Analysis Rucks, do they matter and does ours suck?

Remove this Banner Ad

I made jpegs of the hit-out stats for all our 2022 games. I can post them here if you want. Might make the thread a bit image heavy though. Up to you.

I made them to help me with tipping. The plan was that if I came across a 50/50 and couldn't decide, I'd check to see how likely ROB is to get pansted by his opponent.

Last edited:

Like wingers, and small forwards, a great one is worth their weight in gold, but teams have won it all making do with average role players in these positions.

ROB is an ok ruck, however, he also has badly stagnated since 2019/2020.

My favourite part of the ruck analysis is the mental gymnastics that goes with assessing their worth.

If a side has a good one and they don’t make or win the GF, “see rucks don’t matter”.

If a team wins a GF with a good one, “they had a great midfield”

If a team wins one with an average ruck “see you don’t need one”

Basically a ruck can’t win, very little consideration or focus is given to the rest of the team, it’s the ruck.

How much did having a decent ruck help that team make the GF? Would a team having a better ruck have helped them go further or win it?

I find the whole devaluing of rucks simplistic and I’d rather have a decent one than an average one.

You don’t need a star but think you need a competent one who can limit their direct opponent and has a presence around the ground.

Having a solid vanilla ruckmen might actually be the preference if they’re on modest contract.

However ROB is probably being paid more than I would want to pay an average trot ruckmen.

And that’s for when he is in ok form. At times last year his poor footy IQ and his slow kicking technique made him a complete liability in general play.

Simple really .....if "good" rucks weren't valued, MELB wouldn't have chased Grundy ....and FREO wouldn't have chased Luke Jackson

Nor would West Coast attempted to get Jackson .....GEEL wouldn't be trading for rucks every year to get a good one

Good RUCKS are hard to find though ......we should have chased Meek !

You don’t need a star but think you need a competent one who can limit their direct opponent and has a presence around the ground.

Having a solid vanilla ruckmen might actually be the preference if they’re on modest contract.

However ROB is probably being paid more than I would want to pay an average trot ruckmen.

And that’s for when he is in ok form. At times last year his poor footy IQ and his slow kicking technique made him a complete liability in general play.
He'd be in our top 3 highest paid for sure.

Last edited:
Simple really .....if "good" rucks weren't valued, MELB wouldn't have chased Grundy ....and FREO wouldn't have chased Luke Jackson

Nor would West Coast attempted to get Jackson .....GEEL wouldn't be trading for rucks every year to get a good one

Good RUCKS are hard to find though ......we should have chased Meek !
Yet when I suggested rookieing big Lloydy some years ago after he was overlooked the previous year I got rubbished on here....and I'd bet I'd seen more of him than any on this board, same with Rowan Marshall...

Will never forget the stick Sanders gave me over Sean Darcy either....he doesn't look so clever now.

Yet when I suggested rookieing big Lloydy some years ago after he was overlooked the previous year I got rubbished on here....and I'd bet I'd seen more of him than any on this board, same with Rowan Marshall...

Will never forget the stick Sanders gave me over Sean Darcy either....he doesn't look so clever now.
Sounds a bit like “Alex Gate”🤭

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He'd be in the top 3 highest paid for sure.
I seriously doubt that, Gawn, Grundy and Nic Nat would be on more and so would Luke Jackson now he's signed with Freo, I suspect Witts would be on good coin now too who we chased but got beat by the Suns for his autograph.

Either does Hamish ;)

I heard somewhere he was top 3 highest paid but I don't remember where so take it with a grain of salt.

6-7 would still be pretty bad.
I reckon Tex, Sloane, Laird , Dawson, and Rankine would be ahead and maybe Smith too.

After that couldnt probably lose 150-200k and still be in the top 10

Remove this Banner Ad

Back