Preview Round 8, 2024: St.Kilda v North Melbourne - Marvel Stadium, Saturday 4 May, 4.35pm AEST

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We all think Higgins should have been suspended. Pretty sure it's the 3 weeks that we don't agree with.

Precedent in this season alone would suggest it should be less.

This is heading in the direction of rugby though, where 100% of the duty of care lies with the tackler and none with the officiating umpire or with the ball carrier.

At this stage if I'm a ball carrier I'm doing everything I can to kick the ball despite the tackle because the responsibility is with the tackler to look after me. If I'm a tackler I'm holding him upright letting him drop the ball and then trying to push him off his kick to get an incorrect disposal

How do you think the rugby interpretation of high hits has gone? To me it’s ruined the game for the last few seasons, but this year seems better. Looks like the players have recalibrated now and the games back to normal.

Maybe there should be a 3rd umpire handing out yellow cards where a team plays down a man for foul play? (This isn’t a serious idea as the afl would absolutely cook it)

He looks a lot better when I've watched them. His front half pressure game looks so much better and his score involvements are much better.

It was always going to happen. He was very good early on in his career and injury and looking lost in Lyon's system made it easier to let him go but hoping that he'd be shot was going to disappoint a few. He wasn't what Lyon wanted and if Collard comes on perhaps it wasn't such a bad move.

I guess Henry is the player that took his spot and as long as he meets or exceeds what we gave up it was worth it.

It looks like we wanted to clear the decks to make cap space as well so if it attracts a better player it is a bonus.
I only watched the Anzac Day game on and off while doing a family BBQ. In the last quarter when it finally got my full attention I asked one of the rellies if Gresham was playing as I hadn't noticed him. Thought he was a non factor.

I was his biggest fan two years ago but have no issue with him leaving now. His well documented weaknesses were there for all to see and won't be going away any time soon. He'll have his moments and kick the occasional clutch goal like he did for us but he'll never be a deGoey type.

Bringing in Henry as a virtual replacement for Gresham is a win in my eyes. Unless the injury curse strikes again.

Looking through the list of suspended players so far this season it was no surprise to see there weren't any Collingwood players. Courtesy in no small part to ex Magpie Christian running the Match Review.

No doubt there were a few fines probably subsidized by him. The guy's a big player in the racehorse breeding Industry. I wish it was his full time and only profession.

i question the validity and worth of that SEN report on most improved players too. It says Todd Goldstein has sunk massively and even I can see that Goldy has been more than decent. But I also see Gresham looking sharper, leaner and I think he is going OK. I brought it up because our midfield sucks so badly and he might be handy. So would Matt Crouch, perhaps more so? Anyway, I think he's going Ok and we most definitely are not...so far.
It's all about to change however, obviously.

How do you think the rugby interpretation of high hits has gone? To me it’s ruined the game for the last few seasons, but this year seems better. Looks like the players have recalibrated now and the games back to normal.

Maybe there should be a 3rd umpire handing out yellow cards where a team plays down a man for foul play? (This isn’t a serious idea as the afl would absolutely cook it)
Rugby has changed for sure. But leading up to the 'concussion' laws governing contact to the head there had already been lots of rule changes addressing player safety. Changes at the scrum, the tackle and the breakdown which did make the game safer and more enjoyable to play. Charging and elevating in the scrum or wrapping arms and lifting in the tackle are good examples. So while a part of me is resistant to the new rules governing contact to the head because I don't like watching it, I am prepared to bite my lip and let the incumbent generation of players decide what is best for the sport. If I am being honest though, I don't enjoy it. But I also suspect I suffer from some brain damage as a result of playing.

Rugby has approached it very differently though...they made hard rules around playing actions. Contact to the head? Penalty and a card. No wishy, washy degrees of intent or potential to cause harm or character reference or releasing the arm. You make contact to the head you're done.

The AFL is adjudicating in two or more spheres. For example, the AFL doesn't like the bump...because data shows that a bump has a high chance of injuring an opponent, especially if it's poorly executed. But they won't outlaw the action. They simply say players can continue to do that, but if something goes wrong the bumper is 100% solely responsible for the outcome. How the AFL can claims to have absolved itself in any case of a bump gone wrong astounds me. If a player bumps and breaks his opponents ribs, or sternum...no issue. Concussion? Well that's 7 weeks off.

Rugby has changed for sure. But leading up to the 'concussion' laws governing contact to the head there had already been lots of rule changes addressing player safety. Changes at the scrum, the tackle and the breakdown which did make the game safer and more enjoyable to play. Charging and elevating in the scrum or wrapping arms and lifting in the tackle are good examples. So while a part of me is resistant to the new rules governing contact to the head because I don't like watching it, I am prepared to bite my lip and let the incumbent generation of players decide what is best for the sport. If I am being honest though, I don't enjoy it. But I also suspect I suffer from some brain damage as a result of playing.

Rugby has approached it very differently though...they made hard rules around playing actions. Contact to the head? Penalty and a card. No wishy, washy degrees of intent or potential to cause harm or character reference or releasing the arm. You make contact to the head you're done.

The AFL is adjudicating in two or more spheres. For example, the AFL doesn't like the bump...because data shows that a bump has a high chance of injuring an opponent, especially if it's poorly executed. But they won't outlaw the action. They simply say players can continue to do that, but if something goes wrong the bumper is 100% solely responsible for the outcome. How the AFL can claims to have absolved itself in any case of a bump gone wrong astounds me. If a player bumps and breaks his opponents ribs, or sternum...no issue. Concussion? Well that's 7 weeks off.
I totally agree with all this with the exception that I actually have enjoyed this years super rugby and think rugbys hard line on head contact has paid off with less issues and less cards and it’s back to being a good game to watch.

Also it’s hard to argue with the rule changes given I’ve a plate in my head from a fractured scull which I never left the pitch and kept playing.

I’ve thought for a long time that the umpiring of afl could learn a lot from the reffing of Union. They are complex games which take interpretations, just make sure you are clear and consistent on how it will be interpreted and thing tend to work.

on a side note to me it just feels like the rigger of decision making and process behind the scenes in the AFL is half assed, and every change to the game they make causes more issues that need to be ironed. I’d be embarrassed if that’s how my business was being run.

Perfect match to bring Collard back in

doit-ben-stiller.gif

Apparently Steele was walking with a pronounced limp at the VFL match. Marshall is obviously pumped full of pain killer. They'd be crazy to risk damage to both if they are limited.
We shouldn’t need either to beat north if we’re a serious team. Isn’t north’s midfield a bunch of kids? Put Pou on LDU, Owens on Wardlaw, Windy on Phillips Ross on Simpkin.

Aidan Corr will do everything he can to limit the Saints scoring. What will Ross Lyon do (hypothetically) to "limit" the influence of Aidan Corr and also nullify the work of Harry Sheezel to ensure St Kilda win by 15 goals plus?

September is a fantasy without some significant percentage changes.

Attachments

• Bad Percentage.png
    Bad Percentage.png
    30.4 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Scientific research found that if you answered yes to both questions you are mentally malleable and believed we would be a top 4 side this year prior to R1 and still think finals is possible after going undefeated for the remainder of the season starting with a percentage boosting win against North.

We shouldn’t need either to beat north if we’re a serious team. Isn’t north’s midfield a bunch of kids? Put Pou on LDU, Owens on Wardlaw, Windy on Phillips Ross on Simpkin.

I call Pou, Owens and Windy a bunch of kids.

It's likely to be a very small crowd is my guess
Probably, but Saturday late Arvo games are getting a boost lately. It’s a good time to go in and then hang out in town after the game. I think Sat Arvo late games are a winner, just as Sunday twilight games are a dud.

Eddie McQuire and his TV mates don’t like em and wanna kill Sat Arvo altogether, along with North Melbourne (thanks Eddie again, for incentivising North this week) but Sat Arvo is a winner. (Eddie and mates only care about traditional TV and so Sunday Arvo footy, no matter how dire, offers a few viewers and TV adevertising as the audience laments the coming work week in then shrinking daylight hours of wet cool and dark May Sundays.

Unfortunately, it’s us and North. We’ve had the Bulldogs at the nadir of their season, and now we get North. Still Sat Arvo is a good time to head into town. And the Sunday evening blues are not a factor. I am surprised they didn’t fixture it for Sunday. And then it truly would have been a VFA reserves atmosphere , in the late 80s.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back