Game Day Round 9 vs. WCE, Marvel, 1:00pm Sun 12/05

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
With all the inexperience coming into the team, its easy for me to forget that Sullivan and Harrison are already in there too.

I think getting to see lots of the squad's non-best 22 play in one game will be very useful as to establishing a pecking order for our depth. Its much easier to compare who holds up in the AFL system if they play in the same game.

It’s funny we are $1.10 but I’d take a 1 point win no worries with such a team in.

I think we might have half a midfield slot up for grabs for the run home, so if I was Finn, Bytel or Sullivan I’d be motivated to go hard. Personally I like the latter.
It’s insane to me that we are that short priced. 8 players from best 22 including Murphy which we’ve had to replace.

2 x midfield clearance bulls
2 x KPF
2 x pressure forward
1 x medium forward

That’s not a spread of injuries that you can cover.

Be hard to find any team in the AFL that is a sure thing to beat either north or eagles with those outs. I am aware obviously that eagles are missing yeo, Allan and waterman however.

In some respects we are lucky because against 90% of teams we’d prob be no chance

Don't think that AJ's absence from the emergency list is a black mark against him. He has now had a game down back in the VFL. Fly referred in his presser to AJ trialling a defensive role. We all know his form has not been great, and to suggest now that he is in the mix for AFL selection by naming him would be unsettling for him. He knows the plan he needs to follow to establish his credentials for a return. If suddenly his name were flung into the ring now, he could perceive this as just a measure of desperation because no one else is available. I admire our coaches for resisting such a temptation, and keeping AJ on track to meritoriously earn senior selection on the right terms. I see the selectors' refusal to name him as much more an act of faith in his potential for the future, than would have been naming him in an act of desperation.
I think our selections are for this game are spot on. Maybe Frampton and Howe will rotate forward, to add some variation. I am looking forward to seeing what our VFL/on the cusp players can produce. They will be playing with extraordinary motivation to stake a claim for senior selection next week.
Not sure who should be the SUB - it's out of Bytel and Richards.

Don't think that AJ's absence from the emergency list is a black mark against him. He has now had a game down back in the VFL. Fly referred in his presser to AJ trialling a defensive role. We all know his form has not been great, and to suggest now that he is in the mix for AFL selection by naming him would be unsettling for him. He knows the plan he needs to follow to establish his credentials for a return. If suddenly his name were flung into the ring now, he could perceive this as just a measure of desperation because no one else is available. I admire our coaches for resisting such a temptation, and keeping AJ on track to meritoriously earn senior selection on the right terms. I see the selectors' refusal to name him as much more an act of faith in his potential for the future, than would have been naming him in an act of desperation.
I think our selections are for this game are spot on. Maybe Frampton and Howe will rotate forward, to add some variation. I am looking forward to seeing what our VFL/on the cusp players can produce. They will be playing with extraordinary motivation to stake a claim for senior selection next week.
Richards sub, purely because Bytel has more senior experience (barely) and at this point we need as much experience as we can get having lost so much.

Agree AJ overlooked because they have a plan for him in place and don’t want to diverge from that plan if they can help it

Rd sub if it’s between bytel and Richards I’ll go for the one with AFL experience to be in the starting 22 if both are in the 23.

Richards sub, purely because Bytel has more senior experience (barely) and at this point we need as much experience as we can get having lost so much.

Also because Bytel is the endurance beast. Bringing him on as sub detracts from one of his chief assets. The opposite is true for Richards who is a speed/burst player, and a lightly built one at that.

This is going to be one hell of an interesting game, considering we have had to practically reshuffle about 70% of our forward line, and a midfield with Macrae, Sullivan and Bytel getting a decent run in there.
Hopefully all these lads can make an impression on Sunday, and give the selectors something to think about when the usual suspects return.
Good to see that Macrae, Sullivan and McInnes will all get decent game time in this match. I really want to see Fin, in particular, take the opportunity and really show he belongs as a regular in our midfield.
We really need these young guns, including Harrison, Richards and Bytel to show something on Sunday.
We still have some class and experience on the field in the Daicos boys, Moore, Pendles, Sidey, Bobby, Crisp, Howe etc...and this will see us get over the line.
I think it will be a closer match now, with our outs, but Pies by 17 points....

This is going to be one hell of an interesting game, considering we have had to practically reshuffle about 70% of our forward line, and a midfield with Macrae, Sullivan and Bytel getting a decent run in there.
Hopefully all these lads can make an impression on Sunday, and give the selectors something to think about when the usual suspects return.
Good to see that Macrae, Sullivan and McInnes will all get decent game time in this match. I really want to see Fin, in particular, take the opportunity and really show he belongs as a regular in our midfield.
We really need these young guns, including Harrison, Richards and Bytel to show something on Sunday.
We still have some class and experience on the field in the Daicos boys, Moore, Pendles, Sidey, Bobby, Crisp, Howe etc...and this will see us get over the line.
I think it will be a closer match now, with our outs, but Pies by 17 points....
Yep, balanced analysis. We have proven Premiership quality across the back half of the field, and because there is no off side in AFL, they can also be inside our F50!!
I feel confident that we will prevail, though not without difficulty.

Its lucky we have WCE this weekend in Melb with the injury list. Still its a danger game. They have been good the last 4 weeks relatively and did beat us here in 2022 when they only won 2 games for the year.

We cant afford to lose. Good luck to Finn, Reef, HH, Joe, Jack and Sully. A few of you will need to really step up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Extra incentive now to get this win.
After the results tonight, if we win we will be in 6th position on the ladder
I think 7th is the highest we can go after this round isn't it? 22 points? As Carlscum have 24 points & sitting in 6th.

Still much better than where we were though & heading in the right direction.

A must win.

Last edited:
I think 7th is the highest we can go after this round isn't it? 22 points? As Carlscum have 24 points & sitting in 6th.

Still much better than we were though & heading in the right direction.

A must win.
Yep, sorry for the error. We will displace Essendon, assuming they lose to GWS.
So getting ahead of myself there ;)

Begg named over Johnson as an emergency says how much Ash has fallen.
I was thinking the same thing really.
Shows how little confidence the club has in him after those games early this year. To not even be called upon now.

He’s been tasked with a challenge to work on some things before he’s back in seniors it seems.

I’m glad Fly and the selectors have the balls to make these tough calls.

Hopefully Ash can reinvent himself as a back man or even a swing man.

Its lucky we have WCE this weekend in Melb with the injury list. Still its a danger game. They have been good the last 4 weeks relatively and did beat us here in 2022 when they only won 2 games for the year.

We cant afford to lose. Good luck to Finn, Reef, HH, Joe, Jack and Sully. A few of you will need to really step up.
This game will give us a good look at our depth and future team.

Have to admit to be worried about this game.

If this was getting played at Optus,could well bring this game back to a 50/50 contest....

It’s funny we are $1.10 but I’d take a 1 point win no worries with such a team in.

I think we might have half a midfield slot up for grabs for the run home, so if I was Finn, Bytel or Sullivan I’d be motivated to go hard. Personally I like the latter.
Me too. We have half a VFL team in tomorrow. It's going to be tough.

It’s an opportunity, looking forward to it.

Yeah we could lose but what a great opportunity to get some of these guys in and a real look at them, pity it’s not at the G.

I don’t think we lose this, I’ve been wrong before JFTR

Looking forward to a massive game from Harvey this weekend with key players missing. He showed last weekend that he’s a player and this weekend he might have added responsibilities. I rate him the highest of any of our young players in terms of making an immediate impact. That last Daicos goal was all because of Harvey’s smart tap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back