Preview Round 9 v Bulldogs MCG Saturday May 11 7.25pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Earlier in the season kicking out from full back, the kicker would look left, right, middle, and often choose the more attacking option. But that has evaporated, and it is the same old Hardwick safe option every time now. Usually a chip to the right hand back pocket, look inboard, chip, but more generally it then goes down the line. No wonder we can't score, we do the same all game and the opposition know it.

Time to give kicking out duties to Brown, because he hasn't been pre-conditioned, and he has the ability and confidence to back himself to kick more daring spaces. If we are going to lose, I would rather do it with some flair, the odd turnover, clanger, than the usual Hardwick safe options ingrained in our designated kickers.
Yeah exactly. It’s just so predictable. It’s not a good strategy either because we’re bad in the air this year, so we can’t retain possession kicking to a pack.

These are our games and what our marking differential looked like. The below will be structured as Richmond vs opposition:

72-118 vs Gold Coast.
10-11 contested marks

69-98 vs Carlton
10-12 contested marks

74-107 vs Port Adelaide
7-7 contested marks

110-99 vs Sydney
8-5 contested marks

80-119 vs St Kilda
12-11 contested marks

92-77 vs West Coast
9-17 contested marks

108-129 vs Melbourne
7-10 contested marks

97-130 vs Fremantle
6-6 contested marks

I really don’t see why we even bother kicking to packs. The Sydney game is the only game we controlled the air in both contests and general play. We controlled the air in general play against West Coast, but they smashed us in contested marks. Their direct ball movement and clearance dominance over us compounded the issue.

Everyone else just controlled the ball through the air and we couldn’t do much about it. Apart from obviously needing to man up more, we need to utilise the corridor much more than we are right now. Yes, it’ll fly back over our heads into defence if it goes wrong. But, this will at least keep teams defensively accountable. They could slip up if it all goes right. Right now, we’re 18th in points scored because of injuries AND how easy it is to read our ball movement. We’re just making it way too easy for our opponents to control the ball.

Yes, I want to see Brown take over kicking duties as you said. I’m also waiting for Trezise to come back because he also isn’t conditioned to just kick to a pack formed on the right wing. Otherwise, we’ll just kick to a pack and it’ll likely going to spill out of bounds given of our average contested marking ability right now. The opposition will probably win the next stoppage clearance too.

We have to change this until we get all our talls back including Lynch. Probably better we ditch this kick-in style altogether.

Yeah exactly. It’s just so predictable. It’s not a good strategy either because we’re bad in the air this year, so we can’t retain possession kicking to a pack.

These are our games and what our marking differential looked like. The below will be structured as Richmond vs opposition:

72-118 vs Gold Coast.
10-11 contested marks

69-98 vs Carlton
10-12 contested marks

74-107 vs Port Adelaide
7-7 contested marks

110-99 vs Sydney
8-5 contested marks

80-119 vs St Kilda
12-11 contested marks

92-77 vs West Coast
9-17 contested marks

108-129 vs Melbourne
7-10 contested marks

97-130 vs Fremantle
6-6 contested marks

I really don’t see why we even bother kicking to packs. The Sydney game is the only game we controlled the air in both contests and general play. We controlled the air in general play against West Coast, but they smashed us in contested marks. Their direct ball movement and clearance dominance over us compounded the issue.

Everyone else just controlled the ball through the air and we couldn’t do much about it. Apart from obviously needing to man up more, we need to utilise the corridor much more than we are right now. Yes, it’ll fly back over our heads into defence if it goes wrong. But, this will at least keep teams defensively accountable. They could slip up if it all goes right. Right now, we’re 18th in points scored because of injuries AND how easy it is to read our ball movement. We’re just making it way too easy for our opponents to control the ball.

Yes, I want to see Brown take over kicking duties as you said. I’m also waiting for Trezise to come back because he also isn’t conditioned to just kick to a pack formed on the right wing. Otherwise, we’ll just kick to a pack and it’ll likely going to spill out of bounds given of our average contested marking ability right now. The opposition will probably win the next stoppage clearance too.

We have to change this until we get all our talls back including Lynch. Probably better we ditch this kick-in style altogether.
I think that's up to Yze to give licence to play more attacking. First year in, hard to stamp your mark on game plans, especially when players played the Hardwick way for so long. Difficult season, that will hopefully get a bit easier with some personelle returning.

Todays the day mate

What’s your par output for cumdawg

Wouldn’t mind seeing 2 plus goals but hopefully a small bag with 15 odd possies
Obviously would love to see that but not going in expecting huge amount offensively..

Just really hope he carries his defensive and get on to the next job mentality he’s had the last couple games in the VFL

keep his spot in the bloody side, I’ve got no doubt his confidence will grow with some continuity

Obviously would love to see that but not going in expecting huge amount offensively..

Just really hope he carries his defensive and get on to the next job mentality he’s had the last couple games in the VFL

keep his spot in the bloody side, I’ve got no doubt his confidence will grow with some continuity
If he does this, then the rest will take care of itself.

It's hard to answer that one bc he's the last man in the side and it could mean sub which would be a real downer.
I thought the sub was picked from the emergency group not the bench group so he should start shouldn’t he?

As one of his earlier critics I would love to see this so much
Hopefully this is the start of something special

I thought the sub was picked from the emergency group not the bench group so he should start shouldn’t he?
They can pick the sub from any of the named 23

I didn’t check the bench numbers lol. Still uncertain how they’ll do it though as it comes down on what they lost in Baker and who they replaced him with which isNIWL. Interesting though and when do we find out?

I didn’t check the bench numbers lol. Still uncertain how they’ll do it though as it comes down on what they lost in Baker and who they replaced him with which isNIWL. Interesting though and when do we find out?
About an hour before the game generally

If Baker was meant to play mid my choice would be to have Bolton or Dusty (whoever was spending more time forward) jump into the middle and have Cumbo take the forward spot and have Graham or Soup(Campbell) as sub

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Before this season teams would pick 22 players and 4 emergencies and the sub would be chosen an hour before the game from the 4 emergencies.

This season it’s changed to clubs pick 23 players and 3 emergencies and the sub is chosen an hour before the game from the 23 players picked.

As one of his earlier critics I would love to see this so much
Hopefully this is the start of something special
I truly believe this too

From that interview in preseason, I think the last couple weeks has shown it’s starting to click for him from just saying it to actually putting it into play

72-118 vs Gold Coast.
10-11 contested marks

69-98 vs Carlton
10-12 contested marks

74-107 vs Port Adelaide
7-7 contested marks

110-99 vs Sydney
8-5 contested marks

80-119 vs St Kilda
12-11 contested marks

92-77 vs West Coast
9-17 contested marks

108-129 vs Melbourne
7-10 contested marks

97-130 vs Fremantle
6-6 contested marks

We have to create a Pagans paddock and allow the Riolis to run onto the ball using their pace !

I saw this stat that said this:

“When moving the ball from defence the Tigers have used the wing 37.9% of the time - the highest percentage of any team

That’s why we’re so predictable. Teams just know we’re going to line up on that wing. At best (for them) they mark it, and at worst it spills out into a boundary throw-in.
Incredible how many stats there are these days and how much the commentators refer to them and analyse them. But free kick differentials - they only just got noticed and even then the commentators who have noticed it don’t dig too deep

I have a question. I canned my reserved seat membership this year and just have a 3 home game membership. Can I just walk into GA or do I still need to get tickets online beforehand?

I've never not had a reserved seat membership so not sure how it works.

I have a question. I canned my reserved seat membership this year and just have a 3 home game membership. Can I just walk into GA or do I still need to get tickets online beforehand?

I've never not had a reserved seat membership so not sure how it works.
Can just walk up tonight and sit GA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back