Autopsy Round 9, 2017: Swans vs Saints

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm going to yell at you. WE DO NOT HAVE POOR DEPTH. We had experienced players not performing not poor depth. Another thing is we insist on playing guys that will be delisted at years end like Rose & BJ. There were others who could have come in at the time, Cameron, Towers, Dawson and would have been far better.

On HUAWEI Y560-U23 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Poor depth may be wrong

Unproven/not ready depth more accurate

Completely different to Mitchell, Jones is very much a required player at the Swans and won't be traded. No Melb club that Jones might be interested in going to will have a high enough draft pick to trade for him. He didn't want to go last contract and now he's playing midfield in a flag contender, why would he want to go now?

The Salary Cap has just risen by over $2mill for 2018, no club will have cap problems, including us.

He will get big offers mate

Lets just consider this. We just beat a potential top four side. Form team of comp.Obliterated them. Look at the sides ahead. None should be feared.
The really amazing thing about this season is that absolutely no team is invulnerable. (We sort of went a bit too hard proving that point in Rounds 1-6 of course.) Very difficult to find any teams who are 100% a cut above all the others.

Poor depth may be wrong

Unproven/not ready depth more accurate
I think we were also hampered by bad selection decisions, out of form experienced players and using old game plan. We have some players who are AFL ready but seem to have gone for players who were either too new to be ready or just don't seem to as in Rose, BJ, Foote. Other problems were the lack of form of Towers, Laids, Smithy, Kizza (playing with injury, never play with injury), Hannas, Parks, Joey (up & down form mainly due to no help from other mids), Reg, Tippett.

When you put all that together with the injuries to key players we were hurting. When we gat players back look at how the depth stands up. We had at least three first year players playing in a team with little or no leadership early in the first six matches. Our leaders were missing. They showed a lack of heart, intensity and character in early season which is most uncharacteristic.

Sent from my HUAWEI Y560-U23 using BigFooty.com mobile app

It was a blow to the head , Newnes played no further part in the game , concussion. Didn't you see him lying on the ground not moving ? Newnes didn't turn , got hit flush on the top of his head going for the ball , no malice but I've seen less get suspended. In all fairness though I hope he doesn't get suspended was just one of those things .

Sent via HAL

Then how many weeks for Newnes then as both buttocks of both players hit the head incidently. The main impact was shoulder to body and Newnes came off second best. If Mills had of come off second best would you be thinking how many weeks.

Your comments are clearly biased if you think he got hit flush on the head. Watch again they both turn pause it any you will see two players in almost the exact position and both heads at buttock impact.

mills.jpg

Then how many weeks for Newnes then as both buttocks of both players hit the head incidently. The main impact was shoulder to body and Newnes came off second best. If Mills had of come off second best would you be thinking how many weeks.

Your comments are clearly biased if you think he got hit flush on the head. Watch again they both turn pause it any you will see two players in almost the exact position and both heads at buttock impact.

View attachment 372928
Old mate has had a whinge about this incident in the St Kilda thread as well and isn't getting any traction. Just looking to feel hard done by.

He is playing like a guy who feels like he belongs ....
I will be PO if he gets dropped for Jack.
Don't think they're competing for the same spot. Dean is much more athletically capable than Kieren in the forward line. Personally I think Jack's best asset when fully fit is still his hardness so I'd expect him to be playing significant time as a part of the midfield rotations.

- Still will be an up-hill battle for finals but the most pleasing thing is the brand we're playing is much better. But if we're losing playing this brand and not regressing back to the other rubbish, I think most can live with that.

- Some of the disappointing, revolving door, fringe players have been much better the last month.
Disappointing to see Cunningham injured, yesterday he was finally using his pace in a destructive manner and creating play. There's never been doubt he actually has all the tools to be a good player, should he choose to use them.
Towers still is too slow with his decision making but he's finally getting involved continually in games and giving good effort..he's still probably first to go, but, provided his form holds, it would be disappointing to see him dropped for someone (especially Jack or McVeigh) who hasn't earned selection with strong reserves form.

- Great to see Hannebery back in form...I know he used to go missing occasionally but the last couple years he's been almost Kennedy dependable. Hannebery and Kennedy are the heartbeat of the side..their influence on games is immense when they're on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was down in the rooms, no concussion test required.

Just watched the interview with Richo after the game he said it was concussion as he got hit on the head. So I don't know where you got your info from but the coach would know what he was off the ground for. May play next week if he passes the usual concussion tests.

Sent via HAL

View attachment 372928

That photo sums up the impression I got from the various replays.

Both players bravely attacked the ball not the man. Both turned away from the contact to minimise injury to themselves and their opponent. Both landed contact hip to shoulder.

Newnes just unlucky. Play on. Both should be lauded for playing footy the right way not suspended.

Sorry guys but I think that Newnes come in head first whilst Mills turned early.

At the point of contact Newnes was reasonably straight, but slightly towards their goal, Newnes got spun around, 75-90% turn, so the head to bum shot was several frames later.

Newnes is a fool by leading with his head. Has played 100 games and playing for a free.

Mills is in the same position as Hannebery was a couple of years ago. Perfect example of protection himself but still going hard for the ball.

No charge. Can't or shouldn't charged for stupid play by the other player.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Papley was the epitome of a downhill skier: absent when the game was there to be won, but starred in the final quarter when it was all over. A bit like the last time I saw him, at the MCG in September (minus the positive last quarter).
I disagree with this sentiment entirely. Paps is one of the hardest working blokes off the ball IMO. If anyone deserves plaudits for their attack in the contest, at their opponent & their tireless work off the ball then he'd be up there IMO.

And while I'm at it, getting stuck into the kid for not lighting it up in a final at the G in his first season is pretty poor form too I reckon. Particularly given he wasn't the worst on the day, did more than a few experienced players who did far less than him. Bit of perspective wouldn't go astray...

I was there. Apart from a good patch in the third quarter, he was his usual self: causing turnovers that either led to goals, or needed mopping up by teammates.

Papley was the epitome of a downhill skier: absent when the game was there to be won, but starred in the final quarter when it was all over. A bit like the last time I saw him, at the MCG in September (minus the positive last quarter).

Gee, take any positives out of our 50-point win, or did all the players just plain suck?

Leaving your man is often the right call, when you do it incorrectly you become a lability. Currently Aliir is a liability in defence because his rebounding efforts and disposals have been just as strong as last year
That's the price you pay for a young rebounding defender. It depends on the coach and the game plan what is preferred. An attacking rebounding defender or a play from behind spoiler like Melican. The same sort of call was made last year on Newman. Longmire went for a defensive small midfielder in Foote. Genius call. Personally I couldn't give a rats arse whether he is played by Longmire or not. I do care about him as a person. If we don't want his obvious talents he can play 12 months in the NEAFL and he will be snapped by clubs that do recognise his talents. With his size, speed and skill he will be a 500 - 600k contract player in 2019. His kind of KPD's are rare and sought after. Personally I hope the kid does as well as he can for himself and his family. I am biased in that way.

It was a blow to the head , Newnes played no further part in the game , concussion. Didn't you see him lying on the ground not moving ? Newnes didn't turn , got hit flush on the top of his head going for the ball , no malice but I've seen less get suspended. In all fairness though I hope he doesn't get suspended was just one of those things .

Sent via HAL
Its a contact sport, players are going to get hurt from time to time. Excellent play by both youngsters

Although melican is holding his own, aliir brings alot more to the table, he is more versitile and far more attacking. Yet to really see a player thoroughly beat aliir, its his own personal mistakes that cost him. He needs to be in the team to learn and mature as a player
Good post.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back