Preview Round 9: Swans vs Fremantle (and SCG Family Sing-a-Long)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dubai Quacker

Wily Old Campaigner
Aug 11, 2019
Western Australia
AFL Club
Sydney
The Key Details:

Sydney Swans(11th) vs Fremantle Dockers (12th)

Venue: Sydney Cricket Ground (a.k.a “The Choke Dome”)

Date: Saturday May 13

Time: 1.45pm (just when I need to be running around to kids sport, thanks very much AFL)

Weather: fine, 22 degrees, with a light north easterly blowing. Or torrential rain and an icy, cyclonic southerly.

Preamble

Sydney versus Fremantle encounters have, in recent years, been absolute drudgery. Low scoring, defence-oriented slogs that made the final quarter feel like it dragged on for weeks.

Indeed, I had the displeasure of attending undoubtably the dullest AFL game in history – August 22, 2020 at Optus Stadium. The scars haven’t healed. Fremantle (7.8.50) defeated Sydney (2.7.17). There wasn’t even a half-time dancing competition at which caesar88 could Elaine his way to a $1,000 fuel voucher. It was so depressingly boring that post-game, Fox Footy decided not to show a highlights package, but instead featured a piece covering Fremantle’s proud history of draft and trade period clangers (a good dose of Freo selecting Trent Croad over Luke Hodge always lightens the mood – and that’s before the Des Headland vibe kicks in).

Anyway, in hindsight, I have come to release that Ross Lyon’s slow-play style appealed to the Freo fan-base. Because it is bloody hard to follow fast action after a solid day on the Reverend Green, moaning about how your organic cafe's kombucha in a mason jar is “soooooo mainstream nowadays”.
Lyon’s slow, methodical style didn’t win many games, but it did appeal to the mellowed-out Freo hipster crew.

1683460408690.png
Fremantle Gastro-Pub Beverage (2023)

Unfortunately, things haven’t changed much in the post-Lyon era. We face potentially yet another rather dull game. Which got me thinking – how do fans of other sports make things a bit more interesting?

Well, at the English soccer (tellingly, the 2nd most boring sport on earth, behind basketball), the fans get some terrific sing-a-longs going to amuse themselves. And no, I don’t mean bloody “Sweet Caroline”.

Unfortunately, Sydney and Fremantle fans are the most unimaginative supporter groups going around. Here’s the extent of their chants:

Sydney: “Siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiid-neeeeeeeeeey”

Fremantle: “Freeeeeeeeeee-ooooooooooow”

1683460829431.png
Sydney and Freo Fans in Full Voice (Optus, August 2020)

So, to help things along, I’ve taken the liberty of producing Volume 1 of Dubai Quacker's “Sydney Versus Freo - AFL Fan's Songbook", for implementation if & when things get boring at the SCG.

1683462020109.png Sydney Versus Freo – Fan Chants (Volume 1) 1683462012387.png

Nothing gets the Swans’ faithful (e.g., Punts) more animated than the old “should we have drafted Serong instead of Stephens?” debate. To that end, the following little ditty should prove topical:

Caleb Serong (sung to “Ce Sera Sera”)

Caleb Serong, Serong

Whatever will be will be

You should play for Syd-er-nee

Caleb Serong, Serong

Caleb Serong, Serong

Whatever will be will be

We’ll give you the number 3

Caleb Serong, Serong

Of course, this song is a bit harsh on Dylan (who is, incidentally, going to be a better AFL player than Serong). It should therefore, always be immediately followed up with the following mandatory refrain:

We love you Dylan, we do!

We love you Dylan, we love you!

The next song is recommended for implementation following any sprayed shot at goal from Freo’s young but somewhat erratic tall forward, Josh Treacy (who, incidentally, should also play for Sydney, as his goal kicking would fit right in):

Josh Treacy (sung to “That’s Amore”)

When you’re sitting in row Z

And the ball hits your head

That’s Josh Treacy …

And whilst on the topic of missed shots, we can’t forget Luke Jackson:

Luke Jackson (sung to the Barmy Army’s “Mitchell Johnson”)

He kicks to the left

He kicks to the riiiiight

Your star man Luke Jackson

His kicking is sh*te

Of course, the Swans’ chants can’t all be about the opposition…..

Harry Cunningham (sung to “Mrs Robinson”)

So here’s to you Harry Cunningham

Sydney loves you more than you will know

Whoa-whoa-whoa

God bless you please Harry Cunningham

Horse has held a place for you today

Hey hey hey

Robbie Fox (sung to “Lets Talk About Sex”)

Lets talk about Fox, baby

Lets talk about Tom Pap-ley

Lets talk about all the Warners and the Big Macs and Blake-y

Lets talk about Fox!

Lewis Melican (sung to “Karma Chameleon”)

Karma karma karma karma karma ka-Melican

You come and go

You come and go

And if you’re seeking a bit of nostalgia, whilst reminding Freo of their empty trophy cabinet:

Barry Hall (sung to the Barmy Army’s “Stuart Broad”)

He’s big

He’s bad

Unlike you, he has a flag

Barry Hall!

Barry Hall!

I was going to complete Volume 1 with a tune about Isaac Heeney (sung to “Yellow Polka Dot Bikini”) – but I figured Heeney’s form doesn’t currently warrant a song. Not even a snarky one.

If he manages 3 goals and a few speccies this week (or indeed, just kicks straight at least once), I might re-consider for Volume 2.

The Teams

Freo appeared to come through their “match” against the AFL-approved tankers Hawthorn relatively unscathed, apart from Lachie Shultz copping a bit of a mangled shoulder. But although he was a tad maimed, he played out the game and there’s a fair chance that Freo go in unchanged.

Interestingly, Nat Fyfe, when introduced as the sub against Hawf, played predominantly in the midfield, so don’t be surprised if the Dockers deploy him in the guts again, in an attempt to overpower the Swans’ (according to Bigfooty) frail, skinny midfield.

As for the Swans, Pete Ladhams must be doubtful after carrying what appeared to be a bung shoulder through four quarters against the Pies. Ruck Jesus will likely be summonsed, although it must be said, McLean did battle manfully in the ruck & RJ didn’t set the world on fire in the VFL (but then again, nobody did against the might of Frankston). An interesting selection call looms if Ladhams is indeed ruled out.

The other forced change will likely be the unlucky Marc Sheather (whose right shin is currently the most accurate piece of kicking anatomy in the Swans’ entire playing list).

Expect HHK to be near a debut, although Horse will likely introduce him in the back pocket, if recent selection philosophy is anything to go by. Gus Sheldrick, who was strangely told to not bother turning up to any games this weekend, could also return, as could Dyl Stephens.

The other interesting selection consideration will be Buddy – who is certainly due for “management” (particularly after this week’s performance). But honestly, who knows.

The Verdict

Sydney has a few bogey sides.

Freo isn’t one of them.

Swans by 6 goals in a game that nobody can possibly claim to be a “blockbuster”.

In the words immortalized by The King!, we’ll p*ss it in.

Happy singing.

Fremantle are the most nothing team to me in the comp, don't hate them, Don't like them, they never do anything, never that bad, just exist , nothing exciting about them.

Francis should play in defence

Hickey for Ladhams injury?

I dunno

got a feeling we have more pain to come

great preview though

we just need to snag enough wins to hope that we get rampe, reid and amartey back after the bye for a strong 2nd half

we just need to snag enough wins to hope that we get rampe, reid and amartey back after the bye for a strong 2nd half

Reid isnt even running yet

sorry first week running

he is miles off

Reid isnt even running yet

sorry first week running

he is miles off

Is Reid really going to come back? And if he does, will he last more than a few games before being injured again?

its either use the winning formula from last year or we have to do some sort of mini rebuild and figure out whos going to have a role moving fwd

i hope sheather can play again - he did not look awed by the stage and applied tackling pressure before his injury

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We average 363 possessions a game Taos year but against the Pies we had 430 odd. Not sure we will play the same style against the Dockers.

Hopefully we make the most of our chances and get the win.

Ins Hickey
Out Ladhams (injured)

Players in poor form are immune to being dropped so I don’t see a lot of changes.

Outs: Ladhams, Cunningham, Hayward, Sheather, Buddy
Ins: Hickey, Stephens, anyone, anyone, anyone

Heat will surely be on the horse once we lose this one at home.

Seriously, the team has no confidence this season and I've lost all belief that we will be anything other than a bottom 4 team.
If we lose one of the next two, definitely. I know it's two weeks away and we are talking the Freo game, but I'm more worried about Clarko. He always had Horse's number!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back