Game Day Round 9 vs. WCE, Marvel, 1:00pm Sun 12/05

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
View attachment 1985474

These two old mates are about to go to outright 4th most games as teammates.

They’ll have 8 more to get to outright 3rd. Hopefully can get to second by the end of the season.

Still 15 H&A games this year isn't there, plus finals. Could conceivably by outright leaders by seasons end.

I think he’ll play next week. Was good today in the VFL.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Naturally we won't have reason to rue Kreuger's absence from our AFL team, because even with half the team absent, the boys, and they are now mainly boys, are going to easily account for West Coast. So fortunately we won't have any need to regret the absence of the one big man who could have given the attack some backbone if it had been required, which it hasn't.

These are the games that usually trip us up.

Be nice to smash a team just for confidence at this stage.

% hardly matters because we are on an uneven number of points, so the the win is the main thing.

Considering Essendon will likely finish around us in the ladder, percentage does still matter

Naturally we won't have reason to rue Kreuger's absence from our AFL team, because even with half the team absent, the boys, and they are now mainly boys, are going to easily account for West Coast. So fortunately we won't have any need to regret the absence of the one big man who could have given the attack some backbone if it had been required, which it hasn't.

Yes - hopefully we somehow kick a winning score against WCE and then are bold enough to bring Freddie in to take on the Crows. His physicality and long-range goal-kicking will be vital against stronger opponents, whilst Checkers remains out.

Has a team ever had a softer draw than Essendon’s this year? Talk about being kissed on the proverbial!

It’s ridiculous how uneven the fixture is.

They've played Sydney (Away), Port (away) and GWS, which is probably 3 of the hardest matches in footy along with Geelong.

Nervous about today.
Big task covering Checkers and Jamie. Really hope we can find a way.
Big task covering, Checkers, Jamie and McCreery! Even if they don’t score themselves, they contribute to the scoring and are a flag-winning forward combination. They are not easily replaced, no matter the replacement personnel. And in our instance, some very inexperienced personnel.

Although I like the point made by another poster - let’s see how the new guys go outside the VFL, with the leadership and quality we have in the seniors. It’s certainly helped HH rise to a new level.

They've played Sydney (Away), Port (away) and GWS, which is probably 3 of the hardest matches in footy along with Geelong.

Actually, you’re right. I went back and looked at the pre-season analysis and it was the previous season where they had a particularly easy fixture (ranked 17th hardest). Sorry, my mistake!

Also a bit nervous. We will be carrying a lot of second stringers, and it's not like our our role players like Frampton and Markov are A graders in the absence of a good team. Really need our backline to dominate, and our top liners to get it done in the midfield. I'm confident we will find enough goals regardless of our fwd line if the ball movement is good across the ground.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Absolutely massive game in the context of our season in that we have an opportunity to set ourselves up for an assault on the Top 4

But with a VFL Forward line playing a somewhat rejuvenated West Coast at a ground we hate playing at, legit danger game.

I hope the boys approach it with the right attitude and do what needs to be done

If we f lose this one I'm gonna buy an $80 wagyu steak and cook it extra well done and put tomatoe sauce on it, just totally ruin it n that re... that's it for me man... I've f had it!

funeral-salute-without-remorse.gif

Rest in peace Gimpos. Jumping Jay for the first sausage roll today.

West Coast is 3rd worst in the comp for goal scorers per game (i.e. the distribution of their scoring) and they're missing their leading goal kicker by a massive margin.

We are 3rd best in the comp, on the other hand. I think we're better suited to cover our outs vs them with theirs.

Absolutely massive game in the context of our season in that we have an opportunity to set ourselves up for an assault on the Top 4

But with a VFL Forward line playing a somewhat rejuvenated West Coast at a ground we hate playing at, legit danger game.

I hope the boys approach it with the right attitude and do what needs to be done
Unlike cricketers, footballers don’t give a f**k about what ground they are running around on.

Nervous about today.
Big task covering Checkers and Jamie. Really hope we can find a way.

You could assemble quite a decent forward line out of our players who are unavailable:

Elliott McStay McCreery
DeGoey Mihocek Schultz

* Johnson unlucky to miss out.

You could assemble quite a decent forward line out of our players who are unavailable:

Elliott McStay McCreery
DeGoey Mihocek Schultz

* Johnson unlucky to miss out.
They're all very important players for us, but as far as forwards go Mihocek is pretty much irreplaceable.

West Coast is 3rd worst in the comp for goal scorers per game (i.e. the distribution of their scoring) and they're missing their leading goal kicker by a massive margin.

We are 3rd best in the comp, on the other hand. I think we're better suited to cover our outs vs them with theirs.

The difference is that we know WCE are a work in progress.

By contrast we really don’t know what our forward line will be like given it’s made up of a debutant, a 6 game player, a 15 game player, and a couple of defenders who have only played a few games forward in living memory.

That Daicos goal - 1990 Collingwood v Weagles Drawn Qualifying Final​

(I have appropriated this from somewhere)

Daicos had kicked three goals, including a laser-like torpedo from outside 50 and a left-footer across his body from just inside the arc.

The 'Macedonian Marvel' left his best 'til last.

With five minutes left, Pies enforcer Darren Millane – courageously playing with a broken thumb he'd carry through the finals series – used the underside of his right hand to handball to Daicos, who performed an act of sheer wizardry.

From the boundary in the left forward pocket, the Magpie maestro threaded an outrageous banana kick that Matthews later hailed in his 2013 autobiography Accept The Challenge as "possibly the most spectacular and memorable display of magical ball skill I've ever seen".

The 1990 qualifying final was the scene for one of Peter Daicos's most brilliant feats.

6_64130011.jpg

No draw today.

But there will be more Daicos magic.

Collingwood by 64 points

Sydney’s only loss this season has been to the cooked rich who aren’t travelling any better, and arguably have had worse recent form. Can’t go in expecting a win with the personnel we have missing. Would like a fast start for a change to!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back