Autopsy Round 9, 2024: Hawthorn v St.Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So now we’re back to trying to win and make finals this year…

Surely you can see the issue here.

One minute it’s a full 5 year rebuild, then it’s a remodel then it’s get the mojo back and we’re good.

It’s exactly my point, we’re rudderless. I hope Ross has a plan but I can’t see it and most people here are so desperate for a savior they’ll think him pissing in their face is him predicting the weather.
He has outlined the plan repeatedly- you might disagree which is fair - play as many kids as we can but try & win as many games as we can every week - no tanking - and keep going to the draft trying to get more Wilson quality.

One minute it’s a full 5 year rebuild, then it’s a remodel then it’s get the mojo back and we’re good.

It’s exactly my point, we’re rudderless. I hope Ross has a plan but I can’t see it and most people here are so desperate for a savior they’ll think him pissing in their face is him predicting the weather.
So you would prefer we tank and lose by 100 each week?

We're treading a tightrope.
But on a tightrope, you need to know what direction you're headed.

It's about balance.
We need enough experience that we aren't dog sh*t and we're attractive and competitive-ish (the North Melbourne rule).

But if we're not competing, which we're not, we need to shed experience to gain young talent at a considered rate.

Older players which contribute and have limited/no trade value need to stay: Ross, Hill, Wood.

Younger older players with talent and value need to be considered for trade at the right price, and not all at once: Sinclair, Steele, Marshall, Membrey*

Talented youth to kept at all costs.

We were beaten by a team that kicked 8 goals.

(And last quarter Max marked that)
While that's horrific, it is also a sign that the defensive side of our game is at least working.

We are doing something right so not everything needs thrown out. We at least have something to fall back on while we (hopefully) try to do something to make the front half competitive.

Im gong to say this again but please form the lock of * change up the midfield you campaigner. Ross calls it a spluttering midfield for 12 months now! Windy, Dow, Steele, Owens and Hunter.

Deep down I know when the sides are released on Thursday it’s the same s**t
Fair enough - & I’ve missed a few - but the last few weeks our midfield has featured - Steele, Sinclair, Windhager, Ross, Owens, Jones , Pou & Garcia.

No doubt Dow & Henry will get a go soon - maybe he is trying everyone & we haven’t got the talent?
Im gong to say this again but please form the lock of * change up the midfield you campaigner. Ross calls it a spluttering midfield for 12 months now! Windy, Dow, Steele, Owens and Hunter.

Deep down I know when the sides are released on Thursday it’s the same s**t

He has outlined the plan repeatedly- you might disagree which is fair - play as many kids as we can but try & win as many games as we can every week - no tanking - and keep going to the draft trying to get more Wilson quality.
That's an important point. Whether or not we agree with it, we are actually doing exactly what we have been forecasting publicly. So that shouldn't be a surprise to any supporter if they have been listening to the statements made by the club.

What difference would it make?

We’re losing to a team 4th last and kicking 7 goals doing so.

We’re unwatchable and losing so who cares?
The difference is massive. Most people go to the football in the hope of seeing a win, it's a week to week past time. To go along and see your team lose by 10 goals each week is very depressing and many fans will just stop going.

Aside from that how do you think it is to play in a side that loses by 10 goals each week? How are North going at retaining players?

We are competitive nearly every week, yes it sucks to lose but as BrutThough said if we are playing badly and only losing narrowly then there is an upside. Remember the end of 2007, also 1996, we got going later in the year and that led to success the following year.

The idea of tanking is just utterly ridiculous. I mean imagine explaining it to the players "Yeah guys seasons cooked after that Hawks game so we are throwing in the towel, playing the kids from now on, Sincs enjoy the rest mate you too Roma see ya next year"

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So you'd rather we be uncompetitive each week over giving ourselves a chance to win and our young players a chance to impact big moments of games?
******* stretch to say we’re competitive and giving anyone a chance to impact anything tbh.

******* stretch to say we’re competitive and giving anyone a chance to impact anything tbh.
If a correct umpiring decision would have given you a chance to hit the front in the last minute of the game, then it's probably more accurate to say we were competitive and there were moments throughout the last quarter where younger players could impact the result.

The difference is massive. Most people go to the football in the hope of seeing a win, it's a week to week past time. To go along and see your team lose by 10 goals each week is very depressing and many fans will just stop going.

Aside from that how do you think it is to play in a side that loses by 10 goals each week? How are North going at retaining players?

We are competitive nearly every week, yes it sucks to lose but as BrutThough said if we are playing badly and only losing narrowly then there is an upside. Remember the end of 2007, also 1996, we got going later in the year and that led to success the following year.

The idea of tanking is just utterly ridiculous. I mean imagine explaining it to the players "Yeah guys seasons cooked after that Hawks game so we are throwing in the towel, playing the kids from now on, Sincs enjoy the rest mate you too Roma see ya next year"
Exactly.

How much do you think the young players out there for Richmond tonight are getting out of this 100 point thumping? Do you think watching the Dogs players handball or seeing the ball sail over their head is helping them become better players? Why would we want that for our players?

Someone like Darcy got a hell of a lot more out of the game being live in the last 3 minutes of our match - even if we weren't perfect and the result didn't go our way - than anyone out there for Richmond is getting tonight. The setting up of the field, gut running to be an option, the repeat stoppages, the feeling of executing under real pressure. Those are all things you only get better at by actually experiencing them in games.

FMD. We had more disposals, more marks, more marks inside 50, more contested and uncontested possessions, more clearances, more inside 50s, more tackles and even with our poor I50 efficiency, you usually don't lose when that happens. But what can I say other than, "We are StKilda!"

If a correct umpiring decision would have given you a chance to hit the front in the last minute of the game, then it's probably more accurate to say we were competitive and there were moments throughout the last quarter where younger players could impact the result.
If you’re talking about the King call watching the second angle of it I reckon the umpire made the right call, he should have marked it.

In any event we never should have needed a contested mark and boundary goal in the final minute to beat a team 4th last.

I’m glad you’ve got the optimism that this hybrid rebuild will work. I don’t.

What's the point of having a war chest and letting young guns go? This guy is a rare jet that we've developed, literally ask his Manager what he wants and give him it.

Our bargaining power is low and we need the good ones we already have. It's a no brainer.

Only way you let him go is if he is receiving an extreme FA offer that gets us a Top 5 pick. Even then not an easy call.
Was his baby a boy or girl and how many games has he played for the club. Just asking…

FMD. We had more disposals, more marks, more marks inside 50, more contested and uncontested possessions, more clearances, more inside 50s, more tackles and even with our poor I50 efficiency, you usually don't lose when that happens. But what can I say other than, "We are StKilda!"
Yeah we controlled the game for vast periods but could not score. concerning. Still, it’s not like we deserved to win.

If you’re talking about the King call watching the second angle of it I reckon the umpire made the right call, he should have marked it.

In any event we never should have needed a contested mark and boundary goal in the final minute to beat a team 4th last.

I’m glad you’ve got the optimism that this hybrid rebuild will work. I don’t.
In an ideal world, of course we dont want that to be the situation we are in to win the game. But thats what it was in reality and it means we were still a chance to win the game despite playing so poorly.

I don't know if this type of rebuild will work but what I do know is sitting and watching a team be belted by 100 point every week does nothing for the club, the players or the supporters. I dont know why anyone would willingly wish for us to put ourselves in that situation but here we are.

In an ideal world, of course we dont want that to be the situation we are in to win the game. But thats what it was in reality and it means we were still a chance to win the game despite playing so poorly.

I don't know if this type of rebuild will work but what I do know is sitting and watching a team be belted by 100 point every week does nothing for the club, the players or the supporters. I dont know why anyone would willingly wish for us to put ourselves in that situation but here we are.
I’d rather a clear direction. North is at least clear in what its path is. We’re absolutely not imo. Half in rebuild, half in trying to play finals this year. Usually winds up with a poor outcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back