Autopsy Round 7, 2021: Hawks refuse to take the field

Remove this Banner Ad

This is feeling to me a lot like the 1995 to 2005 dry spell.
It would seem the culmination of weeks of high pressure close games and the outs we had have caught up with us.
I would expect the lads will come back to respectable form, but we seem quite a few years of growth and recruiting away from the top 4.
Clarko was right though. It is a weird year though, teams are bobbing up and down all over the place. Just unfortunate we don't seem ready to take advantage of that.

Nothing surprising today, we are a pretty bad team without our best player and leader. As well as a couple other decent players.

When you are probably bottom 4 and lacking depth you can not afford to lose players.

Kosi will be a player but that is the only positive from today.

Brad Hill rightfully chose money over coming back home. They are about 5 years ahead of where we are on talent. Easy choice

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
No they aren't, they have gone all in on a flag that isn't coming. They are a decent team and will probably play finals over the next couple years, but this core group is not taking them to a flag.

Watch him in the ruck today. Made second and third efforts.
You are most probably right, it's just efforts like being slung out of the way in a one on one contest against Brad Hill that sit in others and my mine that gives more lasting impression of lack of endeavour.

Just saying that kind of stuff strains.

I'm pretty fearful that losses like that may do more harm than good. Instead of short term pain ... could be long term injury.Team morale would be shot & how confident do you reckon some of our younger players would be feeling right now? Ouch!
Wouldn't imagine they would be feeling great but they are resilient and will get over it. And whilst it is pretty gloomy at the moment I'm just trusting the process of bottoming out and rebuilding, hopefully a few decent draft picks and some free agents and we will be right back in it in a few years. No guarantees of course, but this is the nature of footy unfortunately.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We need to find 3-4 senior players from the younger, fringe players and recruit another 3-4.

I think our KP forward prospects are fine for now.
DGB, Sicily and Frost should be a good set-up for next year in defence, but should be looked at if there are opportunities to improve.
Midfield, x-factor, speed and small/medium forwards are a huge deficit.

We need to recruit for leadership, toughness and character again.
We have no intimidation-factor whatsoever.

Hope nobody got too worked up about that loss... we got a harsh look at where we’re at, sure, but it’s really just a bump in the road. We are getting a good look at our future now - and we had one or two passages of play where we moved the ball beautifully. Rest was pretty bad, haha

I hope people can see the difference just two players can make, Day and Sicily to come back as well as our 2020 draft potential, plus 2021 draft talent and our squad has entirely different make up within just 12 months. Even the best sides would struggle with their 3 best players out let alone a side rebuilding that lacks depth and class that can cover missing talent.

Remove Hartigan - DGB
Remove Phillips - Downie
Remove Shiels- Day
Remove Frost - Sicily
Trade Mitchell.
Drop Hanrahan, Moore, Cousins and add Brockman, Seamus Mitchell, top 2 pick.
First cab of the rank is to get the top 5 names players out of side, they’re our worst disposers of the footy. They’re team killers. The rest are low ceiling plodders who are slow and add no x factor whatsoever. The team can look a whole lot different in 12 months. End has come quick for Shiels. McEvoy is on his last legs too. Look at getting Edwards or Heath in Mid season draft. Stick Sicily on LTI and pick up Cody Ninyette from WA. Best small forward in WAFL,
Plenty of X factor. The From all reports a gun. Massive clean out coming

Last edited:
I hope people can see the difference just two players can make, Day and Sicily to come back as well as our 2020 draft potential, plus 2021 draft talent and our squad has entirely different make up within just 12 months. Even the best sides would struggle with their 3 best players out let alone a side rebuilding that lacks depth and class that can cover missing talent.
What about the difference 4 players can make: Day, Sicily, O'Meara, Wingard.
Gunston playing unfit.

Those guys are 5/8 of our best players along with Mitchell, Worpel and Breust.

We have a lot of small forwards who are slow and apply very little forward line pressure (probably due to being slow)

They also don't really kick many goals.

We really need a fast, talented small forward with great goal sense who also applies great pressure

In essence we need another Cyril! Or in modern day terms, a Liam Ryan.

Moore is probably the best of our current crop (Bruest, is just going through the motions these days it seems) but even he is more of a forward flanker who wins the footy through superior fitness rather than a true small forward.
I think Brockman is being developed for this role

We have a lot of small forwards who are slow and apply very little forward line pressure (probably due to being slow)

They also don't really kick many goals.

We really need a fast, talented small forward with great goal sense who also applies great pressure

In essence we need another Cyril! Or in modern day terms, a Liam Ryan.

Moore is probably the best of our current crop (Bruest, is just going through the motions these days it seems) but even he is more of a forward flanker who wins the footy through superior fitness rather than a true small forward.
Breust had 7 tackles 🤷‍♂️

At least we are playing kids now and finding out where the future sits. The truth is every rebuilding team cops losses like this and many worse than this(anyone remember Port adelaide in I think 05’ when we got pumped over there). That group weren’t broken by it nor will this one.

That said I am doubtful that this is the core group that will take is to our next tilt. A lot of our younger guys like Moore, Finn, Hanrahan, cousins - they are honest players that but they went late in drafts because they aren’t that good. The decision to ignore the draft has set this club back 5 years and was a major policy failure by Graham wright and the list managers. We will find out this year which players are worth keeping on with- in my view Kosi, Lewis, CJ and maybe Morrison if he’d be more consistent. Obviously our higher talents like scrimshaw must stay.

Agree with the trade Mitchell sentiment, need to get the best pick possible and go to the draft. Think of all the talent we missed out on to get JOM and Mitchell in yet by the time we are back in finals they will be past it or retired. But at least JOM gives leadership to our midfield, he is our ONLY leader and should be Captain.

So Taz said “taking nothing away from the Saints but (Adlib) “you never see a hawks defence that far off the pace like they were today”

is this the case (didn’t see the game)

Yep diabolical.

Frost and Hartigan are the worst KPD combo I can recall having at the Hawks. We will concede many runs of scores this year.

With no Sicily and Day intercepting and a midfield that allows the ball to just run out the front, they'll be some tough days.

And with a pedestrian midfield and a weakened backline, it means we start so many laborious forward thrusts from the back half of the ground........ so good luck to our inexperienced forward line.

We have holes everywhere unfortunately and it's hard to see how it gets fixed over 1-2 draft periods and pre-seasons.

Would love it to be a 2005 -> 2007/08 scenario......... but not so sure this time.

Utterly embarrassing 69 points looks better than it actually felt tbh. My fears are being coming to fruition getting trounced by a mon top 8 side like that.

Ah well at least we have a good record at Marvel I suppose, or else it could have been even worse.

Real tough day at the office..
We get the Saints on their home deck (can’t remember the last time we didn’t play them at Marvel)
First time all year they’re at full strength and with their season on the line..
So we decide this week is the best time to rest two of our best and most experienced mids?? Crazy selection decisions..

Seemed like from the start we never believed we could compete- the mindset wasn’t there and when they threw everything at us we just crumbled..

Senior players look like the games gone passed them and younger players just weren’t ready to compete and got a reality check.. very difficult viewing and hoping we don’t see many more of these types of games this season..

Late last year at Metricon.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back