Rules of the game - How to successfully make the game more open and attacking?

Remove this Banner Ad

Hey, if you got no vision or ideas then don't add anything to the thread thanks.

In 200 years time the states will have separated and South Australia will be a 3rd world country incapable of competing in the VFL.

So will victoria without us shouldering the financial load

Pffft, you'd still need the intelligentsia of this nation to instruct you how to wipe your backsides.

After all, we gave you your culture in the first place.

Eight clubs.

New York, London, Los Angeles, Barcelona, Singapore, Sydney, St Kilda and the moon.

Most of those cities will be underwater by 2200.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remind me, how do you do that again?

The place would still be a whaling station and a post office, if it wasn't for us.

Now they're carrying on as if they invented the wheel.

Let's play a game.

Let's pretend the AFL is dying. And it isn't popular, and young kids aren't gravitating towards it like they did in the old days.

And you are the CEO in charge of restructuring the competition from the ground up. Not just the rules, but the very foundations of the game from how many teams are in the comp to where the matches are played and how many matches there are to where the gf is played to how many players per team, interchange rules if you think that's important.

Whatever it may be, that would make you think the competition will be in a better place 200 years from now.

Personally I dont think the AFL have done a very good job of transitioning into a professional sport and it's ties to the VFL are too strong leading to an uneven competition and oversaturation of financially unsustainable teams in Melbourne.

Let's be honest. It's still the VFL and the interstate clubs just get to play in it.

And if they wanted to do what's best for the game for 200 yrs from now it would be very easy imo.

I would axe and or merge all of north, Carlton, saints, bulldogs, gold coast, gws. That's 3 less teams if you merge 1 with 1. Move one of those merged teams to tassie.

That's 15 teams and 14 matches a yr. You either play every team once with no byes and have a best of 3 finals every finals round. Or play every team twice for 28 match season once at home and once away and keep the current finals format and bye FORMAT.

I would still keep the gf a Saturday day game at the G for the next 200 yrs as well.. What can I say, I'm a stickler for tradition. :)

That would look like a much healthier, financially sustainable, professional product than that of which we get today.

... And don't worry. You don't have to like my ideas. I'm not asking you to.

But what I am asking is: What changes would YOU make to the game to make it more professional and sustainable for the next 200 years?
Port Adelaide FC will be preparing for its 350th anniversary .

Remind me, how do you do that again?
39 billion sent east in the last ten years chump

<<<
A breakdown of the commission’s rulings since 2006 and the State’s mining royalties reveals $39 billion that swelled WA coffers was lost in the annual GST carve-up.

Victoria has been the biggest winner from the WA mining boom, prompting calls from the mining sector to change the grants commission process.>>>

Port Adelaide FC will be preparing for its 350th anniversary .
200+21 = 350.

Yep. Don't send your kids to school in Alberton. No one cares about port Adelaide, we're talking port power. The afl side. The one in the big leagues. Not the magoos team.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back