Autopsy Round 8, 2024: St.Kilda v North Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

It’s not hyperbole to suggest King can win multiple Coleman’s.

He has all the tools and ability to be that good.

I wonder if keeping him lithe is making him a not quite anything player. Heard that we deliberately keep weight off him to keep him mobile. Fraser Gehrig was a good running half back early on. He bulked up and became a star leading FF.

Perhaps keeping him as an adaptable player is doing him no good.

It’s not hyperbole to suggest King can win multiple Coleman’s.

He has all the tools and ability to be that good.
I just mean holding him to the standard of the literal record holder for goals is rough. Assuming max retires around 35 he’s 23 now turning 24. That’s 110 goals a year he needs to average for the next 11 years.

We all have to give the guy sometime , he has hardly had a great start to the year due to interruptions - but with every game I'm sure he we get some touch back and once he does along side Hayes and Henry it is going to be great to watch.

Frustrating that 6 years in or what ever it is, our great star hope has started to look like he could be another not quite player. Clark and Coff also falling over and a quiet year from Owens and Phillipou and a little bit of panic starts to set in.

Frustrating that 6 years in or what ever it is, our great star hope has started to look like he could be another not quite player. Clark and Coff also falling over and a quiet year from Owens and Phillipou and a little bit of panic starts to set in.
It's a bit like this old mate ......... Satan's final "Inspirational Membership Drive Video" gift to the club before he was moved on.

Don't get me wrong, he was a great CEO

1714905373040.png

Saints or Ghosts ........ it's all the same to me .........

then under the new admin it's more like this ........

Last edited:
The big picture Clark and Coffield never played enough to even be considered as best 22 players and because they were high draft picks mean f/k all in the big picture of things.
It's amazing most of our best players have been players like Marshall , Sinclair , Wilkie who I think were all rookies.

The kids in Owens , Windhager and Phillipou will have there peaks and troughs as they develop - people have to realize Phillipou is only a couple mths older than Collard so he basically has a lot of strength and conditioning to go through.
Owens is being played out of position for me , but whatever they are trying to teach him hopefully will only make him better.

To me Windhager looks like he is building towards becoming a ball pig - has the strength and courage to be a very good player and having 25 touches and 8 tackles he is starting to get enough of the ball to call him a midfielder and must be remembered Nth have a pretty good midfield and really nothing much else.

The positives are this Wilson kid looks he will be our next captain , in his first year he has gone way past a Billings or Gresham ever looked.
Hastie looks to have above average ability as well , Garcia looks like a player as well.
Collard has the skills to be a very classy player as well and the Shoemaker and Keller will get there chance in time.

But in all reality I didn't expect to see all these kids playing - to me this has really put pressure on the developing kids like Owens , Windhager and Phillipou having to be in the main core of players to lift the group due to the injuries , however now with Webster , Howard , Wood , Hayes , King back hopefully they get the ability to play there natural game.

To me Membery needs to be playing way better than what he is to be giving these kids some support - but his stats are average and goes missing , I fully expect when Henry , Higgins are back Membery will be need to be playing his best to keep his position.

With Henry and Higgins back and we are going to cause a fair few headaches - we will see how every thing unfolds but with the experience back into our best 22 I fully expect a better 2nd half of the season.

Who would of thought we would of played 4 first year players this year - I didn't

We beat North who are really the worst team in the AFL atm , so the game to me was a settler after performing way below expectations.

But people don't realize how important Wood is to this team , his 2 way running and marking ability and his defensive work is huge and with the addition of a true small defender with a tall key defender makes us a different team.
Hayes is also a game changer - we now have a CHF who can ruck when needed.

We could well have Henry back next week as well and he is slick as and gives a a edge with his skill set.

If we didn't have these injuries to start the season we wouldn't be sitting in 14th

The big picture Clark and Coffield never played enough to even be considered as best 22 players and because they were high draft picks mean f/k all in the big picture of things.
It's amazing most of our best players have been players like Marshall , Sinclair , Wilkie who I think were all rookies.

The kids in Owens , Windhager and Phillipou will have there peaks and troughs as they develop - people have to realize Phillipou is only a couple mths older than Collard so he basically has a lot of strength and conditioning to go through.
Owens is being played out of position for me , but whatever they are trying to teach him hopefully will only make him better.

To me Windhager looks like he is building towards becoming a ball pig - has the strength and courage to be a very good player and having 25 touches and 8 tackles he is starting to get enough of the ball to call him a midfielder and must be remembered Nth have a pretty good midfield and really nothing much else.

The positives are this Wilson kid looks he will be our next captain , in his first year he has gone way past a Billings or Gresham ever looked.
Hastie looks to have above average ability as well , Garcia looks like a player as well.
Collard has the skills to be a very classy player as well and the Shoemaker and Keller will get there chance in time.

But in all reality I didn't expect to see all these kids playing - to me this has really put pressure on the developing kids like Owens , Windhager and Phillipou having to be in the main core of players to lift the group due to the injuries , however now with Webster , Howard , Wood , Hayes , King back hopefully they get the ability to play there natural game.

To me Membery needs to be playing way better than what he is to be giving these kids some support - but his stats are average and goes missing , I fully expect when Henry , Higgins are back Membery will be need to be playing his best to keep his position.

With Henry and Higgins back and we are going to cause a fair few headaches - we will see how every thing unfolds but with the experience back into our best 22 I fully expect a better 2nd half of the season.

Who would of thought we would of played 4 first year players this year - I didn't

We beat North who are really the worst team in the AFL atm , so the game to me was a settler after performing way below expectations.

But people don't realize how important Wood is to this team , his 2 way running and marking ability and his defensive work is huge and with the addition of a true small defender with a tall key defender makes us a different team.
Hayes is also a game changer - we now have a CHF who can ruck when needed.

We could well have Henry back next week as well and he is slick as and gives a a edge with his skill set.

If we didn't have these injuries to start the season we wouldn't be sitting in 14th

It will be interesting to see what works better. North are rebuilding with real high end kids but living through being scorched earth bad.

We are doing it on the fly and trying to stay competitive. There is no right or wrong way but the less bad moves you make and the more lucky you are with getting picks right the more likely it is that you get a pay off. Geelong and Sydney are sides built on good solid talent with a few stars. Melbourne, Brisbane and Dogs probably superior built list sides.

I feel Wilson has a Lenny-like demeanour, understated but chirpy at certain times. I could see him being a decent captain, but I reckon Windy would make a great one. For now I'm happy enough for them to develop as players but we need to get strong leaders coming through.

I know he turnt it over a couple of times as well but sometimes you have to take the good with the bad.
That was essentially Lyons attitude in the first press conference when asked about a couple of Bonners turnovers, something like you don't pull him up on 2 mistakes out of 20 possessions or you risk losing the style of play that has him in the team in the first place

I feel Wilson has a Lenny-like demeanour, understated but chirpy at certain times. I could see him being a decent captain, but I reckon Windy would make a great one. For now I'm happy enough for them to develop as players but we need to get strong leaders coming through.
Wilson interviews really well. Clearly has a good head on his shoulders.

Its utter rubbish that he’s inconsistent. His 2023 season was as consistent as you can get (averaged 2 & a bit per game with no big bags that distorted that).

Had a stinker last night no doubt.

17 other clubs would be clamouring for his signature.

Sent from my

Yes they would, which is why I facetiously asked how much he would be worth in a trade situation (We are in a premiership business, not a lets give a 7 foot tall bloke a free pass for 10 years business) When King plays well, he's great. He goes missing a lot though when playing as a full forward, and doesn't do enough team orientated things to make him immune from scrutiny.
He should be away from goal using his much touted athleticism and agility more. We have better suited players for the full forward role.
Save for a select few most of the criticism of King comes from KNOWING he can be better than he is.

The attitude stuff is within his control, we’ve seen how good he can be when he’s working up and back and we want that more.

Seeing him stand flat footed in the square calling for a 70m bomb on his head then getting stroppy when he doesn’t mark it or get a free is just not it.
This 100%

It will be interesting to see what works better. North are rebuilding with real high end kids but living through being scorched earth bad.

We are doing it on the fly and trying to stay competitive. There is no right or wrong way but the less bad moves you make and the more lucky you are with getting picks right the more likely it is that you get a pay off. Geelong and Sydney are sides built on good solid talent with a few stars. Melbourne, Brisbane and Dogs probably superior built list sides.
Gringo I wouldn't say we are doing it on the fly , just say we started the rebuild with Dunstan , Billings , McArtin , Clark , Coffield , Gresham , Acres , Long - all were taken with hopes they would pull us out of the doldrums.

Of course we have also had the great cull that Leathlean put in plays to at least attempt to make us more competitive , but in doing that he also attempt to bring in good talent and tried to make us look like a attractive club to move to.
Weller , Lonie , Carlisle , Brown , Hickey , Longer , Savage , Wright , Stevens , Bruce , Armitage , Newnes ------ the list is long but it had to be done , because it was a list going nowhere.

Bringing the likes of Ryder , Hanerberry , Hill was just a attempt to bring some quality into the club to lift standards.
Hanners was a mistake but we were desperate and had to use up cap space anyway and who's to say he never helped Sinclair become the player he is today and his input never helped the squad - I'm pretty sure it helped.

Picking up players like King , Higgins , Henry , Milera , Phillipou , Wilson - these guys are all first round picks and when you look at it this way it shows we have being trying to bring top end talent into the club and when you add on Owens , Windhager who we were lucky to snag for the cheap we are starting to really get some back bone to our squad.

So I wouldn't not say we are doing it on the fly , we look to have our drafting in a good place at the moment - however it's lost it's main man in Toce , but it's looking far better than the Richardson era.

People also have to look at the players we have picked up like Crouch - no matter what anybody says , he is a top line midfielder and has proven that with us and people said we could not attract a free agent , even with the tainting of the Coke arrest - the Cats wanted him and we got him for nothing beating the Cats.

Have the faith , we have weathered the storm through many years and it looks we are finally looking to get some talent that might take us somewhere.

We just have to be patient now - Milera , Owens , Windhager , Phillipou , Wilson who all look like top liners (all are 20 or younger) and King , Higgins and Henry are all first round draft picks for a reason.

The comments about King make me laugh - he is a 23yr old , just starting to get his shi/ together and he gets suspended , then comes back gets a injury comes back after to weeks with no game time and doesn't have a good game - he is going to be a star - he will never be a Plugger but no one ever will.

And one thing that must be thought about these other teams like the Swans , GWS , Suns , Lions have all had the luxury of ripping the best kids out of the the Academy and draft for years so we are behind the 8 ball from the start , but if we get lucky the next flag will be far more sweeter than the teams that have been gifted flags or in the Suns and GWS case given everything and still unable to get there due to no blue collar workers that have to put in the work to get to the top.

Hawthorn winning today is definitely a good thing.

Wins release the pressure and losses add pressure. Like when the Dogs lost to Essendon and was the big story all week and we had a 5 day break, I was worried the Dogs would bounce back.

At a strategic level, them winning shows Ross what we need to do to beat them. They'll not make any drastic changes to the lineup or game plan after a win.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just watched the presser, fmd who's the reporter :tearsofjoy:

What modern journalism has become always fishing for controversy.
"
Will this become a rivalry game because of what happened preseason"

"Did you say anything about Wilson staying on" - yeh I did, 'good contest' lol

"Will you play north in finals in a few years" :dizzy:

how much do they get paid because I've been looking for a career change and a passed grade 3 in flying colours.
Yeah they’re really ordinary….some of the questions….geezus
“So Ross…..do you want to get on a roll?”
Lyon (bemused) “yeah ..that’s the aim…”
They’re s**t

I wonder if keeping him lithe is making him a not quite anything player. Heard that we deliberately keep weight off him to keep him mobile. Fraser Gehrig was a good running half back early on. He bulked up and became a star leading FF.

Perhaps keeping him as an adaptable player is doing him no good.
King will never be a monster full forward, his best attribute is his run and jump at the ball. The problem with that is that he seems to have no interest in using his attributes to his advantage. He looks like he just wants to have a wrestling match in the goal square instead of coming up at the ball. Hayes came in and did exactly what King should do and ended up kicking a couple. King needs to take a leaf out of Hayes' book. He will never be a gorilla key forward and should stop trying to play like one.

Rubbish. People will make up anything to justify ridiculous positions.
Well exactly.
You don’t make it to pick number 4 if you “don’t want it enough”.

It's interesting having a little read of the North autopsy. They are really bitter, so many bagging our club saying how s**t we are etc. At the ground there was a guy near me constantly paying out Mason Wood saying "footsteps Wood". I mean how bitter and twisted can you get?

I feel for them it must be horrible watching your team lose every week (well actually I know from experience), but also let's not become that ourselves after a few losses. Max had a s**t game, ah well let's get behind him and show some support rather than pile onto him. He will get back to his best but maybe our expectations of him are too high especially after being out for a few weeks injured. We know how good he can be.

As for those North supporters, why they feel the need to degrade us, a fellow battling club that have been to hell and back ourselves, is a pretty strange study in human behaviour. Like I said, I have some sympathy, but after reading some of the comments maybe they can get stuffed.
One of the clubs I hate
Most nth supporters I’ve met have an entitlement attitude
They can bash it for mine
Carey stuffed their club and they have no heartland….its an inner city warehouse hub

Well exactly.
You don’t make it to pick number 4 if you “don’t want it enough”.
I don't agree categorically. Fischer McAstley (sp?) comes to mind. Arguably Jack Watts. Laurence Anguin (sp?) from a few years back. Just off the top of my head, there are many more high picks that didn't want it enough to give it their all.

Plenty of people get drafted high and find a few years into the programme that they don't have the determination, dedication or discipline for AFL. Plenty of others find their huge advantage as a junior is less as a pro, and don't have the tools to battle for supremacy that other players developed in their formative years.

Pretty sure that's not Max's case though. Probably just struggling to build a baseline to go back to mentally with all his injuries.

One of the clubs I hate
Most nth supporters I’ve met have an entitlement attitude
They can bash it for mine
Carey stuffed their club and they have no heartland….its an inner city warehouse hub
Oh no but didn't you hear Clarko talk about the area undergoing some kind of urban renovation. Best thing they could do to renovate North Melbourne is raze the joint and shoot the miserable club into the Sun.

Oh no but didn't you hear Clarko talk about the area undergoing some kind of urban renovation. Best thing they could do to renovate North Melbourne is raze the joint and shoot the miserable club into the Sun.
Must admit, I sat next to a grumpy old Norf supporter on Saturday. He got a bit lippy at one point towards me in the last quarter, I guess that was a mistake on his behalf based on the amount of rubbish (and the ease of which) you can (I did) throw at that club. They aren't the brightest those old Norf supporters, you'd think they'd be a bit more humble when they are constantly down by a minimum 5 goals.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back