Autopsy Round 7, 2021: Hawks refuse to take the field

Remove this Banner Ad

Just when you think Clarko isn't the man to get us those high draft picks, he sends out todays squad...and together, they've really come up with the goods!
Those high picks are ours to lose, now!
Sounds like a good plan though why did he f it up last week? Easier to lose last week than obviously tank 2day. You'll get caught more on the obvious than the non obvious.

Tall forward stocks look good. Needs in order are are midfield, KPD, ruck, small forward.
My order would be midfield, ruck, KPD, small forward

I rate the need for a ruck higher than KPD because I have always believed that two "good" rucks essentially negate each others output but if you put a good ruck up against a sub par ruck (us at the moment unfortunately) the good ruck will have a big influence on the outcome of the match (see Gawnnagainstbus two weeks ago)

Agree though that I am also cautisoly optimiatic on our KPF stocks (especially Kozi)

disgraceful skills and decision making

we have too many below par players in the team

hartigan
frost
Obrien
mccevoy (due to age)
cousins
phillips (ordinary footballer)
Lewis (pea heart )
hanrahan
moore
Morrison
Sheils (age)

Out of the team not good enough
Howe
Hartley
Nash

Time should be invested in Brockman Jeka Greaves bramble......maybe Finn and Downie

Stop wasting time on below par players

We have some good youngsters on the list we need 4/5 of quality to add

The mentioned blokes, 75% need to go in less than 24 months

Nothing to come out of this week's game is much different to any other week for me. We lack polish and pace in the middle. Perhaps made more evident when JOM and Wingard are in the stands.

At least we know that the coaches and club knows this, and that we're very slowly turning the wheel in other areas where we once looked very deficient(young talls).

Thought Jeka, Kosi and Lewis functioned ok, considering the mismatch in the middle. Finn was solid, but I really liked his ability to stand up in a tackle.

Lewis’s problem is he doesn’t show enough intensity in the contest & gives little to no second efforts.

If he doesn’t fix that he won’t make it.

Watch him in the ruck today. Made second and third efforts.

Agree about his decision making. And he did have a bad kick or two. But a lot of turnovers where long kicks to a contest that we lost. Especially out of clearances. We win it and kick it. Same with JOM who had 5 clearances and 9 turnovers against Adelaide.

Yes, fair enough, very inside players who are throwing it on the boot quickly because they are always about to be tackled are always going to have a high turnover rate, but 11 is pretty bad.

A lot of it is a symptom of the way we play. Plus his first game getting free rein he will tighten that up. Concern is when JOM comes back in, where does Worps get pushed to?

Yes, that's the concern. If we could find the right mix that allows all 3 of TOM/JOM/Worpel to have good games at the same time, it would go a long way to strengthening our midfield unit, but we've been trying to do that for all of last year, and most of this year, and haven't hit on the right method of making the mix work for all 3 players. At the end of the day, there might just be too much similarity and expecting one of them to not play their natural game might not be the ideal strategy. I like Worpel, and I hope we can find a way of making him work, but if he asked for a trade to a club that had better uses for him, I wouldn't be against it if we could get back a player who better complements JOM/TOM in return. I think it is fair to say that the best games of his career are heavily weighted towards games where one of JOM or TOM were not playing (which is a mark in his favour - he steps up when when we need him to, but he's always going to be the third wheel out of those 3, at least for the next few years before age starts to slow down JOM/TOM).

Lewis’s problem is he doesn’t show enough intensity in the contest

Yes, for a bloke his size, he doesn't seem to like throwing his weight around, and I think that contributes to his apparent lack of intensity. I wonder if he still hash confidence issues with his body after the should injury? I recall him being a lot more recklness in the way he used his body before the shoulder injury.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Morrison is actually a good user of the footy, he just doesn't find it enough and appears to be soft. Need to feed him more imo.
Lewis looks slow and boat like, poor below his feet too. I liked Jeka's leading but worry we will play him out of form - almost better off for his development playing at Box Hill :p.

Positive from today is that it appears from gameplan and team selections that the penny has finally dropped on the list manager aka the head coach.

We're not going to go anywhere playing for honorable losses against crap sides so we can now churn through as many players as possible to fast track who is worth persisting with. All that's left is accepting that he's rubbish at talent spotting and accepting that through dropping nothing players like Phillips and Hartigan.

Lewis looks slow and boat like, poor below his feet too.

Yes, he's almost a throwback in that regard. These days, the better tall forwards tend to be super mobile, but lets not kid ourselves, there is a reason he was last picked in his draft year. Needs to concentrate on his strengths, and he can be useful, but he's certainly not in the same mould as the early tall forward picks you see made these days.

Lewis looks lethargic but he was trying. Needs to get angrier and throw his weight around a bit more - I also don't think he can be the second ruck. Actually all things considered I thought that Kosi, Jeka & Lewis were all reasonably competitive without being outstanding. Was much less impressed with the defensive efforts of our smalls and our midfield.

why a small forward we have bruest, Moore, ollie and 3 others we drafted 2 play there. I'd rather a midfielder who could kick it forward. So maybe a small forward might see what a footy looks like and chase it.
We have a lot of small forwards who are slow and apply very little forward line pressure (probably due to being slow)

They also don't really kick many goals.

We really need a fast, talented small forward with great goal sense who also applies great pressure

In essence we need another Cyril! Or in modern day terms, a Liam Ryan.

Moore is probably the best of our current crop (Bruest, is just going through the motions these days it seems) but even he is more of a forward flanker who wins the footy through superior fitness rather than a true small forward.

Yes, fair enough, very inside players who are throwing it on the boot quickly because they are always about to be tackled are always going to have a high turnover rate, but 11 is pretty bad.

Yes, that's the concern. If we could find the right mix that allows all 3 of TOM/JOM/Worpel to have good games at the same time, it would go a long way to strengthening our midfield unit, but we've been trying to do that for all of last year, and most of this year, and haven't hit on the right method of making the mix work for all 3 players. At the end of the day, there might just be too much similarity and expecting one of them to not play their natural game might not be the ideal strategy. I like Worpel, and I hope we can find a way of making him work, but if he asked for a trade to a club that had better uses for him, I wouldn't be against it if we could get back a player who better complements JOM/TOM in return. I think it is fair to say that the best games of his career are heavily weighted towards games where one of JOM or TOM were not playing (which is a mark in his favour - he steps up when when we need him to, but he's always going to be the third wheel out of those 3, at least for the next few years before age starts to slow down JOM/TOM).
Agreed he needs to get it down. It will be part of his development. Just that the rest of our team isn’t much better.

Not sure personally I’d be trading worps. Looking at titch and JOM’s injury history not sure they would be at their best by the time we are challenging again. Much happier to move one of them on instead of worps. Given his age he is someone to build around. Can’t trade away our future when we have a long build ahead of us.

3 tackles, 12 pressure acts and 4 1% would suggets other wise.
If u stopped looking at stats and watched a game once I'd love your opinion. How do you think he impacted the game without checking stats ? Or using them? I Know it's hard it involves watching footy not Facebook, Instagram or being strapping young lads lacky. But I do have faith that you can do it. And if Lewis plays well I too as I did a couple of years ago when he did play well give him praise.

So Taz said “taking nothing away from the Saints but (Adlib) “you never see a hawks defence that far off the pace like they were today”

is this the case (didn’t see the game)

I'd replace defence with game plan. I would also say that the work rate put in by the Saints just threw us off right from the start. There was just consistent Saints pressure at all moments which just collapsed both ends for the Hawks. It just got to the point where the Hawks felt like they were under pressure to move the ball clumsily when in fact they had more time.

Coming back to being off the pace, in defence, we were zoning the saints from the midfield, and very rarely attacked the ball, which gave them a lot of free and quick movement, particularly when they pushed the corridor. I wanted to mention further in my earlier post that it's easy to point the finger at our backline for conceding goals, but they can only fend off so much before they're out of gas and the flood gates open. There was just no ability to slow down the Saints and give us time to set up properly.

But when it came for us to attack, we fall back into the same flow of kick to the wing, slowing down play by taking marks, allowing time for the Saints to run back and set up. Adding to that with their aggressive attack on the ball, and the turnovers were quick and brutal.

Honestly, this was the probably the first game I've seen where we really looked uninspired. And considering how much better we looked last week when we shifted into a more attacking style of play, to revert back to that defensive structure this week was disheartening.

Don't worry about play the kids, it's time to flick the duds!

Out: Will Day In: Ed Langdon, Karl Amon

Remove this Banner Ad

Back