Review Round 9, 2024: Box Hill Hawks v Brisbane Lions, 25 May 2024, 1.05pm @ Box Hill City Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

Bris 108 to BH 35. Many words to describe that performance but I’ll refrain. I did only watch the second half so I would defer to the reports of others for a complete picture. Please no repeat tomorrow.

Ward: our best player but that isn’t saying much. Aside from a terribly soft 5 minutes he was solid throughout.
Morrison: wins a decent amount of the footy but lacks impact.
Wingard: decent hit out for Chad stats wise, but reflecting the team I thought he wasn’t clean and a bit lethargic.
Hust: When his production goes up, he’ll be a good player. Lack of leg speed was noticeable today.
Reeves: beaten in the ruck by Fort. Ground ball game was decent.
DGB: losing aerial contests to Jarrod Lyons is not a good sign.
Tucker: first disposal was 29 minutes into the fourth.
Serong: must have been injured or withdrawn as I didn't see him out there.
Finn: bit of a nothing game. Wasn’t terrible but nothing noteworthy.
Ramma: a below average game but I cannot stress enough how bad the delivery to him was.
Ryan: does some really good things. Another 2/3 seasons and I think he’ll be a player.
BMac: really stands out with his runs, and was one of the few really taking it on in the second half. Didn’t amount to much though.
Bennetts: really crafty but lacks polish. I do rate him as a linking small.

If DGB doesn't improve substantially in the remainder of the season I can see the club offloading him for whatever they can get.

On his current output we will be delisting him. No club would offer us anything. Might need to go to the WAFL and show something to get another AFL contract

If DGB doesn't improve substantially in the remainder of the season I can see the club offloading him for whatever they can get.
Two slabs of Emu Bitter and a complimentary ferry to Rottnest seems about right.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hey TheFourPillars Maybe the team thought the game was tomorrow too 🤔
It looked like they had come out cold after the bye was hoping they would snap out of it after after half time but no such luck. Serong getting injured early killed our structure because wood had to play back. We then had two ruckman playing in the forward line for large periods.

Bodie was great in defence. He was probably best on for us. Ward had quite a few moments from that game he wouldnt like to review. Still he tried really hard and was one of our best. Our goal kicking basically kicked us out of the game and then the scoreboard pressure took its toll. Its the first game where porter had his colours lowered. All in all a crap day where we just played really poorly. It was a perfect day football no wind to speak off.

It looked like they had come out cold after the bye was hoping they would snap out of it after after half time but no such luck. Serong getting injured early killed our structure because wood had to play back. We then had two ruckman playing in the forward line for large periods.

Bodie was great in defence. He was probably best on for us. Ward had quite a few moments from that game he wouldnt like to review. Still he tried really hard and was one of our best. Our goal kicking basically kicked us out of the game and then the scoreboard pressure took its toll. Its the first game where porter had his colours lowered. All in all a crap day where we just played really poorly. It was a perfect day football no wind to speak off.
Thanks for the write up 👍

Thanks for the write up 👍
Yeah not much to write about. Chad kicked two and played out the game. I thought bennets had some really good defensive efforts. The opposition were well structured and were just too good for us once Serong went down. I think we got absolutely spanked in the clearances and contested although i havent checked the stats. I know wardy got the ladt center clearance streaming out of the middle of the ground.

Last edited:
Great mark and goal by Wingard in the last. Would have liked to seen him thrown in the middle for some touch. Four games for BH, he is now ready for a call up. Only saw the second half, but Morrison also looked good, with composed and measured passes. Would have been good if he was played more up the field, as his delivery is what the forward line needed.

Last edited:
Bris 108 to BH 35. Many words to describe that performance but I’ll refrain. I did only watch the second half so I would defer to the reports of others for a complete picture. Please no repeat tomorrow.

Ward: our best player but that isn’t saying much. Aside from a terribly soft 5 minutes he was solid throughout.
Morrison: wins a decent amount of the footy but lacks impact.
Wingard: decent hit out for Chad stats wise, but reflecting the team I thought he wasn’t clean and a bit lethargic.
Hust: When his production goes up, he’ll be a good player. Lack of leg speed was noticeable today.
Reeves: beaten in the ruck by Fort. Ground ball game was decent.
DGB: losing aerial contests to Jarrod Lyons is not a good sign.
Tucker: first disposal was 29 minutes into the fourth.
Serong: must have been injured or withdrawn as I didn't see him out there.
Finn: bit of a nothing game. Wasn’t terrible but nothing noteworthy.
Ramma: a below average game but I cannot stress enough how bad the delivery to him was.
Ryan: does some really good things. Another 2/3 seasons and I think he’ll be a player.
BMac: really stands out with his runs, and was one of the few really taking it on in the second half. Didn’t amount to much though.
Bennetts: really crafty but lacks polish. I do rate him as a linking small.
Hmm. Fair few players here are not spanking brand new players at Hawthorn….anyway - just one game

I reckon nearly all (but not all) out there today won't be on the list in a couple of years time. And it shows. Not much to get excited about. Still have hope for O'Sullivan.

Hey TheFourPillars Maybe the team thought the game was tomorrow too 🤔
T4P probably wished the clash of games wasn’t changed given such a poor performance. At least I was able to enjoy a walk along Patong Beach after watching the debacle.
Interesting to see Max Hall didn’t play. The influence he has had on the team’s performance this year should enhance his chances of having his named called out in Wednesday’s MSD. Good luck Maxy.

it is no fault of DGB's that he was drafted so high. I feel sorry for the bloke, undue pressure, realistically a 50-70th pick, in a draft hard to judge because of Covid. Horrible work by the Hawks.
Sorry to say, but he is absolutely nowhere near it, in both body and mind. Hawks might give him another year in hope, but I'd say that is a pretty forlorn one. If a miracle occurs and Fro or WCE offer a third round pick, you'd grab it a run away as fast as you could.
Watching yesterday, you clearly can see that the cupboard is bare beyond the top 26. Real worry, especially when you consider that non-Hawks listed players have, to a large extent, kept the side afloat and winning.

it is no fault of DGB's that he was drafted so high. I feel sorry for the bloke, undue pressure, realistically a 50-70th pick, in a draft hard to judge because of Covid. Horrible work by the Hawks.
Sorry to say, but he is absolutely nowhere near it, in both body and mind. Hawks might give him another year in hope, but I'd say that is a pretty forlorn one. If a miracle occurs and Fro or WCE offer a third round pick, you'd grab it a run away as fast as you could.
Watching yesterday, you clearly can see that the cupboard is bare beyond the top 26. Real worry, especially when you consider that non-Hawks listed players have, to a large extent, kept the side afloat and winning.

Yes it's come to the point with DGB that we stop putting him through this. He is only the second player in 40 years as a supporter that I've called time on. I'm a big fan of supporting our players, but there is also a point where everyone can see it is over.

I'm more positive about some of our other players. Josh Bennetts for instance, played 26 games for Box Hill now, averaging 14 disposals (18 this year), around 2 tackles and a goal a game. Needs to be a bit more reliable with the ball, and then it’s a matter of translating what he does at Box Hill to the AFL team. His offensive development has reminded me a lot of Luke B. His defensive work has been solid, but not Luke’s level.

There is a handful of others, and while not in the majority with this view, I think Chad has years left as a forward, probably not a midfielder unless it’s on the wing.

Yes, time for a refresh at the end of the year, as always, but it’s definitely not doom and gloom looking at our developing players.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back