Round 8 vs Essendon

Remove this Banner Ad

Aussie Jones had some very interesting comments with regards to this after the game on 774. He was scathing (You could hear it in his voice) about players having their instincts 'coached out of them' and becoming predictable and not allowed to play instinctively at times in response to the fact that they are not at training but on the field with a world of variables offered by the presence of an opposing team.

Yeah I listened to that too and Aussie is a Saints man so you know he just wants what's best for us like the rest of us Saints supporters. The vibe I kept getting from him and the rest of the ABC commentary team was that we were too hesitant going forward and needed to take a few more risks to get it in quickly to Kosi, Gardiner etc one on one so they had a better chance of marking it and Milne/Schneider had a better chance of crumbing it.

Essendon scored most of their goals on a fast break and our goals were like pushing s**t up hill with labourious chip kicking and overuse of handball that inevitably led to a turnover. We need to back ourselves more and get it forward quickly and attack the game. Become the hunter and not the hunted like we have the last couple of weeks.

We dont kick straight we dont win against anyone half decent. Simple as that without Roo.

Obviously don't have much confidence and struggle to score at the moment and when we create great opportunities and dont finish them off it just flattens everyone, especially when they always went down and kicked one. Same with every sport for all levels.

Am I the only one who's not totally depressed about this game.

I thought that Sam Fisher was good in the forward line. No he didn't get a score on the board, but he was looking like a marking target. I don't know if we can do it if Gram and Dawson are both out, but I'd like to see him stay there and get some consistency in the role.

Midfield was much better than last week.

We came bloody close despite being one player down.

Essendon were a player down too and apparently Gram injured himself in the warm up so I don't know why we didn't make a late change. An extra player could have made a difference in the end.

We dont kick straight we dont win against anyone half decent. Simple as that without Roo.

Obviously don't have much confidence and struggle to score at the moment and when we create great opportunities and dont finish them off it just flattens everyone, especially when they always went down and kicked one. Same with every sport for all levels.

Yeah our midfield worked hard and provided enough opportunities up forward but we couldn't convert them. Kosi was inconsistent and Milne and Schnieder were next to useless.

It does deflate the whole team if you aren't putting your hard work on the scoreboard. Essendon on the other hand were pulling goals out of nowhere which helped pump them up.

Yeah I listened to that too and Aussie is a Saints man so you know he just wants what's best for us like the rest of us Saints supporters. The vibe I kept getting from him and the rest of the ABC commentary team was that we were too hesitant going forward and needed to take a few more risks to get it in quickly to Kosi, Gardiner etc one on one so they had a better chance of marking it and Milne/Schneider had a better chance of crumbing it.

Essendon scored most of their goals on a fast break and our goals were like pushing s**t up hill with labourious chip kicking and overuse of handball that inevitably led to a turnover. We need to back ourselves more and get it forward quickly and attack the game. Become the hunter and not the hunted like we have the last couple of weeks.

That is 100% correct. It is so obvious to see that we are breaking down with no consistent runners from CHB. Gram's been playing injured for the last 2 games and we miss his run and carry dearly. Funny I thought thats why we traded for Peake. After last week the coach must have thought Gram wasn't right. Why wasnt Peake brought in? By the way I thought Kosi was better this week. Took a couple ripper marks. He needs to do it more though.

Am I the only one who's not totally depressed about this game.

I thought that Sam Fisher was good in the forward line. No he didn't get a score on the board, but he was looking like a marking target. I don't know if we can do it if Gram and Dawson are both out, but I'd like to see him stay there and get some consistency in the role.

Midfield was much better than last week.

We came bloody close despite being one player down.

They were 1 down too for a fair while.

They were 1 down too for a fair while.

Fair enough.

Essendon's game plan seemed pretty basic to me.
Kick into space and bank on getting to the ball before the StKilda player.
It worked for them this time, but wasn't brilliant, and obviously not a tactic that will allow to win against all teams.

i got told he pulled his hamy in the warm up and as it was too late to change or get fined they decided not to change the team. but it would have been raph that played as stanley and eddy played for sandi on saturday

Yeah the commentators were saying yesterday that Gram injured himself in the warm up so why they didn't replace him I don't know. It meant we were virtually a man short from the start and it could have well been the difference between winning and losing in the end.

Surely avoiding paying a fine wouldn't be the reason for not replacing him. Seems stupid that you would have to pay a fine anyway for a legitimate injury. What's the point in naming emergencies if they fine you for using them?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i got told he pulled his hamy in the warm up and as it was too late to change or get fined they decided not to change the team. but it would have been raph that played as stanley and eddy played for sandi on saturday

And Stanley was in the Endeavour Room downing pots and playing with his phone. But he'll be right, a litle booze wouldn't have stopped him, he'd have torn off that shirt like superman and flown down from the second tier in full attire. :D

Yeah the commentators were saying yesterday that Gram injured himself in the warm up so why they didn't replace him I don't know. It meant we were virtually a man short from the start and it could have well been the difference between winning and losing in the end.

Surely avoiding paying a fine wouldn't be the reason for not replacing him. Seems stupid that you would have to pay a fine anyway for a legitimate injury. What's the point in naming emergencies if they fine you for using them?

Love Grammy, and he'd dominate for my DT over here in Subi if he were fit, so would be interested to know what's actually wrong with him. Surely he doesn't even start the game if he twinged a hamstring the warmup - there'd be too much risk of developing a tear. There's got to be a fair chance your coaching staff have decided not to let on what's really wrong with him, and maybe it's a similar injury to what Dean Cox had last year and Judd in 2007.

Anyone know why both teams were in their away strip? Our home game - I just don't get it.

Not that it really matters but...

It was our home game, they wore their away strip and as it still clashed with our home strip we had to wear ours as well.

Basically it comes down to not forcing clubs like Essendon and Collingwood to have proper alternative strips, the AFL, and having no balls. :)

It was our home game, they wore their away strip and as it still clashed with our home strip we had to wear ours as well.

Basically it comes down to not forcing clubs like Essendon and Collingwood to have proper alternative strips, the AFL, and having no balls. :)
Some one should have the balls, esp. on a Friday night to say we arn't playing in our alternative strip, then the TV networks etc, will complain and maybe something will be done, but this pandering to the so called big clubs has just got to stop.
Sorry Sainter I also own you an apology I was certain we would smash the Dons:mad:

surely that can't be 100% accurate???

he may have pulled up short in the warm up then they thought he's worth the risk as it wasn't too bad. he started the game so maybe he worsened the injury and the risk didn't pay off???

Love Grammy, and he'd dominate for my DT over here in Subi if he were fit, so would be interested to know what's actually wrong with him. Surely he doesn't even start the game if he twinged a hamstring the warmup - there'd be too much risk of developing a tear. There's got to be a fair chance your coaching staff have decided not to let on what's really wrong with him, and maybe it's a similar injury to what Dean Cox had last year and Judd in 2007.

The commentators were saying it was a groin injury initially but then they were saying it was a hamstring strain and he was sitting on the bench with what looked like ice strapped to his hamstring.

He has had groin/hip problems recently though so maybe that flared up again and the hamstring injury was just a cover up. Either way I doubt he'll be playing for a couple of weeks at least.

he may have pulled up short in the warm up then they thought he's worth the risk as it wasn't too bad. he started the game so maybe he worsened the injury and the risk didn't pay off???

One of the commentators said they saw him pull up short in the warm up and was getting work done by the trainers. Maybe they thought it wasn't too serious and he'd get through the game but it seemed pretty obvious early on that he wasn't right.

I know Gram's important to us but it would have made more sense to have played one of the emergencies rather than take the risk of being a man down for most of the game. With the high number of midfield rotations these days, being a man down can quite often be the difference between winning and losing.

And please, when a player is tackled and the controlling umpire gives holding the ball, do not run from 50 metres away and overrule him to say it is too high. If the controlling umpire has an unobstructed view and decides it's holding the ball, it's HIS call. How can you overrule it? Do balding umpires with feminine voices called Steve get priority?

He likes to do that - paid a free to NDS in the 2nd quarter the same way. "Look at me!!"

Some one should have the balls, esp. on a Friday night to say we arn't playing in our alternative strip, then the TV networks etc, will complain and maybe something will be done, but this pandering to the so called big clubs has just got to stop.
Sorry Sainter I also own you an apology I was certain we would smash the Dons:mad:

It's embarrassing that the AFL would approve a jumper that is identical to their current jumper other than a wider sash.

I just can't fathom that a professional organisation like the AFL continually panders to the demands of the bigger clubs on certain issues.

Don't apologise. I had concerns about our team and was proven right but I would have done anything to have been wrong. :(

He likes to do that - paid a free to NDS in the 2nd quarter the same way. "Look at me!!"

Yep. I don't think I've been to a game where the two non-controlling umpires have awarded so many free kicks. Everytime there was a bounce in the centre of the ground you were waiting for one of the other two umpires to blow the whistle.

It's embarrassing that the AFL would approve a jumper that is identical to their current jumper other than a wider sash.

I just can't fathom that a professional organisation like the AFL continually panders to the demands of the bigger clubs on certain issues.

You probably already know, but just thought I'd mention that it's part of Essendon's constitution to wear a black jersey with red sash. As far as I know, the only way we could wear something different is if we had a vote and agreed to change the constitution, or if the AFL forced us to.

Doesn't directly support/oppose anything you said, just thought it was relevant and there might not be people here who know that, and thought I might share :)

Good luck Sainters.

You probably already know, but just thought I'd mention that it's part of Essendon's constitution to wear a black jersey with red sash. As far as I know, the only way we could wear something different is if we had a vote and agreed to change the constitution, or if the AFL forced us to.

Doesn't directly support/oppose anything you said, just thought it was relevant and there might not be people here who know that, and thought I might share :)

Good luck Sainters.

That's fair enough. I don't blame Essendon. My anger is directed fairly and squarely at the AFL for not having the balls to do something about it.

To me it's just the principle of forcing the home team to change their jumper that most frustrates me. If we are away team and there is a colour clash I believe we are obligated to change our own strip.

The stance of Collingwood and Essendon does surprise me though. Your history is your history, regardless of what the colours or design is on the jumper. I find it a bit insecure. We might not be most successful club in world sport but nonetheless I'm immensely proud of our history. How does wearing a different colour or a different design compromise that?

Then again I'm one of those unpatriotic people that want a new Australian flag as well but we won't have that debate on the Saints board. :p

Good luck Sainters.

I dont have a problem with the AFL forcing the issue, any more than if your constitution said they had to take drugs and king hit the opposition.
Its a club, not a country.
Having said that , I'm more concerned with footy than fashion

Final team changes have to be submited half hour before the game(just before warm ups) before this time both sides can briing in any of their emergencies..
If they make a change after this time they will recieve a fine, this is just so the opposite team knows who is playing, so they can adjust their team accordinly for match ups etc

This happened a few weeks ago iirc when the hawks ruckmen was pulled out just before the game after doing his on field warm up, and a runner was brought in.. Brad scott wasnt happy as he had 3 big guys playing , in the end it could have cost them the game..

Remove this Banner Ad

Back