Autopsy Round 7, 2021: Hawks refuse to take the field

Remove this Banner Ad

Well can’t say that wasn’t interesting, showed where our hand lies.

it all starts in the mids (+rucks) has been this season at since game 1 and teams are now working it out, and our mids just stink as a unit, and without Jager it’s 3rd rate.

I actually think our young forwards and backs are sound but the players will get burned if we can’t fix what’s going on in the middle.

is Bolton the coach of the mids this season? Some real odd moves in the ruck to this has to be clarko. Reeves has to play to relieve the captain, but the concern are all the mids we are missing serious talent.

one thing that is really noticable is our game plan does not take advantage of the new rules from backline to attack

I’m sure it’s been mentioned before, what’s quite alarming for me in watching this year is the score % from inside 50s stat. It seems that a very high percentage of the opposition entries leads to a goal, or a score at least.

That’s not purely just on our defenders, it’s the entire set up. The way the ball is freely coming in (our midfield needs to do so much more) then of course there’s only so much your defence can do. At the same time, we appear easily outmuscled for a mark, bumped off the ball, not sticking tackles, failing to spoil properly etc etc.

We’re leaking too many goals too easily, and from a structural viewpoint Clarko has plenty of work to do here.

Look back to the game and looking at positives, haven't been happy in general with worpel all year was definitely ok today, was also ok with Phillips, up forward kosi, down back hardwick. Thats about it 2 be honest... well maybe Hartigan weirdly. At least he went at the footy rather than hiding.

We need to go to NT, find a kid called Rioli, doesn't matter which one, they are all talented, and take them in the mid-season draft as our small forward.

Oh well it could be worse

We could be North Melbourne :p

or Collingwood - at least we knew that we are doing a rebuild. Pies supporters didn’t and we have their second round pick

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One or two out of T Mitchell, Worpel & Liam Shiels need to be traded or let go. We have too many similar type midfielders who have poor disposal. Can we please get Josh Kelly/Whitfield and Karl Amon into the club.
Sheils definitely has no trade currency, and sadly, Tom Mitchell wouldn't either.

This is way worse than 2004 imo.

That’s a big call. We lost 7 games in 2004 by more than 10 goals, plus a further 4 between 40 and 60 points.

I think it’s easy to look back at ‘04 now with rose-coloured glasses, because there were a number of players on the list (11 to be exact) who went on to play in the ‘08 premiership. But the list appeared to be in diabolical shape at the time - it took a new coaching staff (and the genius of Andrew Russell) for players like Bateman, Ladson and Osborne to realise their full potential.

Our current list is obviously a long way off contending, but I think we’ll be pleasantly surprised at how many of the guys currently aged 23 and under develop into good footballers with some elite young talent alongside them. We just need to make sure we nail our early picks in the next couple of drafts.

It will be a long process, but it will be worth it in the end. Just like those annual beltings by Port at Football Park in the mid-2000s became much more palatable after we got our hands on a few premiership cups.

I'm pretty fearful that losses like that may do more harm than good. Instead of short term pain ... could be long term injury.Team morale would be shot & how confident do you reckon some of our younger players would be feeling right now? Ouch!
I reckon team moral would have been an all time low last season. Overall I’ve been largely pleased, although within reason, of our effort this year. We’ve been competitive in most games only being blown away by more class by mostly top 8 sides. But tonight’s effort was woeful from the first bounce. And that’s to a pretty ordinary opposition and that hurts more. Hopefully we can bounce back with a bigger effort next week.

We were humiliated by St.Kilda, just think about that, a club which has won just 1 premiership in 120+ years humiliated us. If we could drop the whole lot of them we should, their skill and decision making is 3rd rate, just think how bad they’d be if they weren’t fully professional. I hope they have a dawn swim booked tomorrow off Brighton pier. In 39 years I haven’t often been disgusted by the team but today I was.

He’s not even close to a ruckman, it’s a band aid solution for now.
But tob does it and at least tries. If u won't try for your club who are u? I don't like being a ruckman, i don't chase my opponents in the forward line, I occasionally go 4 a mark.

Its just not good enough. 5 years in the system more talented don't care. Bloke just trying 2 stay in the system takes any role asked i hope more 4 him.

IMO Frosts kicking isn’t as bad as what people claim, I think it’s more his decision making, his kicks look like they are going to hit the intended target but get cut off by the opposition.

Shiel has been a warrior for our club but nothing more than a work horse that was surrounded by champions. Those champions are gone and you can tell.

I love Kosi he demands it and when he gets it he is happy to take responsibility. He has been a revelation.

Our list is a mess. Everyone hailed Wright, he found some gems late in drafts but was a horrible negotiator, always paying overs for players and accepting laughable picks for our own. He never valued draft pics and this is the result.

We will bounce back because we are Hawthorn and that’s what we do, but it’s a long road back from here.

Worpel did a good job to replace JOM in the clearance department, but when you have 11 turnovers matched to your 11 clearances, you need to question if having him get more of the ball is a net positive or not. If he can fix his disposal , he's a weapon, but that's a big if right now. Still think it is more about decision making, as he often hits targets fine when not under pressure.
Agree about his decision making. And he did have a bad kick or two. But a lot of turnovers where long kicks to a contest that we lost. Especially out of clearances. We win it and kick it. Same with JOM who had 5 clearances and 9 turnovers against Adelaide.

A lot of it is a symptom of the way we play. Plus his first game getting free rein he will tighten that up. Concern is when JOM comes back in, where does Worps get pushed to?

That’s a big call. We lost 7 games in 2004 by more than 10 goals, plus a further 4 between 40 and 60 points.

I think it’s easy to look back at ‘04 now with rose-coloured glasses, because there were a number of players on the list (11 to be exact) who went on to play in the ‘08 premiership. But the list appeared to be in diabolical shape at the time - it took a new coaching staff (and the genius of Andrew Russell) for players like Bateman, Ladson and Osborne to realise their full potential.

Our current list is obviously a long way off contending, but I think we’ll be pleasantly surprised at how many of the guys currently aged 23 and under develop into good footballers with some elite young talent alongside them. We just need to make sure we nail our early picks in the next couple of drafts.

It will be a long process, but it will be worth it in the end. Just like those annual beltings by Port at Football Park in the mid-2000s became much more palatable after we got our hands on a few premiership cups.
You do realize 2005 was about the same but at least we had a plan and draft picks even the year after to build on.

I was at the game and it was demoralizing. Saints were bigger, stronger, faster, vastly more skilled and better organised. Was it an aberration??? Our key backs a real worry and won't get any easier next week against the Eagles who have some serious KP forward talent. Hopefully Jags and Chad back next week. A weeks a long time in footy and I'll get over today.

So Taz said “taking nothing away from the Saints but (Adlib) “you never see a hawks defence that far off the pace like they were today”

is this the case (didn’t see the game)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back