Autopsy Round 9, 2024: Hawthorn v St.Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not under Lyon. Has us playing like a panicked mess.

Honestly the worst football I've seen us play in decades. They are unwatchable. Apart from Henry's mark and Nas stepping around a few Hawks there was nothing to get excited about. Nearly every player has gone backwards this year apart from Hill.

Watch us pick a slow HBF with pick 3 next year even though we need mids and let Collard walk and lose Gresham's compensation and have to take Rory Lobb on $12 million a season to use up cap space.

Just watching the Essendon Giants clash... It's like a different game. The skill levels are way beyond what was on show from the Hawks & Saints.

We sometimes completely dominate our opposition on the field but lose ground on the scoreboard. The 3rd quarter was like that today. Our forward line is been awful for years, certainly long enough to identify the problems & fix them... but we are going backwards.

We have a handful of players that wouldn't get a run in any other team but apparently we don't have the talent to replace them...

Totally agree we are playing a midfield that is the worst in the comp and the coaches keep going to the same players eg Seb Ross. Far too many players who cant win a contest and then we have players who are being mismanaged and are going backwards. It seems every week we have 2 or 3 complete howlers in front of goals and our forwards line is the worst in the competition.

Some might say we have to go backwards to go forwards, but ATM we arent playing like a team who believes they can or desparately wants to win games.

Today we saw a dispirited group who thought they would get away with a half baked effort and they got the result they deserved. If we are blatantly honest with respect to consistent footballing effort not much has changed with this group under Lyon than the previous coaches.

we are a great fantasy football team,i can say that for us,7 players tonned up(4 4 3 3 2 2 players in first 3 games)vs 3,marshall 40 points better than the first hawk,10 v 5 got 80 plus,8 v 5 20 posessions plus,2 v 0 double figure tackles,marshall 23 contested and 12 clearances,my imports naicos(C) anderson mccluggage lukosius and rayner will get this st.kilda team home to 8-1,over whitfield ainsworth and laird

but ffs how can we turn getting the ball into winning the game?maybe its better if RTB says,we are kicking that way,just go for goal,keep it simple,try something,let the players figure it out,stop confusing them with game plans,back your ability and smarts,score,win=the gameplan

St Kilda
steve h.
Live
Melbourne
Wayne M.

Yet to play 05

Yet to play 03
You just hurt my brain

Zero tackles

Lazy and sits behind packs and refuses to use that supposed athleticism he seemingly possess to continually be on the hunt for a lead and/or disrupt his defenders.

Still plays like a junior and refuses to do the work without ball in hand.

There is some vision of him letting his player rum off him...just stopped chasing. Ross should show it to him and explain to him its why he'll be playing at Sandy.

Zero Tackles.

Membrey had zero tackles too and did less than king does he stay in?
Also you want to drop king but you don’t want to play kids. Is there an experienced star forward at sandy ready to step up and be a spearhead in the most boring team in the comp?

He'd be a star in a team with the foot skills to hit a player inside 50.

Nah, he's a dumb player, he runs towards defenders. Honestly think he might be below average now. He's got no game sense. He'll do just enough to look okay and give hope but he's not a star.

Membrey had zero tackles too and did less than king does he stay in?
Also you want to drop king but you don’t want to play kids. Is there an experienced star forward at sandy ready to step up and be a spearhead in the most boring team in the comp?
Yep and Hastie had Zero tackles but he has an excuse.

At this point I'd say bring Sharman in for King

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't disagree he's out best forward targeting...that's what I find hilarious, like how St kilda. He's a spud in any other team.

So, when he goes back to Sandy and monsters semi amateurs and kicks 5 goals, what’s your plan B then Cairsman? I just don’t see how this benefits anyone.

Others are absolutely right, not necessarily King’s role to bring the heat, should be judged on what he’s expected to do, that said there’s clearly things he needs to improve. You don’t have to be a Nobel prize winner to identify he’s not playing to a level everyone expects.

The volume of posts on rinse and repeat about King is probably a meak and abject indicator in itself. There’s bias and then there’s just intolerable and suffocating bias.

Looking at that game, you see a young well-drilled disciplined team in Hawthorn, compared to a lumbering bunch of guys running around at half pace looking like a VFL team in the Saints. That was rubbish which Lyon served up today, as it was in a few other games this season.

System too. They know when to block and to move, they kick into space ahead of the player for them to run on to. We are so embarrassingly bad at everything but chaotic pressure. We turn sides that are better than us into us and occasionally beat them but we are not getting any better playing like it's 2009.

It’s taken me 62 years but I’m taking pre season chatter with a huge grain of salt next year.

Fool me once shame on you, fool me 62 times....I can't remember the rest of it.

Anyway I’ll make my way out to Docklands in the freezing cold next Saturday night like a saints fan does 😍

Anyone bagging the coach’s have rocks in their head, we rebuilding that’s why Ross was brought in, that review we done 2 years ago it was said we don’t have the players or the footy department. Now the department has had a full turn over now it’s the players turn. Buckle up lads

Lethlean did a review, Trout did a review, Watters probably did too. They are like royal commissions. They are just a stalling technique.

We are probably a bad start to 2025 off a full bottom out rebuild again.

Hawks have been playing attacking footy style for 2 years now and get opened up grom time to time but at least when it works for them its enjoyable to watch. Our wins are boring and our losses are excrutiating. Players dont seem to enjoy themselves. Supporters are hating the low scoring which gives us close losses . So what!
It keeps low young sides in it. Weve been worked out now and we literally play teams into form. SO GODDAMN BORING!!,

System too. They know when to block and to move, they kick into space ahead of the player for them to run on to. We are so embarrassingly bad at everything but chaotic pressure. We turn sides that are better than us into us and occasionally beat them but we are not getting any better playing like it's 2009.

To be fair, I think Lyon has had to pivot and accentuate the game style this year knowing we just don’t have the polish to really compete and sometimes it’s better to at least hang in there.

I just can’t see this improving until more polish is padded out across the guts and up forward. Some players gaining form might help as it really is inches and miles across the league, but won’t really resolve for another 2-3 years until young core develops and more talent can be added into the list from the draft and potentially FA.

There’s no quick fix, we’ve already tried bringing in mature age talent to no avail and I don’t think the footy dept can polish a fresh turd any longer nor does performing over expectations and competing mid table help our draft hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back