Autopsy Round 8: Sydney vs Kangaroos

Remove this Banner Ad

Actually he didn't lead him to the ball and he pushed him in the back. As for respect I would have a lot more respect for him as a player if he hadn't played in the GF and had retired last year. He shouldn't have been selected to play against North. There is a kid called Dawson he is keeping out of the team. As for hamstring tightness give me a break. He was unfit going into the game and he would have known that. As for our selection committee give me another break.

Apologies as I described the passage of play incorrectly and being probably 100 mtrs away with eyesight on par with Mr Magoo I was wrong how McVeigh went about it. I watched it on replay this afternoon and You were correct in describing it as him being led to the ball which makes his effort all the more meritorious when you consider he was on one leg with more like a grade 1 hamstring tear than just tightness and which ever way you spin it to move his opponent off the ball with the slight push be it back or side then gather the ball and thread the ball from that part of the ground was experience and class.
He didn't exactly push him over the ******* fence and run into an open goal did he ?

As far as you respecting him more if he had not played in the GF and retired how much respect do you have for the blokes that were actually fit GF Day and played like they didn't even get off the bus ?

Don't answer that judging by that I don't think you have any idea what respect is to be honest.

Mids played well , awesome to see

Hayward is a gun

Naismith gotflogged
ATM Hayward looks the better recruit than Florent, which a few posters on this forum postulated during the preseason. Florent is classy but Hayward is HARD at it for a young fellow and knows where the big sticks re.
Naismith still learning and has plenty of upside. Goldy still one of the best and a pretty high bar to set.

Apologies as I described the passage of play incorrectly and being probably 100 mtrs away with eyesight on par with Mr Magoo I was wrong how McVeigh went about it. I watched it on replay this afternoon and You were correct in describing it as him being led to the ball which makes his effort all the more meritorious when you consider he was on one leg with more like a grade 1 hamstring tear than just tightness and which ever way you spin it to move his opponent off the ball with the slight push be it back or side then gather the ball and thread the ball from that part of the ground was experience and class.
He didn't exactly push him over the ******* fence and run into an open goal did he ?

As far as you respecting him more if he had not played in the GF and retired how much respect do you have for the blokes that were actually fit GF Day and played like they didn't even get off the bus ?

Don't answer that judging by that I don't think you have any idea what respect is to be honest.
Its my opinion for what little its worth that the club is trying to get him to 300 games. Why did he of all players with dodgy hamstrings come straight back into the firsts without a pre-season? I respect honesty not the crap that Longmire dealt up at the presser about "tight hamstrings". No one has suggested he had a hamstring "tear". If he had a tight hamstring his bending down to pick up the ball would have been extremely difficult as tight hamstrings usually manifest as back problems. I just don't like club officials insulting our intelligence. Respect is a two way street. Respect our intelligence

ATM Hayward looks the better recruit than Florent, which a few posters on this forum postulated during the preseason. Florent is classy but Hayward is HARD at it for a young fellow and knows where the big sticks re.

Obviously very early in hopefully their long and successful Sydney careers, but watching them one thing that has struck me is the assuredness of Hayward.
Florent looks like he is out there trying to make an impression (and has far from disappointed), but Hayward has that attitude of "I belong".

He has a nice degree of cockiness, allied with the ability to back it up.
The kick to Towers on the weekend encapsulated awareness, decision making and then the skill to execute.

But for me his highlight and indeed that of the match itself was the dummy to JPK which completely wrongfooted the North defender.
Sublime.
And for fear of overstating it, the player that came to mind was Robbie Flower.

Saw nothing of the U18s last year and the view seemed to be that Hayward was a high leaping mid sized fwd who could kick a goal.
May well be all those things and perhaps a bit more.

#lolnorf

Looking better by the week. Except the backline. The backline is not great.
Interesting that we have functioned better with Macca back. I suspect our leadership group is a bit light on for on-field organisation.
In that light I now believe that the superb effort last year had a lot to do with Rampe's organisation. The missing link.

newman gave away two goals but more than made up for it. his disposal was immaculate. just needs to improve his defending a bit.
That defence is critical. That said, I think he probably has more upside than Harry Marsh or Jeremy Laidler. Not knocking those guys but accurate delivery off halfback is also critical. Haven't seen Melican in the flesh yet at senior level. Look forward to it. Really hope that Aliir is sorted as he has ridiculous potential. So maybe a bit of a flat spot but plenty to look forward to (didya geddit?) even without AJ!

The only problem with that is that he has a 800 goal plus forward kicking into the forward 50 from the wing where Sinkers usually drops the mark in the forward fifty. Playing Buddy up the ground to improve our kicking into the forward half has to be the most inane game plan in living memory. To make it worse he has a kid called Dawson in the reserves who has a beautiful long kick who should be playing the firsts who could deliver lace out to Buddy. But his reserves grade coach says he needs more time in the seconds before he gets elevated and then we play a 32 year old on one leg.
I agree re Buddy but I am yet to be convinced about Dawson. Would prefer to play Florent who has already proved he can hit buddy lace out ....

Why not play AA as the spare man/rebound defender and leave Reid forward to alternate with Buddy? Too logical??

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Some overall positives for me..
Nice to have a big win without Buddy kicking a bag or influencing the game.
Reid played well today...Hopefully doesn't doze off again for a month.
Kennedy,Parker and Hanners all firing today
Aliir and Rampe to come back into defence.
Grundy had a decent day down back
Papley is an important cog...he was missed when not there
When the senior players played liked they did today, it lifts the inexperienced blokes, and covers some of their mistakes.
Just love Papley's energy! He's also a damned good mark for his size and so very feisty. Popping up in the midfield to good effect too. Already as good as Benji (except for 2012) with 10 years ahead of him. Potential 250-300 gamer if he can stay fit.

Obviously very early in hopefully their long and successful Sydney careers, but watching them one thing that has struck me is the assuredness of Hayward.
Florent looks like he is out there trying to make an impression (and has far from disappointed), but Hayward has that attitude of "I belong".

He has a nice degree of cockiness, allied with the ability to back it up.
The kick to Towers on the weekend encapsulated awareness, decision making and then the skill to execute.

But for me his highlight and indeed that of the match itself was the dummy to JPK which completely wrongfooted the North defender.
Sublime.
And for fear of overstating it, the player that came to mind was Robbie Flower.

Saw nothing of the U18s last year and the view seemed to be that Hayward was a high leaping mid sized fwd who could kick a goal.
May well be all those things and perhaps a bit more.
Only very limited viewing prior to him going to the Swans but he stood out to me with his awareness & "footy smarts". You can bulk blokes up & can train them to run further for longer or be stronger etc etc.... But you can't teach natural skill & talent. That's what he & Ollie seem to have & what I have always believed we should focus on drafting first & foremost.

Hazy has certainly surprised me & I was one of those expecting him to be a standout rook anyway... He's gone above expectations thus far. Like Paps & Millsy last year, just a fantastic & strong start to his career.

I liked George Hewett's game too. I've always felt like he could be Kennedy 2.0 and this was the first game where that seemed a real possibility. Such a hard nut in the middle and actually composed and clean as well. Plus i didn't know he had pace really but he was moving really well on the outside. Hopefully this will be the start of him taking it to the next level
Never liked him much in the forwards ...
Like him a lot this year.

As you said Goldstein is simply better than Naismith and as a mate pointed out at the game when I said he was getting flogged he is playing against the best ruckman in the comp. He just looked not to be able to keep up with him around the ground and at one stage when Goldstein pushed through the middle of the ground and run hard forward Josh Kennedy was opposed to him. He was also being outpointed in body positioning at throws ins where Goldstein was giving Cunnington silver service. I would not say Sinclair is the better option as a ruck because it is horses for courses but he was athletically better suited and did keep Goldstein honest where Hey Heys Its The Monkeys Mike Naismith was unfortunately trounced.
Truth in what you say but Sinclair is as good as he will ever be but Naismith has a lot of development in him. Tippett is a better forward and ruck and Naismith is a better ruck against most opponents. Sinclair is depth. No shame in that. Will be interesting to see how Cameron develops but I suspect they see him more as a forward and backup ruck.

Its my opinion for what little its worth that the club is trying to get him to 300 games. Why did he of all players with dodgy hamstrings come straight back into the firsts without a pre-season? I respect honesty not the crap that Longmire dealt up at the presser about "tight hamstrings". No one has suggested he had a hamstring "tear". If he had a tight hamstring his bending down to pick up the ball would have been extremely difficult as tight hamstrings usually manifest as back problems. I just don't like club officials insulting our intelligence. Respect is a two way street. Respect our intelligence

Fair enough.

Marsh isn't best 22. An honest toiler but would be around #8 or 9 on the hit parade of defenders. Maibaum will probably overtake him next year too.
Well he's best 22 at the moment. I guess we'll see how long he can hold his spot. There's going to be quite a bit of competition for spots, which is good.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back