Preview Round 8, Melbourne versus the Brisbane Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The coaches clearly see something in Archie that us supporters do not

When he came in last time they had a definite plan to use two rucks to work over NN and then dominate when he was off. Against Melbourne it could be similar. Archie wasn't awful in the ruck against West Coast, other than the umpires being embarrassed that he received the first free kick instead of NN, resulting in them overcompensating the other way the rest of the game.

However he's basically a witches hat around the ground, which is funny because I remember when he first came in to the seniors years ago his ability to pick up the ball and make it through traffic was actually ok as I attributed it to his basketball background - disposal was a work in progress. Now he seems to have regressed.

Agree 100%. And if Gawn does completely dominate centre bounces/stoppages, you play man on man with the opposition players around Gawn to restrict the smallls taking it away with little pressure on them.

I hope Archie has been practising his spoils his week - if he's able to mitigate Gawns marking it'll be huge. The rain will help too you'd think.

I was also pleasantly surprised at how well Smith played against the Crows. His follow-up work was the best it had ever looked, although I didn't think it lasted the four quarters.

Is it as simple as buying a blue car park ticket and just rocking up? Anyone know what time the blue car park opens?

I don't see why after we play Gawn we can't Big O as a 70% number 1 ruck with both Skinner/Ballenden and McStay providing a 30% chop out between them. I do actually agree with playing Smith against Gawn though. Skinner and Ballenden would get monstered first game. I think theres also an element of potential damage by taking Oscar out of the forward line, he creates such a good contest, would Skinner/Ballenden replicate that presence? Probably not.

The coaches need to work out whether the loss of Oscar in the forward line (for say Skinner) outweighs having a better ruckman around the ground. Probably not so clear cut, either way we're losing something. We can only find out by trying it though.
Because Oscar doesn’t have the tank yet to cover that much ground.

View attachment 918105
The forecast is for this system to join with another coming from the west and more rain will persist through the weekend for Northern NSW and the Gold Coast. The debate over ruckman may not be as important this week. I think we might be better talking about contested footy on a wet track.
Its probably unlikely we'll not have the courage to not play two rucks like Collingwood did when it replaced Mason Cox with John Noble at a late stage before the game due to the weather conditions and bring in the extra runner, but given your post, we'd be mad not to.

Its probably unlikely we'll not have the courage to not play two rucks like Collingwood did when it replaced Mason Cox with John Noble at a late stage before the game due to the weather conditions and bring in the extra runner, but given your post, we'd be mad not to.
I dont think courage has anything to do with it....rather believing in a process that has been successful in recent seasons is more accurate in my opinion.

Unlikely we'll not = we will have the courage ;) to not play 2 rucks.

When he came in last time they had a definite plan to use two rucks to work over NN and then dominate when he was off. Against Melbourne it could be similar. Archie wasn't awful in the ruck against West Coast, other than the umpires being embarrassed that he received the first free kick instead of NN, resulting in them overcompensating the other way the rest of the game.

However he's basically a witches hat around the ground, which is funny because I remember when he first came in to the seniors years ago his ability to pick up the ball and make it through traffic was actually ok as I attributed it to his basketball background - disposal was a work in progress. Now he seems to have regressed.
Likewise I was more hopeful that he'd become a decent player 3 years ago than I am now but I guess he's been around long enough to realise this is his big shot at it.

Oscar I believe still has plenty of improvement in him. He gets his hand to the ball first often enough in ruck contests without ever directing it too accurately . But interestingly his hand skills in close are quite good an excellent example being his flip across in the goal square to Zorko ? last week.

Would be interesting to see if Archie can follow Andrew Phillips' season. When Phillips was at Carlton (and somewhat GWS) he was literally the worst ruckman in the comp, but over the course of this season he's been pretty good - even outplaying Grundy in the ruck contest by being more aggressive. He doesn't do a lot on the ground, but he gives the mids the upper hand straight away. I want Archie to do a Phillips, if only for this season at least.

Archie knows he has 6-8 weeks to show what he can do.
I hope he takes his chance
I hope he does too, however on exposed form over 6-7 years on our list my confidence is low. My tip is he will get 2-3 games and be found out which will result in Ballenden and/or Skinner being given a crack at it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I hope he does too, however on exposed form over 6-7 years on our list my confidence is low. My tip is he will get 2-3 games and be found out which will result in Ballenden and/or Skinner being given a crack at it.
I think with Archie, because he has been on the list for such a looooong time.
He is probably a victim of not being able to see the light at the end of the tunnel. And has fallen into lazy habits.
The injury to Stef and his Age, could really spur Archie on to bigger and better things as a result of being able to see the light 💡

Smith has youth on his side and like key forwards, most don't hit their peak until later in their 20's. I have faith in Archie's abilities. He gets his head right and he could be a big part of 2020 season and beyond.

I think with Archie, because he has been on the list for such a looooong time.
He is probably a victim of not being able to see the light at the end of the tunnel. And has fallen into lazy habits.
The injury to Stef and his Age, could really spur Archie on to bigger and better things as a result of being able to see the light 💡
Yes I have similar thoughts on Archie. Showed promise Three/four years ago. Stuck in the NEAFL behind Stef. Then Oscar jumps in front of him. Playing in the strongest side in an inferior league. Not really having to extend himself. Thinking back while watching him in the NEAFL, he was cheating a bit. Sneaking into the forward 50 when his man had gone to the goal square. Getting “easy” shots at goal.

First game back - terrible. Second game back- Average, but looked like he was rediscovering the extra intensity needed at AFL level.

Over the next four to six weeks we find out for sure if he has a future or not... hope he makes all of us eat our words.

With Archie a few years back he seemed a lot more confident. kicked a 2 goals against GWS in 2017.
You do wonder years in the NEAFL does not help with confidence. Or can make you go cruise control

With Archie a few years back he seemed a lot more confident. kicked a 2 goals against GWS in 2017.
You do wonder years in the NEAFL does not help with confidence. Or can make you go cruise control
No more cruise control.

He and Oscar are both really big guys and they need to keep the pressure on the best ruckman in the game on Sunday.

I'm thinking that they could surprise. Oscar's last effort as No 1 ruckman was excellent. Archie should be fresh as a daisy.

Is it as simple as buying a blue car park ticket and just rocking up? Anyone know what time the blue car park opens?
Obviously you will need a ticket to the actual AFL game first.
If you want to use the Blue car park you need to purchase it online before you go.
Could not find an opening time for Blue car park on my printed ticket.
I read somewhere the gates for the AFL game open at 5.10 pm.
So i would think the car park will be open sometime before that. Maybe 4.30 pm ??.
Link below to get tickets if their are still any available

One good thing is no other games at Metricon until we play on Sunday.
So ground should be in good order
Being a 6.10 pm game and rain and showers over the next few days it will be a slippery ball for all to handle.
If we do select Archie or Ballenden i hope they are prepared for a late change if it looks too wet or slippery.
Not just stick to what is named

One thing in Archie's favor.
He has been promoted to the seniors 4 times in the last 2 years.
I did not go back further than 2 years as the team was bad before then

Wins against Crows and Eagles this year both times paired with Oscar
Win against Hawks in 2019 and the one loss against Carlton both times paired with Martin.
So a 75 % winning record over 2 years.
But a 100 % win rate with Oscar :)

Just thinking back to 2013, I think it's probably fair to say that the general consensus around Stef was similar to the current general consensus around Archie for the first half of the season. I can remember a couple of list threads where most had noted Stef for de-listing, and said he clearly wasn't ever going to be AFL standard.

But when Leuey went down, Stef got an extended run in the seniors and has never looked back since. Wonder if this might ultimately prove the same for Archie now - perhaps a slightly idealistic viewpoint, but an interesting comparison nonetheless.

A common thought in this thread, with everyone forgetting the huge year he had as a ruckman for the Demons before we recruited him.

2011 was a breakout year for Martin, as he played the number one ruck role in the absence of the injured Mark Jamar. He played 21 games, mostly in the ruck, he also proved dangerous when moved forward, kicked 10 goals for the season. He averaged 17 disposals, 14 hitouts and 2 tackles per game and ended up finishing 8th in Melbourne's club best and fairest.
from Wikipedia.

Had him in my Supercoach team, and was well pleased.

Steph is a massive loss , both in the long and short term, and I am in agreement with most that Archie just has not shown he has it in him at AFL level - ever.

Last edited:
Totally agree Dylan. I hope Archie can prove all of us wrong, but everything I've seen he's not near AFL standard. McInerney the same. Both create a contest but that's it. They look totally out of place on the field. Gawn is going to dominate this game hugely.

With Steph close to the end we really need to sign a quality ruck , along with a decent key forward.
To say that Oscar is not near AFL standard...are you serious?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back