Preview Round 8, 2024: St.Kilda v North Melbourne - Marvel Stadium, Saturday 4 May, 4.35pm AEST

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oleg Markov. Charlie Spargo. Daniel Venables. Shane Biggs.

You'll find names like these in many premiership teams. All at Byrnes' level as a footballer. If we do win a flag, the team will likely include a marginal best-22 type like Ryan Byrnes.

I do love the poetry in Jimmys first match back is against the team he was rubbed out for 7 weeks against

Just wait until jimmy gets knocked out behind the play- and then the roos player gets 0 weeks because of a brand new tribunal defence the AFL cook up (just for this week only- never to be used again):

"The head is sacrosanct, unless you hit a bloke.... that hit a bloke"

I think the game plan is out-dated, and might have worked last time Lyon coached years back but may just be not for today's game.
Nope, all AFL coaches tell us there is very little difference in game plans across the comp, the game plans that do have a little innovation are the ones deployed by top 4 sides because the coaches of top 4 sides have the talent to introduce play that is higher risk because they have the players who can execute higher risk skills.

Chris Scott talked about this in fascinating detail after their 2022 flag and more or less admitted the addition of Cameron to their list allowed them to tweak their game plan to execute said riskier set plays.

Agree, problem is we currently have an imbalance of these types.

In the 23? Yes, but we have either out or returning from injury Crouch, Dow, Henry & Clark.

I have no issue with Byrnes being in, and continuing to be in the side if form and output warrants. But there is a lot of hyperbole around these parts (BigFooty not just St Kilda land) about "you can't win flags with players like xxx" in your side.

Sure you can. It happens all the time.

Without doing a deep dive, think it’s fairly obvious his output and basic stats have been improving each year.

Not every player is going to be a star. Some are just honest workers like Ronny who will fulfil a role on a consistent basis at a time this young core can fulfil its potential.
5afd7aae9ce0cf10e31effe98b4d66da.jpg
Young and just past 50 games, coming into his prime for consistency.

It can be harder for players to look good at VFL level too, he should look better up forward with AFL level players kicking to him.

Our AFL level midfielders aren't great but they are better than North's VFL level defenders so he has no excuses not to look better.
Agree with this. If we wait for returning players to knock the door down at Sandy we could be waiting for a while. If they're fit and look good on the track bring 'em in.

If we can score 10 goals it will be a miracle.
I'll be disappointed if we don't kick 15. If we can't do a number on North at Marvel with our INS then we are a bottom 4 side. I can be as pessimistic as anyone after watching the same movie year after year but there's no excuses for anything other than a good win this week.

Strange considering he has been improving every year.
I love how people can be so sure a player has reached their ceiling. How do any of us know what a player's best can be? People said the same think about Byrnes 2 years ago and he's improved since. He's still young. Think of Gears who was pretty much a maje up the numbers player for the first half of his career or Aussie Jones who turned his role on his head and became a super reliable backman late in this career.

He probably won't get faster but he may run more effectively, use space better, sharpen up his distribution, gain game intelligence, tackle harder, and develop those leadership qualities for which he was renowned as a youth player.

He probably won't ever be the second coming of Lenny Hayes, but the way his career is progressing, he will continue to get better as the team does and will continue to be useful. We absolutely need players like him, just not a whole squad full!

Looking at the teams I'm fairly confident we'll hammer them. King Membrey Hayes will give them some headaches.
We have got a potent forward line. If it gets down there well, we will score most probably.

North will be crapping their daks looking at our forwards, their number one concern will be making sure we don't get any decent inside 50s, as we don't have crumbers or pressure forwards, if our delivery is off, North will have a few mids back to mop up and get it out twice as quick, so our forward like will probably be crowded.

We need our best distributors forward of centre getting our boys clean marks in the F50: Hill, Nas, Wilson, Windy, Hastie should take turns getting upfield and giving Max & co silver service.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In my opinion tomorrow will be a grind. It will be all about system vs talent.
Yes I believe they have superior midfield talent and we will have to rely upon system and hard work.
Don’t bring the hard work and we will get rolled.
Come ready to play and roll up ur sleeves and I think we will get up by 3 goals.
I hate these games that we’re expected to win easy, because as we all know it’s never the case.
Max needs to bring his A game tomorrow.
Very nervous. Go you mighty saints.

We have got a potent forward line. If it gets down there well, we will score most probably.

North will be crapping their daks looking at our forwards, their number one concern will be making sure we don't get any decent inside 50s, as we don't have crumbers or pressure forwards, if our delivery is off, North will have a few mids back to mop up and get it out twice as quick, so our forward like will probably be crowded.

We need our best distributors forward of centre getting our boys clean marks in the F50: Hill, Nas, Wilson, Windy, Hastie should take turns getting upfield and giving Max & co silver service.
Don't think the plan will be silver service. Lose it in the midfield - win it back at half back and then go flat out to get one on ones inside f50.

Like the Ins. Really hoping we can pump the tin rattlers, we have really struggled to put them away on the last couple of attempts. To score over 100 would be nice for a change.

Really feel like this is a bit of a lose-lose game for us.

It's been fairly well publicised that North have conceded over 100 points in each game this season.

We've struggled to score in every game, Collingwood excepted.

If we eke out a 9.13 to 8.8 sort of win it won't exactly tell us much about the side - in fact it will feel quite hollow.

Really feel like this is a bit of a lose-lose game for us.

It's been fairly well publicised that North have conceded over 100 points in each game this season.

We've struggled to score in every game, Collingwood excepted.

If we eke out a 9.13 to 8.8 sort of win it won't exactly tell us much about the side - in fact it will feel quite hollow.
Exactly what happened last year. We shall see

I love how people can be so sure a player has reached their ceiling. How do any of us know what a player's best can be? People said the same think about Byrnes 2 years ago and he's improved since. He's still young. Think of Gears who was pretty much a maje up the numbers player for the first half of his career or Aussie Jones who turned his role on his head and became a super reliable backman late in this career.

He probably won't get faster but he may run more effectively, use space better, sharpen up his distribution, gain game intelligence, tackle harder, and develop those leadership qualities for which he was renowned as a youth player.

He probably won't ever be the second coming of Lenny Hayes, but the way his career is progressing, he will continue to get better as the team does and will continue to be useful. We absolutely need players like him, just not a whole squad full!
I really don't understand the negativity around him. He's shown obvious improvement, and is going better than many other players that seem to get the plaudits ahead of him.
He's going okay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back