Preview Round 8, 2024 : Bulldogs v Hawks, 4pm 5th May, Marvel Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
For those who have missed it, the Chol AFL360 video can be found here.

Below is the first half of the Scott-Mitchell interview in AFL360.

Brad Scott chiming in by pretty much saying it is a week. Amazing that after working at the AFL he still thinks it is a good idea to comment on cases that may go before the tribunal and the AFL constantly allow him and Chris to get away with it

Brad Scott chiming in by pretty much saying it is a week. Amazing that after working at the AFL he still thinks it is a good idea to comment on cases that may go before the tribunal and the AFL constantly allow him and Chris to get away with it

Was famed for ‘north niggle’ went to afl then back to Essendon and it’s ‘the edge’ goes on TV and says the AFL hates that

Not even the best coach in his family

Last edited:
Sis seems pretty eager to get midfield minutes per his 3AW interview, and I believe he has mentioned this earlier in the year too.

Could it be a good move to ponder, and we could let Day adjust back into form playing off half-back a bit more? I err on the side of no, but it could be what Sis needs to rejuvenate himself.

We saw him kick at training a fortnight ago 4P and I reckon he kicked about 6 out of 30 shots or so. His goal kicking seems to be affected by the back and possibly hips as he doesn't have any penetration in his kicking.
He definitely has been effected by the back troubles as they link with your hips, makes it incredibly uncomfortable and hard to relax, speaking from experience.

it is so bizarre that people are calling for Phillips to be selected. Have you even been watching the Box Hill games?
on what grounds do you think he deserves selection? because he is tall?
takes a few intercept marks, which he won't take at the next level up where the players are far bigger, fitter and stronger.
has, at best, average disposal by both hand and foot. gee, just what we need, another player with poor disposal out of the backline.
no closing speed, but does seem to read the play reasonably well.
this isn't a huge knock on the bloke, but he needs far more time as a professional to get anywhere near AFL level
Watch him and you’re off the mark with your views.

He has superb positioning, pretty strong and doesn’t lose contest often, he is very good intercepting but doesn’t peel off like our other defenders, he wins one on ones with his intercept prowess. He does peel off as every defender does but he is better playing man on.

Not the quickest but don’t think he’ll get burnt on the lead, and team defense will help his game. Worth a shot with how good his strengths are.

I sorta like to float but going to tip my hat in and have a crack at a side this week.

I’m going to assume Mabior is free to play given how soft it was and Hogans reversal recently.

I’m going to also assume Mitch Lewis scans come back clear and he has no need to clean anything up in his knee and just needs the extra week of conditioning it to be confident and build from there.

Breust could be back but I’m inclined to give him a week, groins can be a pain.

Ins: Massimo D’Ambrosio, Calshar Dear (debut), Mitchell Lewis, Ethan Phillips (debut)
Outs:
Harry Morrison, Max Ramsden, Jack Gunston, Jai Serong

BACKLINE
Blake Hardwick - Ethan Phillips - Jack Scrimshaw
Seamus Mitchell - Sam Frost - James Sicily

MIDFIELD
Karl Amon - Will Day - Massimo D’Ambrosio
Lloyd Meek - Jai Newcombe - James Worpel

FORWARDLINE
Dylan Moore - Mitch Lewis - Connor MacDonald
Calshar Dear - Mabior Chol - Jack Ginnivan

INTERCHANGE
Josh Weddle (UTILITY) - Cam Mackenzie (FWD/MID) - Conor Nash (MID) - Finn Maginness (FWD/UTILITY)

SUB
Jarman Impey

Reasoning for selection dissection:
3 pieces of youth in, and some leadership with Lewis.

Morrison out because I rate Massimo higher and that’s the role he’s playing, plus at the game his positioning was poor, and his disposal not much better. Albeit I can see it being someone else out.

Ramsden just isn’t ready yet, Dear deserves his opportunity and will play third tall. Gunston cannot play, need to give Dear opportunities and Gunston can play his time out at Box Hill unless we really cry for leadership, maybe sub?

Serong needs to keep learning his craft and Phillips has earnt a debut. MacDonald only one to be very lucky not to be dropped, has a week.

Impey goes to sub as I believe he’s been poor, it’s a message whilst also keeping some leadership which is still needed, and he has shown ability to play forward and back, has pace.

Saw that. I thought Sammy dirtied up too and I was hoping he’d lean across the desk and belt the big sook. He found it hard to ignore it and remain neutral.

They can’t help themselves, the Scotts, they comment on things like this and never get pulled up on it. The coach involved was across the desk and that didn’t even stop him.

The brothers set the agenda on all things AFL and tribunal. Let’s not forget the upstanding citizens belted a young Nick Riewoldt off the ball, who had a broken collarbone. It’s funny how everybody’s too scared to bring that up.

Big no to Ward replacing Nash. Played well at Box Hill but pretty ineffective when playing in the guts. Dogs midfielders will eat him alive if he starts in the middle. Nash not in great form but will still hold his own against the Bulldog mids
I actually think the opposite would be true.
I'm not really in favour for Ward replacing Nash, but I think giving Ward a game in the guts would be a great way to instill confidence in the kid- it's what he was recruited to be and I think we'd see a resurgence in his form if we did.
His breakout games in his first year were through the guts, I'd love to see it again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At the end of the day whether he gets off or not Chol was fn stupid he shouldn’t have done it it cost us a goal during a stage of the game when there was a bit of an arm wrestle going on. From memory they goaled straight after so it felt like a 2 goal swing. So at the ground after Dimma kicked a ripper goal from outside 50 we were all looking around like wtf are the umpires doing as no replay of the Chol incident was shown. Deflating!

At the end of the day whether he gets off or not Chol was fn stupid he shouldn’t have done it it cost us a goal during a stage of the game when there was a bit of an arm wrestle going on. From memory they goaled straight after so it felt like a 2 goal swing. So at the ground after Dimma kicked a ripper goal from outside 50 we were all looking around like wtf are the umpires doing as no replay of the Chol incident was shown. Deflating!

Umpires picking thes out before and after goals does not discourage it, players more likely to provoke so they can flop and get a free or reversal.

It’s also very fine if the infringement came that much before the kick of goal. And giving a totally unrelated player a free from where dimma kicked?

Lite someone said. Not the reason we lost but at least 5 goals heavily umpired one way. None the other

No news yet about challenging Chol's suspension? Surely can't be worth a week if Jesse Hogan got off...

I sorta like to float but going to tip my hat in and have a crack at a side this week.

I’m going to assume Mabior is free to play given how soft it was and Hogans reversal recently.

I’m going to also assume Mitch Lewis scans come back clear and he has no need to clean anything up in his knee and just needs the extra week of conditioning it to be confident and build from there.

Breust could be back but I’m inclined to give him a week, groins can be a pain.

Ins: Massimo D’Ambrosio, Calshar Dear (debut), Mitchell Lewis, Ethan Phillips (debut)
Outs:
Harry Morrison, Max Ramsden, Jack Gunston, Jai Serong

BACKLINE
Blake Hardwick - Ethan Phillips - Jack Scrimshaw
Seamus Mitchell - Sam Frost - James Sicily

MIDFIELD
Karl Amon - Will Day - Massimo D’Ambrosio
Lloyd Meek - Jai Newcombe - James Worpel

FORWARDLINE
Dylan Moore - Mitch Lewis - Connor MacDonald
Calshar Dear - Mabior Chol - Jack Ginnivan

INTERCHANGE
Josh Weddle (UTILITY) - Cam Mackenzie (FWD/MID) - Conor Nash (MID) - Finn Maginness (FWD/UTILITY)

SUB
Jarman Impey

Reasoning for selection dissection:
3 pieces of youth in, and some leadership with Lewis.

Morrison out because I rate Massimo higher and that’s the role he’s playing, plus at the game his positioning was poor, and his disposal not much better. Albeit I can see it being someone else out.

Ramsden just isn’t ready yet, Dear deserves his opportunity and will play third tall. Gunston cannot play, need to give Dear opportunities and Gunston can play his time out at Box Hill unless we really cry for leadership, maybe sub?

Serong needs to keep learning his craft and Phillips has earnt a debut. MacDonald only one to be very lucky not to be dropped, has a week.

Impey goes to sub as I believe he’s been poor, it’s a message whilst also keeping some leadership which is still needed, and he has shown ability to play forward and back, has pace.
Id love to see Dear make it and he will, but is it to early He would be like a dear in the headlights!!l

For the people suggesting Dear have you actually seen him play at BH?

He is nowhere near ready to play seniors.... I mean Ramsden is further developed and he aint even ready lol
yes, agree. Same as Phillips, both nowhere near it. I'm hopeful both may eventually be good players for us, but right now, they would get crucified if selected to play against the Dogs at Marvel. JUH, Darcy or the flying headband would tear Phillips a new hole if he was to play down back on the lightning-fast, windless Marvel deck.
many people here fail to appreciate the huge, and I mean huge, gap that now exists between VFL and AFL. It's nothing like 20 years ago, for a whole variety of reasons.

Big no to Ward replacing Nash. Played well at Box Hill but pretty ineffective when playing in the guts. Dogs midfielders will eat him alive if he starts in the middle. Nash not in great form but will still hold his own against the Bulldog mids
It's insane the number of people who want Nash out.

a) Bontempelli is his b!tch
b) Third in the crimmins just a few months ago
c) was equal best on two games ago.

They decided they didn't like him 3 years ago, and have no ability to learn any different.

When Nash is firing Hawthorn is firing.

1714435645991.png

I doubt there are many better correlations between a players input and the margin.

For those who have missed it, the Chol AFL360 video can be found here.

Below is the first half of the Scott-Mitchell interview in AFL360.

The only thing I got out of that is - Brad Scott is a F**KING IDIOT.
Things that happen off the ball still have to be reportable, why not suspend Gunston? He was standing there, in the pocket, off the ball. The afl hate that.

For those who want to see Calsh get a debut game, I think it is too soon to play him in the Seniors. He has plenty of promise, but he still has a lot of development to go.

Phillips has put his best foot forward in his time at Box Hill, but the backline hasn't been the problem so far. The only way that he comes in is if he is a direct swap for Serong who was subbed off at half time. With the possibility of the Dogs having a three pronged tall forward line, it would be the best chance for him to come in. He did play on both Naughton and JUH in the pre season clashes against the Dogs and will definitely back himself to play well at this level.

The biggest thing needed this week is to match it with the Dogs in the midfield. Both pre season hit outs against the Dogs, we were competitive when we matched them in the midfield. However, once their midfield got on top, we were not able to defend against their ball movement and they got a run on and we couldn't stop the momentum.

In regards to Lewis, he had trained all last week, including the Barra's Yarma before pulling up sore on Sunday morning. Playing at Marvel which is a notoriously hard surface might not be the best way to ease him back into the side and look after a knee issue that has plagued him for the past few seasons.

Main training on Friday will be the key as to who we will field on Sunday, so a bit of time to wait between now and then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back