Round ball code talk

Remove this Banner Ad

There's two issues, first Aussies don't understand the rules because many only tune in every 4 years. Also, as you say, diving doesn't work with the Aussie sporting belief set. Some other nations think of it as a skill.
Countries where the other more physical contact football/sports codes are bigger than soccer don't get it, and that's why soccer will struggle to be the number 1 sport.

Oz - footy and rugby league
NZ - rugby union
SAF - rugby union ...... although as black population become more wealthier that changes
Pacific Island nations - rugby union
USA - Gridiron and Ice Hockey
Canada - Ice Hockey and Gridiron

Japan and South Korea baseball used to be number 1 but that's a non contact sport so it was easier for soccer to become accepted as the number 1 sport and this sort of contact to become accepted.

Countries where the other more physical contact football/sports codes are bigger than soccer don't get it, and that's why soccer will struggle to be the number 1 sport.

Oz - footy and rugby league
NZ - rugby union
SAF - rugby union ...... although as black population become more wealthier that changes
Pacific Island nations - rugby union
USA - Gridiron and Ice Hockey
Canada - Ice Hockey and Gridiron

Japan and South Korea baseball used to be number 1 but that's a non contact sport so it was easier for soccer to become accepted as the number 1 sport and this sort of contact to become accepted.
I’ve enjoyed the World Cup, but I will never get over how quickly players go to ground at the hint of contact.

Apart from anything else, keeping your feet keeps you in the play. So many scoring opportunities must go begging because the striker is pretending they have a broken leg instead of doing what he gets paid to do.

And so many goals must be scored because a defender chose to drop out of the zone with a temporary amputation, rather than maintain his shape.

In such a low scoring game it just seems bizarre and selfish.

We are taught young in Aussie rules don't show the other team they hurt you ect...
Get up dust ya self off... Keep going...

At least I was.

Love (soccer) but it pisses me off even when my own team does it... Specially when they get hit in a different part of the body they bloody hold as they are dying on the ground.

We are taught young in Aussie rules don't show the other team they hurt you ect...
Get up dust ya self off... Keep going...

At least I was.

Show them you are strong when you are weak. Show them you are weak when you are strong.

The two things must co-exist. One must know when do one and when do the other.

In such a low scoring game it just seems bizarre and selfish.

Refereeing matter.

In England, the refs are practically fancy spectators. In Brazil, there are three/four times more frees per game in average than in England.

Unfortunately, our refs blow their whistle way too much. “Frowning! Free kick!” It’s nauseating. This favors playing for frees, instead of playing for the ball.

In England, it happens the opposite. The players act differently.

Yet, I would like to point that in soccer, differently than other football codes, tripping is common. Players will lose their balance more often. It’s not necessarily diving.

It’s not also violent, but in many cases it is still a FK.

Couldn't care less about diving, bit a laugh really and that's it.

It's just the low scoring defensive nature of everything. How can anyone feel satisfied with a 1-0 or 2-0 win? In a game where scoring is at such a premium it's quite possible that the better team may not win due to really rubbery reasons, and how can the loser salvage anything from it?

At least in footy when Port lose despite being 'better', we can look squarely at the game plan and coach as the reason why. Not a penalty, or a kick that went slightly under the bar instead of slightly over. You get enough scores in football and many other sports that you can definitely say you had a fair chance and ample opportunity to win. You scored more than a dozen times.

Right now in the game on SBS the score is 0-0. One of these teams will lose, either in the five minutes or a penalty shootout, and how can that feel fair in a lockout competition? One game to hope all the stars align?

* if anything to me a penalty shootout feels fairer than losing in general play, at least it's a fair test of ability that each team gets and they usually score more than once.

90 minutes and the average feels maybe a goal every half hour, and when it happens it feels more like relief than jubilation. Probably have to wait to the second or third score to start feeling relaxed and happy.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

Not a bad start by Portugal here

We're looking like (bolded my tips):
Croatia vs Brazil (note: sorry Gremio but I have too much love for Croatia to not support them in this one)
Netherlands vs Argentina
Morocco vs Portugal
England vs France

And to go nuts and predict the rest too:
Brazil vs Netherlands
Portugal vs France

And the final:
Brazil vs France

Honestly though, outside of Morocco, Croatia and Argentina, who would surprise me, I could easily see any of the other 5 sides winning it all.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Couldn't care less about diving, bit a laugh really and that's it.

It's just the low scoring defensive nature of everything. How can anyone feel satisfied with a 1-0 or 2-0 win? In a game where scoring is at such a premium it's quite possible that the better team may not win due to really rubbery reasons, and how can the loser salvage anything from it?

At least in footy when Port lose despite being 'better', we can look squarely at the game plan and coach as the reason why. Not a penalty, or a kick that went slightly under the bar instead of slightly over. You get enough scores in football and many other sports that you can definitely say you had a fair chance and ample opportunity to win. You scored more than a dozen times.

Right now in the game on SBS the score is 0-0. One of these teams will lose, either in the five minutes or a penalty shootout, and how can that feel fair in a lockout competition? One game to hope all the stars align?

* if anything to me a penalty shootout feels fairer than losing in general play, at least it's a fair test of ability that each team gets and they usually score more than once.

90 minutes and the average feels maybe a goal every half hour, and when it happens it feels more like relief than jubilation. Probably have to wait to the second or third score to start feeling relaxed and happy.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

It’s a low-scoring game. It’s why goals are so special.

You know what are also low scoring games but are masked as not so because they allotted more points for scoring? The rugby codes and American Football. In American Football a 21:14 scoreline is really just 3:2. Rugby is similar.

Baseball, ice hockey, the rugbies, American football, futsal, those are all “mid-scoring” games.

Soccer is lower than those.

(I also divide rugby and American scores by 7!)

What about Quidditch? I mean yes you can score a lot by getting the quaffle through the hoops (and obviously avoiding the bludgers), but really most games come down to the golden snitch so most of the time its effectively a one score game.

I actually have a take on Quidditch, but I’m not saying anything about it here! 😅

Morocco wins The Moors Cup. Goalkeeper was great in the penalty shoot out.

Watch 2nd half of Portugal game and some highlights. Great debut by Ramos.

Reminded me a bit of James (pronunced Hamm - ez) of Colombia from 2014 WC, both 21/22 year olds making such a big impact in their debut WC game.

GremioPower you might want to compare below to your lists.

1982 was the first WC with 24 teams and they went from 6 groups of 4, and top 2 ie 12 nations progressing to the 2nd stage being 4 groups of 3, play 2 games each and the top teams in each group went to the SFs. Since 1986 its been a round 16 knockout.

So since 1986, at least one surprise not top 8th or 10th FIFA ranked team have made it to the QF stage. It's reasonably common for 11th to 16th ranked team to make QF, but a 20+ ranked team has made the QF stage every WC since 1990.

1986 Belgium were probably the 8th to 10th ranked of 14 European nations. Beat Spain on penalties in QF lost to Argies in SF 0-2
1990 Cameroon made QF, lost 2-3 v England. I watched a 60 minute package - ok 45 after commercials on SBS last night.

1994 Bulgaria FIFA ranking 29th made QF beat Germany 2-1, lost SF to Italy 1-2. But they had Hristo Stoichkov who made Pele's greatest 100.
1998 Croatia ranked 19th won QF 3-0 over Germany, lost SF 1-2 to France. Denmark 27th lost QF 2-3 to Brazil.

2002 Senegal 42nd lost QF to Turkey 22nd 0-1, Turkey lost to Brazil 0-1. Sth Korea 40th won QF v Spain on penalties, lost SF 0-1 to Germany
2006 Ukraine 26th lost QF to Italy 0-3. Portugal 17th ranked beat England on penalties and lost SF 0-1 to France.

2010 Ghana 32nd lost QF to Uruguay on penalties. Paraguay 31st lost QF to Spain 0-1
2014 Costa Rica 28th lost QF to Netherlands on penalties.

2018 Sweden 25th lost QF to England 0-2. Russia 65th lost to Croatia 18th on penalties, Croatia beat England in SF 2-1, Lost Final 2-4 to France
2022 Morocco 22nd have made QF, Croatia 12th have made QF other 6 teams are ranked 1st to 9th by FIFA - Spain 7th, Belgium 2nd lost Rd 16 and Italy 6th didn't qualify.

Newcastle have been inundated with loan offers for 18-year-old Australia forward Garang Kuol after his performances at the World Cup - before he has officially joined the club. The Magpies agreed a £300,000 transfer with Central Coast Mariners earlier this year with Kuol set to move to Newcastle in January.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back