Preview Round 8: Port Adelaide vs Essendon - Sunday, May 7th 1:10pm - Adelaide Oval

Who will win?

• Essendon

Votes: 18 48.6%
  • Port

Votes: 19 51.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feels like the late play could be Reid sub, Langford forward when Reid goes on.

Hobbs will be challenged to defend like a champ in the absence of Snello. Interested to see how that goes.

Mids need to be switched on from the beginning of the first quarter this time. Cats' jump start last week hurt us and this week the oppo is powered by Rozee, Butters and JHF's pace and ball use, and SPP, Wines and Boak as heavy lifters. Weak spot is Teakle. Hopefully Draper and Phillips haven't been drinking the bathwater again.

No Duursma is fortuitous with Durham out. Who knows what happens on that wing.

I'd say we are significant underdogs going into this. I reckon their team's strengths match up favourably against ours. They will stretch us with key forwards (it really sucks that we've had all our KPD depth injured with significant medium term injuries) and their strength in contested ball could expose us through the midfield.
That said if we were to win this it would really change expectations about this team as a whole.

There are still avenues for us to win. If we start well (which we've been poor at) and if some of our forwards in particular Stringer can really get going then we'll be some kind of a chance. Looking for Merrett to have a big game after a very quiet one last week on return from suspension.
Need a hell of a lot more from Phillips than he's given the last 2 weeks. I was a big fan of his efforts earlier in the season but he's fallen off a cliff.

So, after Ridley went to Hawkins last week, I'd think we're sending him to Dixon and BZT to Marshall, Leaving Finlayson for whom? A combo of Phillips and Draper?

...is it possible Brad flips the script and sends Weideman back and just allows Draper and Phillips to expose Teakle forward?

So, after Ridley went to Hawkins last week, I'd think we're sending him to Dixon and BZT to Marshall, Leaving Finlayson for whom? A combo of Phillips and Draper?

...is it possible Brad flips the script and sends Weideman back and just allows Draper and Phillips to expose Teakle forward?
Its rare that all 4 talls are on ground at same time for port

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You may be right, but Kelly doesn't play 7 or 8cm taller than he is. That's a mismatch and players like Rozee and Butters have the skill to kick for that mark.
7cm is no issue if theres pressure on the ball and its not coming in 60 times a game

Plus were talking this will happen at most 30%

Kelly has performed on bigger types before

Its ot ideal, no. Its not ideal not having the best 22 players in the comp either. Its not hotrendous if things up the field are ok.

7cm is no issue if theres pressure on the ball and its not coming in 60 times a game

Plus were talking this will happen at most 30%

Kelly has performed on bigger types before

Its ot ideal, no. Its not ideal not having the best 22 players in the comp either. Its not hotrendous if things up the field are ok.
So let's go up the ground then. Who are your match-ups?

So Reid was named in the side on the Essendon website?
He was named in the squad on Thursday, but not in the final team on Friday. He is an emergency for the AFL.
And also didnt play vfl?
No one at Essendon has played in the VFL yet this weekend. The VFL game is at the same time as the AFL this afternoon.

He is named in the VFL team, and expected to play.
Also was training in the starting back group on training?
Rumour has it

So let's go up the ground then. Who are your match-ups?
Im more talking pressure and not allowing clean stoppages like last week. Stopping easy transition ect

Does JHF and Boak if onballs brute kill us as we still cant handle it. Mids dont really play on just one player now unless a specific role

Fwiw i reckon theres a change.

Stringer was too good not too be onball and i feel we need Langford forward if Stringer and H.Jones aint there

Im more talking pressure and not allowing clean stoppages like last week. Stopping easy transition ect

Does JHF and Boak if onballs brute kill us as we still cant handle it. Mids dont really play on just one player now unless a specific role

Fwiw i reckon theres a change.

Stringer was too good not too be onball and i feel we need Langford forward if Stringer and H.Jones aint there
Yep, same. Stringer and Setterfield were effective at the CB last week. Hopefully that's a learning from last week because Wines, Boak and SPP will cause us headaches.

He was named in the squad on Thursday, but not in the final team on Friday. He is an emergency for the AFL.

No one at Essendon has played in the VFL yet this weekend. The VFL game is at the same time as the AFL this afternoon.

He is named in the VFL team, and expected to play.

Rumour has it
If he's an emergency, wouldn't he have travelled with the team?
I think the VFL team is playing Werribee...

If he's an emergency, wouldn't he have travelled with the team?
I think the VFL team is playing Werribee...
not all emergencies travel, usually only 1, or 2 now that one is the sub

If there's enough time to get back before the VFL game sometimes they all travel, or if they're going to be rested if they don't play AFL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back