Rules of the game - How to successfully make the game more open and attacking?

Remove this Banner Ad

Why don’t we award teams 3 points for taking a specy? Or a goal on the boundary is worth 9 points? And you’d no doubt want the super goal introduced as well? And we could even play with 2 balls for 5 mins each quarter so both teams can score at the same time!
be serious, we need a moneyball in the last quarter and each score is double.

Letting the game evolve is what the AFL did in allowing interchange numbers to go through the roof, which in turn helped create this congestion on the field...
AFL should be entertaining and free flowing... not a hybrid game of rugby union.[100% correct]
There is nothing wrong with tinkering the rules... in fact I'd argue the AFL have been extremely slow in reacting to on field congestion considering it was starting to be a topic of discussion in the early 2010s.[2005!]
The AFL (Demetriou) in 2005 took the almost unprecedented position of publicly attacking the stoppages/congestion/ scrappy low scoring style of Sydney -well before 2010.

We need to revert to two on the bench only (who are substitutes only -exceptions for the Blood Rule and head knocks/concussion tests). Onballers can rest in the pockets as they did for c. 100 years -& before the 1920's, there were no subs.! This will eliminate the "freshlegs" introduced by the expanded bench & interchange -makes prolonged flooding impossible.

We need to revert to a game of 18 vs 18; & we do NOT want the least skilled 21st & 22nd player getting a game. It is a better spectacle to see the MOST skilled 18 players showing their AF wares.

A further very simple tinkering Rule change would be that the Boundary Umpire- instead of throwing the ball back from the BOUNDARY line- moves 25 metres on the field of play closer to the centre circle (the current Rule requires the BU to always throw the ball back directly in the line to the centre circle). This would increase the area of play/open it up, slightly reducing congestion.

Last edited:
The AFL (Demetriou) in 2005 took the almost unprecedented position of publicly attacking the stoppages/congestion/ scrappy low scoring style of Sydney -well before 2010.

We need to revert to two on the bench only (who are substitutes only -exceptions for the Blood Rule and head knocks/concussion tests). Onballers can rest in the pockets as they did for c. 100 years -& before the 1920's, there were no subs.! This will eliminate the "freshlegs" introduced by the expanded bench & interchange -makes prolonged flooding impossible.

We need to revert to a game of 18 vs 18; & we do NOT want the least skilled 21st & 22nd player getting a game. It is a better spectacle to see the MOST skilled 18 players showing their AF wares.

A further very simple tinkering Rule change would be that the Boundary Umpire- instead of throwing the ball back from the boundary line- moves 25 metres on the field of play closer to the centre circle (the current Rule requires the BU to always throw the ball back directly in the line to the centre circle). This would increase the area of play/open it up, slightly reducing congestion.

Have the opposite boundary umpire throw in another ball in immediately on the opposite wing position?

When a Liberal Federal government is in power it's dryer in the country.

Increase rotations increase congestion, are they linked?

We have reduced the rotations but congestion has increased.

If you reduced rotations to 0, teams will still flood and put numbers around the ball.

having a goal square that goes from behind post to behind post and out an extra say 5m at the front would be ok.
however, still need existing square marked up so that when someone takes a mark in that traditional square they get put straight in front of goal for the kick at goal.
This is so unnecessary. Players often take short kicks, or play on from the square to hit the 70m from goal mark. AFL gone bonkers.

How about this for a thought?

When the AFL changed the protected area from 5 meters to 10 they policed this by mowing 10 meter squares into the grass to make it easier to police.

So my thought is why don't they mow 20 meter squares into the grounds and at a stoppage only 4x players from each team are allowed within that 20mtr square until the ball is either cleared away or hits the deck and if we are going to go down the path of 4x central umpires this will help this will be easier to umpire and also if its close to the boundary the boundary umpire can call any free kick for an intrusion on that area.

Couple that with 6x players 3 in defensive 50 & 3 in attacking 50 from each team who have to be inside a 50 mtr arch at a stoppage and change the interchange down to 60 per match and watch it open up then!

The best immediate move is for the umpires to start paying a few more free kicks.....they simply let players get away with too much....holding the ball and push in the back are ignored too often.

Watch the umpires from the 80s. Blew the whistle quickly when congested, and/or paid HTB and incorrect disposal brutally. Players get way too long which add to congestion.
They also bounced it/ threw it up in half a second...bad luck if ruckman weren’t there.

And to bring back aerial skill and reward what was once a brilliant unique attaching skill in our game - the high mark - and this will sound ridiculous at first, but take using the hands on your opponent out of all marking contests. Any use of the hands on the other player in marking contest is a free kick. It takes a lot of the guessing out for umpires when they’re not sure who is holding, blocking etc.
Try it next time when having a kick with your mates and see what happens. It quickly turns into a run and jump contest where reading the flight and /or early body positioning is crucial. A good aerial player doubles in value esp up forward

The tangling of arms, wrestling , holding etc which Silvagni took to a new level in the late 80s/ early 90s to combat Lockett, Ablett, Dunstall, Modra,Carey etc has got out of control.
But take the use of hands out and watch players being forced to fly for the ball again.

Couple that with 6x players 3 in defensive 50 & 3 in attacking 50 from each team who have to be inside a 50 mtr arch at a stoppage and change the interchange down to 60 per match and watch it open up then!
60 would still be way too many. Has to be 30 or 40 to start to really make rotations not a thing.

Now this isn't a thread debating if anything should be done as I think we all know by now that something is going to happen, that the AFL are going to make changes. This thread is to debate what those changes should be and whether or not you think they will work?

This is the bit that concerns me. What's the justification for change?

Where's the data to show that anything needs to change? Attendance is up. Participation in community, junior and female comps are all up. Scores are only down for dud teams. The good teams are scoring more this season.

If it's TV ratings, then that's the fixture and the scheduling by Ch7 - not the game itself.

What are they trying to achieve anyway? How will they know if any changes are successful? Measure the density of players around the football? And how exactly does that mean the game is prettier? Does the game even need to be prettier?

Most concerning - where is the consultation with us poor mugs who fund the game with memberships, merch and tickets?

The AFL has suggested several rule tweaks, including extending the length of the goalsquare for kick-outs to 25m and teams fielding six players in the three zones of the ground at centre bounces.

Among the other options are fewer interchange rotations – they were slashed from 120 to 90 ahead of the 2016 season – and reducing the number of players on the field to 16 per side.
So that is not AFL it is some new game but it is not Aussie Rules....They want 4 Umpires in the middle 2 goal umpires each end and 4 Boundary umpires. What a joke this is ....this Stephen (hack footballer) Hocking is going to be an unmitigated disaster for this current game. Gil (Nancy boy) McFloppin needs to be tossed to the wind. What the Fcuk is going on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

60 would still be way too many. Has to be 30 or 40 to start to really make rotations not a thing.
I agree. As a starting point before we go drastically implementing zones, interchange should be cut to 30-40. See how that works and how teams react. I predict we'll see players resting in the forward line and not crowding contests.

A further very simple tinkering Rule change would be that the Boundary Umpire- instead of throwing the ball back from the BOUNDARY line- moves 25 metres on the field of play closer to the centre circle (the current Rule requires the BU to always throw the ball back directly in the line to the centre circle). This would increase the area of play/open it up, slightly reducing congestion.
A lot of what you say makes sense. They shoulda left the game alone from the get go.
But now lets bastard it some more.
Last team touch accidental move the ball 20 metres up the line for a throw in sounds good.
The goal square 10 metres longer so kick ins can clear to wider part of the ground.
Allow players to throw so the ball can clear congestion easier .

I agree. As a starting point before we go drastically implementing zones, interchange should be cut to 30-40. See how that works and how teams react. I predict we'll see players resting in the forward line and not crowding contests.
I agree, as feel rotations abolished and interchange is the one clear factor we got to fix.
  1. However, zones are already implemented by coaching staff. I am not against starting positions as it pulls coached 18 man stoppage zones apart to a large extent, that are purposely set up to congest space.
  2. But needs to be trialled whether it truly can be umpired correctly for every ruck contest stoppage around the ground. If it cannot or slows play up too much we can only do it at centre bounces after every goal.
  3. Get Carlton and Saints to do a full trial of it when they play each other next and shown for fans on tv. Only takes the two club to agree to play to those conditions for the night. Steve Hocking should see whether clubs out of finals race, playing against each other up for it as unofficial trial of these playing conditions.

I agree, as feel rotations abolished and interchange is the one clear factor we got to fix.
  1. However, zones are already implemented by coaching staff. I am not against starting positions as it pulls coached 18 man stoppage zones apart to a large extent, that are purposely set up to congest space.
  2. But needs to be trialled whether it truly can be umpired correctly for every ruck contest stoppage around the ground. If it cannot or slows play up too much we can only do it at centre bounces after every goal.
  3. Get Carlton and Saints to do a full trial of it when they play each other next and shown for fans on tv. Only takes the two club to agree to play to those conditions for the night. Steve Hocking should see whether clubs out of finals race, playing against each other up for it as unofficial trial of these playing conditions.

I just feel like this an easy fix by getting rid of interchanges completely however the AFL and their team are most likely going to out smart themselves and make it a completely different game altogether.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How about two subs for injuries only........And then 4 subs per quarter (one per player). That would make subs more tactical and more meaning full.
This way Teams that cop a couple of enjuries early are not penalised by loosing rotations.

Lets get rid of all the assistant coaches and have head coach and 2 assistants. Players are to busy trying to adhere to structures and processes that is being drummed into them at training. It would allow the natural footballers to take back the game from the athletes.

Making pre season games first to 100 pts would stop teams practising the defensive crap we get now

Good Evening ladies, gentlemen, trolls and lurkers.

Its time to address the elephant in the room - bonus points.

While people are worried about rule changes to fix low scoring, congested footy, I propose to make an impact on the ladder.

Super Duper Rugby do this and, despite SANZAAR's total incompetence to make a sustainable competition , this is in fact a highlight.

It also means that the ladder becomes a lot less predictable. Because by round 13, 14, 15 you have a pretty set picture of who is in the 8 and those chasing the last position have to do some awfully specific things to make it (read: win 7/7 Adelaide you incompetent knobs).

I digress.

The most important aspect is that it rewards attacking play. Kick 100? BONUS POINT!

Kick 130? 2 BONUS POINTS.

we can also reward teams for belting others- win by 50? Have a point, champ.

Now I know what you are thinking. How the * does this help Carlton? They will be spooners 4ever.

Well, some leagues reward teams who dont lose by too much with....A BONUS POINT.

So if you lose by 20 or less - BONUS POINT (so dont give up in a match when you are down 5 goals cos you can still get a ladder impact).

So for Carlton, using these rules, instead of 4 points, they would be on.....5 POINTS.

Ok so you cant help everyone but in the main it really does reward attacking play and gives the ladder a shake up.

Throw your fruit in 3...2..1...

Nup
The aim of the H/A season is to win enough games to get a good starting spot in September. In AFLX sure, no problem.

Restrict opposition to under 50 = Bonus point

Score more than 100 = Bonus point

I like it, but I'm a Rugby lad at heart!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back