Game Day Round 8: West Coast vs Geelong, 2:40pm @ Ikon Park

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nothing clicked today. Individual talent is better than it’s ever been on our list. I just feel like they’re playing very low percentage footy hoping to capitalise on turnovers and mistakes out the back.

Look so much better with run and carry, with switches. Disappointing, there’s been growth but I feel like they’re stifling just how much is in this group. Young core is very promising, let them have a dip.

Flattering scoreboard given the Cats inaccuracy, but once again can never ever fault the effort. Playing with a handbrake on again.

SMac tremendous under a deluge of pressure, and set up our play of the game attacking the footy hard off half back. Lewis, Swanson fought hard, Hooker tidied it up in the second half.

It seems like a system that doesn’t back in any individual strengths at all but attempts to minimise the collective damage and risk. Not for me.

Let them lose 60-0 with Thomas/Smith running out of the backline or short hit up leads or changes of angles. Dumping it long down the line at any opportunity is not the way forward.

Some improvement, no doubt, and should improve again next season, but the kicking skills are atrocious. 49% the last time I looked at it - can't win games like that.
Also need a tall marking forward and defender to add - we are still undersized.
I hope Western's arm is not too bad - was a wonderful tackle. Shame - yet another injury.

Thoughts.
Roberts frustrating season continues, and I think she is feeling it. Hopefully she doesn't get so frustrated she starts thinking a change of environment might be good for her.
Thomas, has played better, but spent a lot of time on Scott, who is one of the best contested marks, and strongest players in the league. Thomas is probably a couple of years of being able to stand with players like that.
McDonald did well. Scheer with that much supply could have been really damaging.
Bartlett showed again why smart players dont need to touch the ball much to have an impact. But we need better supply to her, Schmidt and Roberts.
Humphries is possibly our neatest user of the ball, but again showed she doesn't get it enough for her good skills to have an impact. Has been the downside of her whole career.
The dependables all played well as per usual. But again, too much down to too few.

I think we can discount this game as an example of Priors game plan, I would bet he was as flummoxed by some of the decisions made by players as the fans.

I was getting frustrated by players just hanging onto the ball until the heat was on, then getting the kick smohtered or touched, and that was before Schmidts complete brain fade, must have happened half a dozen times at least. With a lot of them being free kicks or marks being smothered.

And players getting into space to take a kick, then instead handballing to someone under pressure. Its like we wanted to run up Geelongs tackle count.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Roberts frustrating season continues, and I think she is feeling it. Hopefully she doesn't get so frustrated she starts thinking a change of environment might be good for her.
She is feeling it but I understand she’s very happy at the Nest

Smac probably our best this season, continues to challenge the best forwards in the comp. Was giving up too much space early then adjusted well.

Midfield embarrassed in the stoppages this week. Got very little from Aish Mac, Lewis or Rowley. Fair bit of ball from Swanny and Hooker, but they'll be glad the clanger count isn't listed on the aflw website. Did we move Hooker onto Prespakis in the second half? Seemed to play more midfield than usual.

Know we've decided to settle Thomas into defence this season, but gee I wish we'd give her a run through the mids still. Just has the composure we need in the midfield. Next season I guess.

Good to see Schmidt hit the scoreboard. Hard to judge our fowards this year, but she's been down on output lately I reckon. Roberts having a ton of impact despite lopsided time in fwd half stat each week.

Hopefully Western is just a dislocation, need her in the team!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back