Autopsy Round 9, 2024: Positives and Negatives vs Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Thought Witho was enormous . One of few players to back himself and go hard.
Dewar showed signs.
Harvey showed real poise. No doubt this kid has the goods . Please persevere with him.
— Hunt squibbed out in the first quarter in a front o contest.Set the tone.
- BW needs to come from a long run up and launch knee first into these logs of ruckman who just stand still and block.Why try and wrestle with somebody a lot bigger than you?
-Our mids stand still. No movement , no charging in and trying to read the drop of the ball .
-TK? Mate move!!!!!
- God I hate TB having the ball in hand in defence. He is so slow to move.For goodness sake if there is nobody for 30m in front of you ; why stand still??
-Maric; in good positions but doesn’t use his body.
- Rotham the invisible man.
-We we’re off from the first bounce.Zero aggression!
-Why not put Ryan in the guts? And TK forward.We get extra pace and a great kick.
-Why not try Gov in the ruck? Blah blah best backman blah blah.Maybe with him in the middle the ball wouldn’t be hurtling into our defence at speed. BW at FF and we look more attacking.
- I thought our coaching was very very slow to react!
-Simmo didn’t have a player front and centre for three quarters.Three players flying for marks and nobody at their feet.You expect it to happen sometimes but Everytime??
-Simmo should investigate this revolutionary new concept called shepherding.Available to anyone; used by no one !

We haven't had a good run with our indigenous boy of late .
Ryan crashed his car and left it just like brockman .
Jones DUI
Winder headbutts a tourist maggot on an afl trip
Cameron went AWOL
And then the whole willy saga .
Sampi
Jarrod Cameron

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Gee I’m beginning to worry about Ginbey.
Mate you need to hurtle into some tackles, doesn’t matter if you miss or give away a free.
You plod after and try to corall.
Slow decision making and poor execution
Needs to be played off hb.Can use his speed and power to run in one direction.

Total lack of leadership in the middle, coupled with a ruck who is too undersized to be competitve and you really have no hope.

Will always love sheed for his back end to 2018 and of course slotting the winner at the big dance, but im at the point if i never see him again in the seniors, it would be a good thing. Realize he is under contract for 2025, but id be having a hard think about letting him go at the end of 2024 and just copping the cap hit. modern footy and sheed aint a match.

Even missing most of their starting forwards and then the main replacement gun going out in the 1st made no difference, I thought it would. Just goes to show system wins out.

Most of the individual performances, Good and bad, have been covered but my glaring takeaway from that game is this,
When Pies had the ball in defense and mid they streamed forward. The passed the ball FORWARD. Even when they went sideways it was from someone running FORWARD passing to someone else running FORWARD.
In contrast too often we got the ball in defense and midfield, stopped, propped, passed to someone else stopped and propped. When we go sideways and BACKWARD it also is to a stationary player.
I thought we were getting away from this crap, nahhhhh.

This is why I still think JJ is worth another Crack. He takes it on, he runs, he has a hecking go.

Couple of positives

Dewar looked like he belonged. Very clean, nice skills.
Whopper also did some nice things, has a nice step to him.
Ryan played into a bit of form late. Was a spectator early. I wonder if it was a bit of a mindset thing. It almost seemed to click when he stopped with the negative body language. Most have had a pep talk from a coach

Reid showed us a bit more of his kicking skills and a couple of his passes were 50 meter lasers. I hadn’t really been able to assess his kicking accuracy in the past but I thought today he made a couple of passes that were sublime

Positives- Tyrell Dewar didn’t look out of place at the level. Something to work with there for sure.

Witherden was exceptional today. Not normally a fan but you’ve gotta acknowledge a good performance like that when you see one.

Chesser still low possession numbers but looked a lot more involved today. Was surprised he had less disposals compared LEdwards. Looks like a far more impactful player. I can’t for the life of me work out what role LEdwards is doing which seems to have the MC so enamoured with him. A HFF with no leg speed and poor defensive pressure that stagnates ball movement? Just seems like a footballer with a very low ceiling to me. EDIT - pointy end of the Telstra Tracker in certain categories again for LEdwards; doesn’t equate to a quality performance though for mine.

Fought it out, particularly the second half, whereas last year that would have been a 100pt plus disaster show.

Ryan was horribly lazy in the first half but hopefully took some confidence out of his much improved second half.

Negatives - the inconsistency in the umpiring. We were never going to get near the Pies but gee whiz it wasn’t made any easier when there seemed to be two sets of rules.

The draw that we’ve had so far this season for a team that finished 18th last year, and was recognised as being historically bad, is just atrocious. Both in terms of teams played and days break off travel relative to the opposition. Norf not until Round 13 and Hawks not until Round 16.

Midfield lacks any grunt and ball winning ability outside of Yeo. Again the defenders were our top ball winners. Yes it was living in the Pies forward 50 but how about winning it at the coal face?

Sheed in the Gaff category of being absolutely cooked at AFL level. Problem is his contract doesn’t expire this year compared to the latter.

I would bring Culley into the team as he looks to be building form in WAFL .
He may not be quite as talented as Maric but I think he’s a better high mark and that would have been handy today.
And by the way Cripps put in some hard yards today.

Isn’t tripping just a fine anyway? Clear as day but will never (and don’t think he even can?) get suspended for it. Easy fine, into the AFL Christmas party fund.

I thought you could get a suspension depending on the severity but perhaps that's changed.

Wasn't the only player in that sequence to throw out a leg trying to trip one of ours if you watch it back.

Tripping to me has always been a gutless move because it's the admission you've been beaten, Harley had completely wrong footed Pendlebury and had him done cold, cheap shot by a bloke who seems to be able to play under the Luke Hodge ' good bloke ' clause.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought you could get a suspension depending on the severity but perhaps that's changed.

Wasn't the only player in that sequence to throw out a leg trying to trip one of ours if you watch it back.

Tripping to me has always been a gutless move because it's the admission you've been beaten, Harley had completely wrong footed Pendlebury and had him done cold, cheap shot by a bloke who seems to be able to play under the Luke Hodge ' good bloke ' clause.

Yep there was a more obvious one right before it too, might have been by Noble? Such a dog move in any sport.

The Good
  • Witherden down back lead the way. Barrass, Gov, Duggan, Hough and even Cole stood up down there as well.
  • Dewar and Johnstone didn't look out of place. Neither panic with the ball and seem to make good decisions.
  • Ball movement in the second half out of defence. Nice to see some kicks coming through the middle that hit targets.
  • A few nice Harley Reid highlights again.

The Bad
  • Another midriff injury to McGovern. Why are his ribs so fragile?
  • B Williams right off the pace today.
  • Sheed made some terrible, terrible errors.

The Ugly
  • Defensive pressure. We are making young inexperienced players look world class (Sullivan, Richards, Macrae). The same against the Suns. What I would give for a defensive midfielder. Could that be Hall or Burgiel?
  • Ryan's first 3 quarters.

Dewar coming in, getting involved and kicking a goal in his first outing at AFL level kinda highlights just how disappointing Brockman has been as a 4th year player described as classy and in a similar ilk to Dewar.

Had 4 score involvements, which is as much as Brockman has had in any game this year.

Post bye we'll get a good look at a few more players and where we are at.

The Flynn situation is going to be interesting. Having a competent tap ruckman could give us a new dimension at stoppages.

Sounds like Long is dead long term, but Hewett might be back at some point (doubtful). Then there's Oscar. Remember him? Our captain?

Also Gaff.... pause for canned laughter

Except letting opponents off the chain . Its never been his offence or intent that is the problem its his inability to defend an opponent who has any sort of pace.
Generally one drafts at least one speedster in defence to take on a speedster in attack.

A Jetta type.

Generally one drafts at least one speedster in defence to take on a speedster in attack.

A Jetta type.
No finals contending team would have witherden in defence. Brisbane paid his salary for him to join us .
Sure he is playing alright but its like when we had maginnity he played alright too but everyone knew he wasn't up to scratch going forward , he played anyway because its all we had at the time .

Last edited:
Didn't see a lot but from what I did see:
POS
  • Jack Williams. The kid is going to be a good player. Pulling in contested grabs at this age, has found more ball over the last couple weeks.
  • Stemming the bleeding in 2nd half was good
  • As much as I hated this Reid vs NDaicos hype, given Daics is 2 years ahead & practically the best player in the comp, I think it would've been a valuable lesson for Harley to see where he needs to get to in fitness & consistency.
  • Barrass looked very good. Hopefully he's putting his back issues behind him.

NEG
  • We found it very difficult to defend the ground. There were a lot of instances of pies players streaming forward with heaps of space, finding massive holes in our defence
  • They also worked their way out of congestion very easily with handball. Although this may largely be due to the class of some of the Collingwood players. Nick Daicos' vision, speed of hands, ability to move into space, and general kicking and handball skills are something else. I actually can't remember another player like him. He may not play with much physicality, but he doesn't need to, because he's so good at finding the space, getting around opponents, and quick to dispose.
  • I've been against topping up the midfield with a decent mature age player, wanting to give the opportunities to Ginbey, Hewett, Reid etc. However if Yeo is out, we badly need help there, given Sheed has lost it, meaning Kelly can't be the only player there beyond his 2nd year (and even he's been patchy this season). So if we can get someone at the right price, I'm for it (but not handing over a first rounder for Baker 1 year prior to hitting free agency). Riley Garcia perhaps.

I’m too busy being happy that a forward line of

O Allen
J Williams
Jake snake
Ryan Maric
Noah long
B. Williams

Is going to be a premiership level forward line in a few years.

I’m not going to be disappointed by losing badly to last years premiers when I’m seeing improvement everywhere from last year.
Way too tall.
BWilliams out. Allen Williams Snake Maric might even be pushing it, though Maric & Snake are very agile.
We desperately need a very good opportunistic forward, and a couple quick & high pressure forwards. Noah Long doesn't fit either category. Not sure where he gets to.

This might sound a bit pathetic, but in the last quarter (I think) Johnston was near the boundary and the pies supporter in the front row wrapped his arms around him. There was no malice intended, but in this day & age its totally inappropriate, and wasn't called out at all by the commentators. Johnston to his credit shrugged it off as if nothing happened, but I feel if it was a bigger name player, or perhaps not an interstate team playing in vic, it would've been scrutinised more.
I'm not saying hit him hard, but I reckon a week off from going to the footy would be appropriate. Since the Monica Seles incident, fan contact with players, other than a high 5, should not happen.

We badly, badly need a proper Ruckman. Poor BW is carrying a load he shouldn't for a year and half now. A good back up, chop out ruck but not a no1 ruck.
We are for some reason cursed with injuries to the players we can least afford to lose.
And again today, aaarrgghhhj

The playing of sheed riles me so badly.

His selection, it's an insult to his team mates, that try and then you've got this guy weak as piss in endeavour.

Standards.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back