Preview Round 8, 2024: St.Kilda v North Melbourne - Marvel Stadium, Saturday 4 May, 4.35pm AEST

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Phillipou will not be dropped. Not even a discussion. Whether you like it or not (and are yet to recognise it), the plan is clearly to play him as much as possible unless he's physically injured. He would've been dropped or rested last year numerous times if the RTBs plan wasn't to get as many games into him early in his career as possible. I sense that it's a similar plan with Wilson. A complete change from 2008/09/10/11 RTB.

Besides the obvious with Higgins (and maybe Ro), I would expect Sharman, Howard, and Stocker to be on the chopping blocks.
Remember his '4 year rule' the first time at St Kilda? Basically had a theory that players needed to do a 4 year apprenticeship before they could regularly play AFL. Used to cause furore on here (rightly so). He has definitely changed when it comes to young players.

In: King, Collard, Hayes, Webster
Out: Caminiti (omitted), Higgins (suspended), Howard (omitted), Bonner (omitted)

Webster Cordy Wilkie
Sinclair Battle Milera
Hill Ross Wilson
Garcia King Membrey
Owens Hayes Collard
Marshall Steele Windhager

Stocker Sharman Byrnes Hastie

Sub: Phillipou

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Owens is not a midfielder and never will be, maybe it's a fantasy for some fans.
Owens was a utlity player and played just about every position, including midfield in juniors. I think expecting him to be a full time mid isnt realistic but he absolutely can be expected to learn his craft in there.

Collard is a skillful finisher. Might not win heaps of his own ball but he could only need a few opportunities to get a few goals. And that's what we are in need of.
Sometimes you just need a spark to set off a fire.
Collard "could" be the spark to fire up our team.

Remember his '4 year rule' the first time at St Kilda? Basically had a theory that players needed to do a 4 year apprenticeship before they could regularly play AFL. Used to cause furore on here (rightly so). He has definitely changed when it comes to young players.
I think there are maybe a few reasons.

1. In the intervening 15 years since he first took us on the development of the U18s is way ahead. Way more players than just the first 5 are ready to play across the league.

2. The past few years in commentary watching other sides and how they've gone about it with introducing first and second year players

3. He's generally more relaxed than he was than 1.0 StK and Freo days. In some ways he's probably treating this as a free swing for the fence as it's success or done as a coach. He'll retire with a respected reputation as a coach so only way is up to the premiership coach level of respect.

If rtb can unleash Arie and to a lesser extent Bonner they can use their weapons to shoot over the top of our weak midfield and bypass them altogether.
This could result in the oppo manning up on them which frees up our defense and allowing us to easily move the ball out more traditionally,
dropping back defenders which opens up our mids and causing mass confusion to the oppo mids and defenders which basically ends up with us being able to use our run and kick more goals. We just need to be really flexible and learn to change it up. Makes us hard to play against.
Needs some tweaking of course but over to you rtb with your new game plan.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

IN: King, Dow, Wood
OUT: Sharman, Higgins, Howard

Midfield needs a shakeup and Jones needs to play more than one good VFL game to be considered. Jimmy Webster probably needs a practice run after his long holiday, plus playing him would probably just fire up North. Stocker and Bonner need to show something quickly though. If Membrey and Phillipou can't find something against North's horrid defence they'll be on the block too.

A lot of people want to drop Caminiti for Hayes but I like what I've seen from Hammer. He's our only forward who actually hits packs and earns scoring shots consistently (more goals than points would be nice though).

Wood is a really important player, leads by example and a mentor for the kids. Howard was bad last week and we certainly don't need to play four key backs against North.

Midfield needs a shakeup and Jones needs to play more than one good VFL game to be considered. Jimmy Webster probably needs a practice run after his long holiday, plus playing him would probably just fire up North. Stocker and Bonner need to show something quickly though. If Membrey and Phillipou can't find something against North's horrid defence they'll be on the block too.

A lot of people want to drop Caminiti for Hayes but I like what I've seen from Hammer. He's our only forward who actually hits packs and earns scoring shots consistently (more goals than points would be nice though).

Wood is a really important player, leads by example and a mentor for the kids. Howard was bad last week and we certainly don't need to play four key backs against North.
Id be resting Membrey before Caminiti. Members has done nothing to keep his position going back as far as last year.

The reason I would go for Hayes over Caminiti is that, whilst Caminiti is more our future, Hayes is very experienced, admittedly in the SANFL, but he has got that experience to draw in a strategic sense, combined with his marking and rucking skills, whilst Caminity is still very raw and developing..

Can we just like have a good game for once?

You know, just imagine.. Windy gets 30+, King kicks 7, Collard comes in and kicks 5.
Battle *ing rules HB and Wilkie marks *ing everything...
Nas is completely off the chain and slicing them to bits.

Just once...

is it ******* asking too much.
A 100 point belting would be nice. Hopefully we're not on the receiving end tho...

Relax Gringo come next Saturday we will all be saying what the hell were we all nervous about and be celebrating and toasting our 5 point win like it was 1966 all over again.

Probably. But never say never with us.

Saints fans expect finals. They're already annoyed at how we have gone so far. A loss to North will just be bad news all round.

We are really unlikely to play finals barring a miracle turn around now. Essendon game probably ended the season. Dogs put a nail in it.

We can hardly score 40 points at the moment.
Not Funny Lol GIF by WWE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back