why he is so highly rated. He is an impact player already in his first year and our midfield almost looked unstoppable when he was there. Lord knows how good this kid will be, but it is going to be so exciting to watch him develop.

Watching some of the game last night. Loved Charlie burning off the two Pie goons as he tore off down the wing. Think he took on 3 or 4 Pies and made them look like plebs
That was right in front of us at the game, the amazing thing was Darcy More was holing his own in that race he defiantly wasn't loosing ground. Seeing where Jaidyn Stephenson came from and that he wasn't carrying the ball and only looking at Charlie with his arms pumping like a sprinter I thought he was possibly making ground. Love to see a race with those 2 and Zac Baily, either way they are bloody fast on a footy ground and take the game on.

Back