Autopsy Round 9, 2024: Hawthorn v St.Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agreed.

Puts us in a pretty bad place considering we don't have the skills to play a low pressure brand.

We seem alright coming off half back from a turn over situation but from stoppages and forward of centre we're trash.

Our defense coach is a Geelong guy, the rest are StKilda'd.

getting rid of gresh really say that Ross thinks we are miles off it. That and letting billings and Coff go said the same. I think he expected us to go backward this year but not at this rate. No one be fooled, we are in a rebuild
Yes Nas , Owens and Pou all went backwards this season. Nas only slightly though. The other two more cliff like.

Owens started this year in form good enough to be rated in the Top 5 players in the competition.

This year has been so do at best and his goal kicking set shots dreadful.

Crouch a huge loss for mine as he was our best mid last season and our midfield is poor.

King out of form and often injured or suspended.

Suspensions also high for us as seem to be the only club that the AFLs new head contact stance applies to.

Good or bad team play is contagious. We are in the Bad Form Flu at the moment, and that means even more bad form as players start missing even more passes and run to more bad spots and miss gettable goals. Vital mistakes then cost us the close games.

We just do not have enough elites and good onfield leaders to fire up the rest of the team at present.

Mate I have no idea what your trying to achieve here bringing up some accusations that happened 6 years ago that has nothing to do with us, u obviously have some issues with Lyon, u better go support another team as u got him for least 3 more years

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That was Richo's downfall too. Bevo is the opposite where he's a player empowerment coach. It doesn't always work but at least when they get it right it's fun to watch. I can't even say watching our wins has been enjoyable under Lyon. Usually it's just a painful grind and then fall over the line under pressure. No pretty skills, no exciting piling on of goals etc.

I was a fan of Lyon back because we were on a road to nowhere, now we are on a path but it looks like a ticket on a bus to Gaza.
Geezus mate you jump off abd on quick
Find a path mate ffs

If injury hadn't hit in Ratt's last season, we probably would have scraped into the final 8 again and there would have been nothing much to complain about. There was no need to sack him TBH and I reckon he probably worked better with the young kids than Lyon who is not a development kind of coach- he does his best on a list which is already showing good signs.
What a history re-write
The guy was telling the Board “we are in the window”
Bassatt had enough - thank fck
Ratten did same at Carlton ….sneak forward footy …cheap goals over the back …hit found out zero defensive efforts
We were getting hammered in his last year for a reason
He’s a nice guy
Avg coach long term
Let’s not pretend in hindsight he didn’t have a chance …he had plenty
It’s yr 2 for Lyon - suggest you buckle up

You can't just play 22 kids.
They won't learn anything getting flogged every week. We've seen teams try that.
Yes including GWS who had bucket loads of early picks, and it took them to last season to start playing like good football team.

Im gong to say this again but please form the lock of heck change up the midfield you campaigner. Ross calls it a spluttering midfield for 12 months now! Windy, Dow, Steele, Owens and Hunter.

Deep down I know when the sides are released on Thursday it’s the same s**t
Though with our injuries we had little choice.

Crouch was our best mid last year.

Dow, Hunter both injured too. Plus Henry.

It is only now that we are getting some options and still no Crouch. So over the next few weeks it should get mixed up more.

Bring in Pou people cry. He was poor as a mid this year.

Bring in Owens...
..with his poor form I doubt he would impact there. Certainly his kicking will not be lace out to our towards if he does win it.

Sincs has been used, but that costs our back half general.

Our midfield has been a problem since we were last a contender.

Lethlean's rumoured captain's call over our recruiter of Rozee over King is looking more and more like the wrong decision. McCartin over Petracca, Ball over Judd.

For those who want to hate on Ross answer me this

Would we be winning the flag with Fly or Voss or Hinkley or Longmire at the helm? If you think that they’d be any better than Ross is now you’ve got rocks in your head.

The list has massive holes in critical areas of the field and unfortunately its showing this year now that we’ve lost our glacier boys in Steele Crouch Ross Marshall attending every centre bounce

We might not be winning the flag, but we'd sure as hell be scoring more goals and playing a more aesthetically pleasing brand of football.

It's torturous watching us.

I agree with the sentiment of playing too many kids but GWS did make a Grand Final in 2019. And finished top four in 2016 and 2017.
Yes but are a better team now. Back then they were mainly just relying on individual raw talent to win. Now they still have the raw talent, but are also much more team first.

Yes Nas , Owens and Pou all went backwards this season. Nas only slightly though. The other two more cliff like.

Owens started this year in form good enough to be rated in the Top 5 players in the competition.

This year has been so do at best and his goal kicking set shots dreadful.

Crouch a huge loss for mine as he was our best mid last season and our midfield is poor.

King out of form and often injured or suspended.

Suspensions also high for us as seem to be the only club that the AFLs new head contact stance applies to.

Good or bad team play is contagious. We are in the Bad Form Flu at the moment, and that means even more bad form as players start missing even more passes and run to more bad spots and miss gettable goals. Vital mistakes then cost us the close games.

We just do not have enough elites and good onfield leaders to fire up the rest of the team at present.
If your looking at guys going backwards have to look at guys going forwards too

Imo-

Battle
Windhager
Henry (although limited exposure)
Hill (arguably)
NAS imo has gotten better

And on the other side of it when an opponent handballs it we have multiple players go to the reciever leaving free players as options.

Classic example. Newcombe, centre wing, handballs back to a team mate. Two Saints rush to that player leaving Newcombe by himself, goal side, to get the easy handball back and a clear run to kick inside 50.

That's the worst example but it happens all the time. We are playing hard but not smart. Players need to be aware of who their opponent is and if they are likely to recieve the ball, stay with them, especially if there is someone applying pressure already.

Obviously because of the pace of the game there will be times where more than one person applying pressure is understandable. I guess the times where it seems more avoidable is outside of stoppages where players can make that decision of staying on their opponent if that makes sense.
This is really important
When many are whingeing about Lyons game plan ….no one mentions the breathtaking lack of footy IQ our players have. This happens weekly - multiple rush to ya ole leaving an oppo players outside to receive a handball and they clear. It’s just dumb - zero to do with game plan. It’s like fumbles …dropped chest marks …backward handballs …can’t kick to advantage….none of that is game plan….thats sub standard footballers. Many of them are our “leaders”
Someone asked earlier why Lyon persisted with Hastie …..why do you reckon ????
He knows this list has gaping holes and he has to play kids …no quick fix here let’s stop pretending game plan tweaks gonna turn us into Sydney …..we lack class
Pray sone of our kids aren’t tainted by the older rotten core…

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back