Analysis Rucks, do they matter and does ours suck?

Remove this Banner Ad

The point of the post was that getting dropped isn't the mic drop that you think it is. It isn't proof that ROB is a terrible player.
You can not compare a first year player getting dropped after 2 games to a senior player in a key role period. There was no point to your post.

A senior player doesn’t get dropped after one bad game, they get a lot more slack and are carried longer than a first year player would.

But then consider all young 3 players you mentioned got dropped, rebounded and made the top 10 whilst ROB, the senior player didn’t, despite playing 20 games and it makes your post even more odd.

You can not compare a first year player getting dropped after 2 games to a senior player in a key role period. There was no point to your post.

A senior player doesn’t get dropped after one bad game, they get a lot more slack and are carried longer than a first year player would.

But then consider all young 3 players you mentioned got dropped, rebounded and made the top 10 whilst ROB, the senior player didn’t, despite playing 20 games and it makes your post even more odd.
So getting dropped is proof that you are a terrible player, but only if it happens to ROB?

Fog was a 5th year player. Berry and Fog finished 2021 as best 22 players.

McAdam was dropped, as was Murray and Hinge. All are best 22 but not top 10. They didn't perform spectacularly when they came back. But well enough to remain in the team (like ROB).

If you have other proof that ROB is a terrible player, as opposed to average or above average and particularly compared to the average ruck, that might be a more compelling argument.

So getting dropped is proof that you are a terrible player, but only if it happens to ROB?

Fog was a 5th year player. Berry and Fog finished 2021 as best 22 players.

McAdam was dropped, as was Murray and Hinge. All are best 22 but not top 10. They didn't perform spectacularly when they came back. But well enough to remain in the team (like ROB).

If you have other proof that ROB is a terrible player, as opposed to average or above average and particularly compared to the average ruck, that might be a more compelling argument.
Wow, you’re doubling down. If you can’t tell the difference between young developing/ fringe players and senior players being dropped and the different stages where they are in their careers, well I’m afraid I don’t know what to tell you.

McAdam dropped last year? When? Oh and bolted in the top 10 off limited games unlike ROB, so what’s your point exactly.

ROB was dropped after a number of poor games. He had one great game and was average to poor in the rest.

Throw in ROB saying he didn’t have a great year and MRB37 saying the inside word is they view him serviceable at best, I don’t get why you’re struggling with this.

Oh and did I say he was a terrible player? I said he sucked last year. His form since his B&F has gone downhill.

Anyway, I feel like I’m hitting my head against a brick wall with you.

The problem I have with ROB is his kicking is a genuine liability. Every kick could be accurate, a 'chaos ball' or oob, no matter how simple or easy the shot may be. I think his kicking action is the main cause and one of the worst in the AFL. He's a natural athlete but not a natural footballer.

He knows this, which is why he's always looking to handball to the player from behind. It is very predictable and we've seen the opposition take advantage of it by manning the player running from behind, causing turnovers. Hence my main point, his kicking is a liability.

Wow, you’re doubling down. If you can’t tell the difference between young developing/ fringe players and senior players being dropped and the different stages where they are in their careers, well I’m afraid I don’t know what to tell you.

McAdam dropped last year? When? Oh and bolted in the top 10 off limited games unlike ROB, so what’s your point exactly.

ROB was dropped after a number of poor games. He had one great game and was average to poor in the rest.

Throw in ROB saying he didn’t have a great year and MRB37 saying the inside word is they view him serviceable at best, I don’t get why you’re struggling with this.

Oh and did I say he was a terrible player? I said he sucked last year. His form since his B&F has gone downhill.

Anyway, I feel like I’m hitting my head against a brick wall with you.
Well, if you're saying he's an average player and I'm saying he's an above average ruck (which isn't great), why the f*ck are we arguing?

The problem with ROB isn’t so much his ruck work. It’s not elite, but it’s around the mark of a competitive ruckman. However, in today’s footy every player needs to be versatile. So the issue I find in ROB is that his versatility isn’t up to standard. His glaring weaknesses from general observations:
  • not as good when the ball goes to ground. In fact, I hardly see him crumb the ball off the ground.
  • after a mark, he rarely plays on with a quick kick, which often slows the forward chains of play. Or he’s looking to quick give with a handball which makes him somewhat predictable.
  • up forward, he becomes more a liability rather productivity with poor goal kicking.

The “average rucks” from the better teams usually all have good versatility. So whilst they might lose in the ruck department, but they can beat the opposition ruck in other aspects of field play. With Rob, you’re getting roughly a 50/50 in the ruck tap, maybe a 60/50 in the contested marking. But then every other aspect of field play, I reckon ROB is likely to be losing out in varying degrees.

Even Port's Finlayson outshone ROB in 2022. Ponder on that

Care to elaborate on that?

Both times we played Port ROB spanked their rucks Lycett and Finlayson, especially Finlayson in that game...

PlayerKHBDMGBTHOGAI50CLCGR50FFFAAFSC

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've always wondered why a coach hasn't tried just going with four midfielders and not playing a ruckman.

From what I can tell there's nothing in the rules that state you have to have a player actually contest the ruck.

Just have four mids and rove off the opposition ruckman.

Obviously knowing the AFL if someone were to try it with some success they'd just change the rules on the fly to outlaw it.
If it backfires (and it probably would) the coach would lose all credibility. Imagine trying to explain that to a potential future employer in a job interview. Would take giant balls to be the pioneer who tries that for the first time.

Speaking of Rucks, has Keiran found the AFC weights room yet? I feel like he look exactly the same as he did 3 years ago.

Kid put on muscle about as fast as ROB learns tap work.

If it backfires (and it probably would) the coach would lose all credibility. Imagine trying to explain that to a potential future employer in a job interview. Would take giant balls to be the pioneer who tries that for the first time.

I am of the view that if you try something and it fails at least you've tried something.

Most of the best coaches in history are out of the box thinkers.

I have heard Malcolm Blight quite a few times talk about the only bad losses being losses where you don't walk away learning anything.

Blight has often said that if he was still coaching he would get the players to hold their positions like they did traditionally. I remember him saying it to David Wildy one night and Wildy instantly dismissed it and said it would never work and Blight responded with, how do you know that it wouldn't work, has anyone actually tried it?

I certainly wouldn't hold it against a coach if they did something completely out of the box, even if it backfired at least they had the balls to try something.

Care to elaborate on that?

Both times we played Port ROB spanked their rucks Lycett and Finlayson, especially Finlayson in that game...

Across the season even Finlayson, generally acknowledged as a bit of a spud, got much more plaudits than ROB. Its not just overall hitouts or dinky handballs, most of which don't go to advantage anyway, its general play and contribution to the team.
We need a ruckman whose taps advantage the team, can contribute meaningfully in general play, and can actually kick a football properly now and then. I'd even take back the old ROB who could intercept mark and apply 2nd efforts to the ground ball.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back