Preview Round 9 v Bulldogs MCG Saturday May 11 7.25pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually his last two games have been good (apart from his shots on goal), but he's getting into dangerous spots and defensively has been good laying 12 tackles in last 2 games. Bette than anything Mansell and Campbell have done.

Btw do you think we should just keep gifting games to Mansell and Campbell?

Remember Lefau was promoted to the seniors on a 8 possession game. His first 3 games were VFL standard but to his credit he has taken his game to another level.
Lefau came in as we needed a KPF. Cumberland has played 2 good games after a bunch of ordinary ones. Now I get the argument that we need medium sized forwards to hit the scoreboard but we also need them to be defensively sound and that doesn't just mean laying tackles, but also discipline to be in the right position when it comes to our team defensive structure. Maybe Noah still needs to work on the latter before he gets a call up.

Happy to cut Mansell and Campbell some slack. Tony Lockett would've struggled to kick a goal The last few weeks the way the midfield has been going. With a couple of big bodies back in the guts and Balta up forward I reckon the little fellas will be much improved.
Lockett wouldn't be playing because the CFL would fick us again anyway and suspend him for a sling tackle.

Carlton have Pittonet, DeKoning, McKay and Curnow and we cant even bring in Ryan to help Nank out and to help Balta up forward
It does have me a bit baffled why he hasn't been given more of a go.
There may be some reasons behind it eith team structure, but I would have thought with Balta back this week it would have been the perfect time to play him.
It's not going to be wet which might have been a reason to leave him out.

i just want (a healthy) balta & ryan as ins, naismith out and then i'm guessing prestia and graham will most likely be additions whether we like it or not
Adam yze is either a madman or a genius, Graham and presty are being picked just makes me think that if they break down again they won't be considered for next year if they stay sound good for them good for us.
blending experience and youth is the way to go at the moment as 4 points means stuff all. being competitive and seeing who has got what it takes is better for us.

educated guess (gut feel) says presty will be a late out and combo in.
I dont think he'll be a late out, because he wouldn't be named if he was in doubt.

Pretty disappointed with these ins. Not once this season, has a senior player come back via the VFL, regardless of their prior form. Not once. And we're 1-6. That doesn't send a good message as far as I'm concerned. We've brought back 3 players who are ALL coming back from injury. Despite a great win in the VFL and many AFL listed players having great games. And a few blokes having below average games in a smashing at AFL level.

At least one of the players named should be playing VFL (and probably 2) and at least one player (and probably 2/3) from our VFL team should have been named in this team. Where's the reward for good form?
I can’t believe that they have rushed every senior player back into the firsts as it’s pretty well backfired with them getting injured again or being a passenger. It’s like they have no faith in our future players.

Don't get this love for Cumbo
Kicked 1.6 other week and still prefers to shoot for goal instead of looking for better options.
He's time wont come until becomes the team player.
Just watched the 3rd Q where Cumberland had his best term, his first shot was a snap out of a pack, 50-50 to snap or handpass. Second point was a lead up mark and set shot from 40m. Easy shot missed. Third shot was another 45m out set shot directly in front. Shot every day. Third shot, maybe a handball backwards, but 30m out directly in front, little pressure, snap around the body, should have been a goal.

In situations where there was a better option on a few occasion he layed it off to team mates, and has done that on many occasions in previous games. In better form he could easily have kicked 4 goals.

The other point is, what has Campbell done in the last 4 weeks. Averaging 8 disposals, 2 tackles and has kicked 0.2 goals. Cumberland might be a work in progress, has come a good way in regards to being a team player, and is worth a shot.

Last edited:
Lefau came in as we needed a KPF. Cumberland has played 2 good games after a bunch of ordinary ones. Now I get the argument that we need medium sized forwards to hit the scoreboard but we also need them to be defensively sound and that doesn't just mean laying tackles, but also discipline to be in the right position when it comes to our team defensive structure. Maybe Noah still needs to work on the latter before he gets a call up.
Our problem up fwd is we have 2 players who hardly have a defensive bone in their body(Dusty & Bolton).In our prime we had lambo/George & Towno too cover adequately.
Atm we have young inexperienced kids trying too take up the slack.
Bringing in Cumberland will only make it worse.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There is nothing wrong with Cumberrland's positioning in games. I have watched him really hard because that is the criticism, but folds back into the right places, follows his man who is attacking off half back. I can't recall to often where I have thought you should have gone harder defensively, not more than any other player.

As player development, I have no problem with playing Cumberland in the VFL, working on deficiencies, working on strengths, and waiting for it all to click before bringing him in. But we are floundering especially up forward, and we are doing not much about it in regard to team selection other than bringing Lefau in. That was bold and look how it has turned out. Happy when the promoted Campbell because he is a class player. But he needs a rest. Mansell, is not a small forward, been saying that for two seasons. Coulthard should have been in also. Graham will come in and get his usual 14 possession half good game. Time to roll the dice.

Pretty disappointed with these ins. Not once this season, has a senior player come back via the VFL, regardless of their prior form. Not once. And we're 1-6. That doesn't send a good message as far as I'm concerned. We've brought back 3 players who are ALL coming back from injury. Despite a great win in the VFL and many AFL listed players having great games. And a few blokes having below average games in a smashing at AFL level.

At least one of the players named should be playing VFL (and probably 2) and at least one player (and probably 2/3) from our VFL team should have been named in this team. Where's the reward for good form?
TBH pretty much as I expected. Yze going with the 3 spud small fwds since the praccy matches I thought Green for Sethie & Ryan might be INs.

We have been horrible up fwd and Balta for Naismith is huge, Prestia back in also a huge boost to our midfield.
Graham I don't rate but he bolsters that mid/fwd area.

Kmac getting dropped & Grimes rested is as bigger statement.

TBH pretty much as I expected. Yze going with the 3 spud small fwds since the praccy matches I thought Green for Sethie & Ryan might be INs.

We have been horrible up fwd and Balta for Naismith is huge, Prestia back in also a huge boost to our midfield.
Graham I don't rate but he bolsters that mid/fwd area.

Kmac getting dropped & Grimes rested is as bigger statement.
I feel like watching Prestia is Death Race 2000. Great, great, great. injured.

Liam Baker (sore) has been withdrawn from the squad of 32 to face Western Bulldogs on Saturday night at the MCG and replaced by Noah Cumberland

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back