Preview Round 8, 2024: St.Kilda v North Melbourne - Marvel Stadium, Saturday 4 May, 4.35pm AEST

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anything under a 40 point win will be a disgrace
If we've had "honourable" losses against the big boys, by dragging them into the mud with us, then it will be interesting to see if we can elevate the Roos the other way. Are we any good, or just good at dragging teams to our s*itty level!?

All Saints fans know not to look back.
It doesn’t do any good.
Round 19, last year.
North are 17th, with 2 wins.
We are down by 12 at half time.
We have kicked four goals for the match.
After a solid third quarter, we are down by 16 points at 3/4 time.
Finally, the engines ignite, and the plane manages to lift, just, skimming the waves.
Up a point midway through the last.
Higgo gets the sealer at the 28 min mark of the last.
We win by 8 points.
Against a team with 8 points on the ladder.
At Round 19!
This is no certainty.
What about pt 1 of the Eagles game 😳

Our worst might just be the worst in the league.

This gives me vibes similar to the Bombers game. We go in as favourites, have a healthy lead then completely choke the game. Or we only lose by like 3 points which would make it feel like a loss. To make things worse, we'll lose a couple of players to injury/suspension and then its another week of the media calling us frauds.

Can we just like have a good game for once?

You know, just imagine.. Windy gets 30+, King kicks 7, Collard comes in and kicks 5.
Battle hecking rules HB and Wilkie marks hecking everything...
Nas is completely off the chain and slicing them to bits.

Just once...

is it ******* asking too much.

Can we just like have a good game for once?

You know, just imagine.. Windy gets 30+, King kicks 7, Collard comes in and kicks 5.
Battle *ing rules HB and Wilkie marks *ing everything...
Nas is completely off the chain and slicing them to bits.

Just once...

is it ******* asking too much.
Do you mean potential and hype being realised and shown effectively, rather than discussed and merely hoped for?

People are irrational. We have better potential players in the depth not better depth.

It would be a nightmare publicity wise but Lyon won't be unsafe until next year.
I reckon Lyon will be safe until the end of his contract. He is the equivalent of Paul Roos for Melbourne. He's there to tidy up the mess and have a successor ready to take over once he's done. Wouldn't surprise me if he then takes on an admin role within the club afterwards either.

On our form this season, if North kick 11 goals, they will win, as we just can't seem to kick goals. Our pressure game has gone and I presume it must be to do with Lyon trying to change our game style in order to be more attacking and kick bigger scores- but it has flopped

He's kicked 8.2 over the last 3 games and we have zero other small forwards available
Yep Collard's scored some goals (a few of them out them were out the back cheapies) but the problem ATM is that he's had 3 tackles in 4 games

Will be a very good small fwd but at the moment he's an icing on the cake sort of option that I don't think we can afford when we have both out small fwds out of the game.

The ball needs to stay inside 50. So if we bring in Dow and Jones, that means Garcia can play as a permanent small fwd (and you know he'll bring relentless pressure), second spot to Byrnes.

Not ideal but a better chance of keeping the ball in our scoring area.

Last edited:
On our form this season, if North kick 11 goals, they will win, as we just can't seem to kick goals. Our pressure game has gone and I presume it must be to do with Lyon trying to change our game style in order to be more attacking and kick bigger scores- but it has flopped
North's defence is pretty terrible though. We will get King back who should help but lose Higgins. North have conceded over 100 in every game this year so it will be interesting to see what we can score against them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I hate to pile on pressure, but now there is more than the season in the balance with this game:

Yes, North makes much more sense to relocate, but since when is the AFL governed by sense?

In my darker moments, and the last two weeks count among them, I sometimes wonder if we shouldn't just give it up and relocate to Tassie. We are the red headed step child of the AFL, stuck behind the 8 ball while their favourites get assistance, get smashed by the league our VFL alignment, umpires and match review, ignored or dismissed by media. Most Saints supporters don't get to games anyway so having our home games in Tassie won't change much. If anything the club would be doing us a favour giving us a chance to move on and avoid the weekly and annual disappointments.

Give us some hope St Kilda, something worth hanging on for. We've got the best president we've had since I started following footy, the most promising set of kids we've had in over a decade and a wily coach with a point to prove. We couldn't be in better hands, so let's start making it count before we're boxed off and sent to Hobart.

Not sure why people want Collard in other than the fact that he's "a small forward".

Hasn't done enough to warrant selection.

Because it is a position on the ground and he's the only one available?

For a team that struggles to kick goals, perhaps not the best idea to play someone there whose best position is not as a forward and therefore doesn't kick goals.

For a team that struggles to kick goals, perhaps not the best idea to play someone there whose best position is not as a forward and therefore doesn't kick goals.
I think we're pretty well stocked for guys who don't kick goals but can run around chasing the opposition player with the ball all day. A natural and skillful goal kicker would be a nice change.

I think we're pretty well stocked for guys who don't kick goals but can run around chasing the opposition player with the ball all day. A natural and skillful goal kicker would be a nice change.
Are we? Our forward line is mostly bigger blokes who can’t apply much pressure at all. Moving Garcia forward makes sense because he’s played forward quite a bit in his junior footy and does apply pressure. Collard excites me but I wouldn’t be surprised if he was left out.

King comes in, probably for Sharman. Dow and Hayes are a great chance. Webster and Wood probably need a VFL match.

Whats in a name - lets pick someone because they play a "position" and we have a vacancy in that position - don't worry whether they are any good at it or not (ATM).

Wood is fwd until he's a winger, Sinclair is a hbf until he is a mid. Sharman is - well pick a position any position.

On exposed form Garcia is a better option as a pressure fwd simply because he has played in that position, does actually provide pressure and can run through the mid if needed.

I'd prefer Byrnes as the other option simply because of his AFL experience and his more developed body strength.

Collard will be great but I don't think we are traveling well enough or settled enough to carry a very low possession young very light fwd on the assumption he might provide a highlight or two.

Whats in a name - lets pick someone because they play a "position" and we have a vacancy in that position - don't worry whether they are any good at it or not (ATM).

Wood is fwd until he's a winger, Sinclair is a hbf until he is a mid. Sharman is - well pick a position any position.

On exposed form Garcia is a better option as a pressure fwd simply because he has played in that position, does actually provide pressure and can run through the mid if needed.

I'd prefer Byrnes as the other option simply because of his AFL experience and his more developed body strength.

Collard will be great but I don't think we are traveling well enough or settled enough to carry a very low possession young very light fwd on the assumption he might provide a highlight or two.

A goal or two. We need goals.

Byrnes - 55 games, 11 goals, none this season.
Garcia - 3 games, 1 goal. Getting better...

Webster would have better body strength and experience, but we're not about to play him there.

It's North Melbourne and we need goals - Collard is next.

We're averaging less than 10.5 goals per game this year. Given that all of our other small forwards are unavailable, I'd be happy to bring in a low possession young very light forward on the assumption that he might provide a goal or two. He was burnt 3 or 4 times by teammates in his one quarter of senior footy - he was getting into good positions to impact on the scoreboard and was let down by his team.

Agree that Garcia is a good option as the pressure forward. I think Collard can take Higgo's role as the more attacking small forward who hits the scoreboard more.

If anyone can lose to the Norfs ....we can....:oops:

ac7e86fd8c6a6953b686cc0e7b9a8900.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back