Autopsy Round 8, 2022: Melbourne v St.Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

There were some real frustrating moments, but after a chance to simmer down and look on it again I think some of the mistakes of say Membrey kicking inside 50, Higgins decision making inside 50 and just very gettable shots wasted by a lot of guys was probably created from the amazing pressure of the Dees. It's got to be hard as a forward line to play and perform up against the Dees at the minute, they give you almost nothing and then when you do get a chance the pressure is ramped right up. Hopefully there's some lessons from our guys from this.

Would have like a little more reward for the control that was hard fought in the 3rd and a bit in the 4th, but the fact the guys did wrestle back control is something. I wonder if maybe it isn't time to tinker with the backline a little when we get some more available. Would hope Highmore and Clark get a look in if they keep playing well in the 2's, Paton might need a rest after coming back from such a big injury. Also, I love the commitment from Webster but I don't think he shows the upside of those other 2 guys.

Another game into Nas and he's doing some more elite things, had a few turn overs but he can also hit targets 90% of guys can't.

Jones worked his way into the game after looking 1 or 2 steps off the tempo in the first half.

Not all doom and gloom that it felt like early on but still need to lift if we want to challenge at all in finals.

There is something about the Demon's , they are not a team that pull's massive crowds

I know about the home game , but Cairns was not really a home game - our fault for selling the game.
And the Demons not getting out of 2nd gear I doubt it when there 4 stars had 150 between them, I can't see them playing any better , if that is there best with a full strength team.
Plenty to learn from the game , expect a lot of improvement from us.

Even last year they had great games but they are playing excellent team system based footy. They look far from impenetrable. I reckon when someone breaks them open that they could lose a fair few in a row. We played into their hands as we did last week. Ratts and the forwards coach need to get some system in place and bring in Sharman. Losing Hayes has left us light on for goal scoring options.

We were efficient early but now we can score through King or Snags we need more spread of scoring.

It's very hard to get a player from another Melbourne club.

I think if he leaves he will go to WA

The only reason Amon is an option is because he's a Melbourne boy in SA

But yeah Brayshaw has gone past Amon as a player

Why would you think he wants to go to W.A.?

Even last year they had great games but they are playing excellent team system based footy. They look far from impenetrable. I reckon when someone breaks them open that they could lose a fair few in a row. We played into their hands as we did last week. Ratts and the forwards coach need to get some system in place and bring in Sharman. Losing Hayes has left us light on for goal scoring options.

We were efficient early but now we can score through King or Snags we need more spread of scoring.

Melbourne saw us coming, shut down King and Higgins and you shut down our scoring, we needed Membrey, Butler and Wood to step up and they let us down.

Sharman would give us another avenue to goal and he can kick straight.

Last edited:
There is something about the Demon's , they are not a team that pull's massive crowds

I know about the home game , but Cairns was not really a home game - our fault for selling the game.
And the Demons not getting out of 2nd gear I doubt it when there 4 stars had 150 between them, I can't see them playing any better , if that is there best with a full strength team.
Plenty to learn from the game , expect a lot of improvement from us.
the next gear is their stars kicking multiple goals each. Gawn barely kicked any goals same as petracca.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We didn't miss Butlers pressure at all once he went off. Think it's time for the twos for him, and I was one of his biggest advocates. Needs to learn how to pressure AND kick a goal every week.
Been carrying an achilles in recent weeks according to Ratts in the presser, and was pretty sore with it going into the game, and it got worse as the game went on, to the point he told the docs he was cooked with it, and was subsequently subbed off.

Been carrying an achilles in recent weeks according to Ratts in the presser, and was pretty sore with it going into the game, and it got worse as the game went on, to the point he told the docs he was cooked with it, and was subsequently subbed off.

So, we go into a game against the reigning premiers and handicap ourselves with an unfit player.
Not sure the coaching panel have covered themselves in glory over this past fortnight.
Pick fit players - we’ve got depth - and play to our own game plan.
Sounds like we were scared of the Dees and not confident playing our own game, at least to start. If things go belly up, then make the changes required.

Sent from my iPad using BigFooty.com

The only good Dees supporter is Biffinator but he has too much class to post here with the rest of their mouth breathers.

One of our best players today, having a great season, he was on the fringes in preseason but he is best 22 now.
Thanks Brother P35. I hope you are well. I have been following football since 1971 and yesterday I saw some thing from the Saints that I have only glimpsed in the dreaded 1988 GF against Hawthorn and no where else.

It occurred in the Q3 when St Kilda was surging. Somehow or other the Saints got all their players - or most of them - into the central corridor and they alll surged forward like a mighty torrent. It took on a life of its own. I could not believe my eyes. I was staggered by it. It was majestic. There was not a single Dees player in that corridor for the life of the surge or perhaps they were nullified by the glory of it all. I cannot remember if it eventuated in a goal or not. - it deserves commemoration.

Am I imagining things? Did anyone else see it? It was ten seconds or so of utter perfection and a will-to-power.

On a lesser note, the Saints demonstrated, albeit fitfully, that the one way to beat the Dees is speed-of-movement. I read that our common enemy, the Handbaggers, reverted back to the Crab on the weekend against GWS . . . .

Best wishes to you all. One genuine St Kilda supporter is worth 10,000 equivalents from the Eagles.

B

Thankfully turned it off after quarter time. Checked the results and doesn't look like we put up much of a fight throughout.

Disappointing post and response When we lived in Melbourne for 3 years I took my 3 young daughters to every match and always emphasised my two golden rules, that are worth carrying through lots of situations in life:

1. Never Boo

2. Never leave until after the siren, no matter the score

Where we have dominated this year and in patches yesterday was through our speed and play on. football. But early on we were stationary with kicks to contests, or chipping around in circles to each other. It seemed we were genuinely overawed by the Demons early, but were a different team in the second half.
Lots of positives and lessons learned from the match:

- Hawthorn took Langdon out of the game with a hard tag, which I thought we would do with McKenzie, but instead let him amass 40 odd possessions. Coaching staff need to move quicker to fix in game problems

- Be bold and take teams on. Geelong has shown that the hold it and chip it around doesn't stand up to finals pressure

- Be. switched on from the start Giving leads to every team we play and then running them down, may be good theatre, but its crap football

- Provide footage to umpires leadership as to why Max King can be pushed, pulled and thrown aside without penalty when there is an umpire right there

Why would you think he wants to go to W.A.?
I didn't say I think he wants to go to WA

I said it's rare for a good player situated in Melbourne to leave for another Melbourne based club

His brother plays at the Dockers though so that is the link there

I've got no idea what he wants to do but I'd suspect he wouldn't be too upset playing in the best side in the comp

I didn't say I think he wants to go to WA

I said it's rare for a good player situated in Melbourne to leave for another Melbourne based club

His brother plays at the Dockers though so that is the link there

I've got no idea what he wants to do but I'd suspect he wouldn't be too upset playing in the best side in the comp
A lot of the Brayshaw family is over in WA as well I think.

Pretty sure that’s where James came from originally for instance so the family might have originated there.

Ridiculous if true. Some of these calls (that one, Jones underdone, Campbell in slipperyole Cairns etc etc) are getting frustrating.
Jones looked more rusty than underdonw to me

He's had 2 games of VFL. I'm not sure anyone in contention for that spot would have performed any better

Where we have dominated this year and in patches yesterday was through our speed and play on. football. But early on we were stationary with kicks to contests, or chipping around in circles to each other. It seemed we were genuinely overawed by the Demons early, but were a different team in the second half.
I’m not sure we were necessarily overawed, but according to Ratts we tried a few different things re our ball movement, and how we kicked into the F50, but we just took them too far (“to extremes”) and that resulted in an incredibly conservative approach to moving the ball, that gave Melbourne all the time in the world to set up defensively. That subsequently left us with basically no other option but to kick it long down the line, which they picked off time after time, and launched their attacks from there.

By the time we reverted back to much more like our usual style of play, we were 8 goals down or whatever and playing catch-up from there.

I think it’s time to bring Sharman back. We need someone that can kick straight.
and his extra movement in the forward line hopefully bringing a bit of separation

Remove this Banner Ad

Back