Running Thread - Join our Strava Club!

Remove this Banner Ad

Hope we are all well and running well, sheesh the ol heat and humidity kicks up the sweat factor doesn't it!
Since we are all also shoe addicts I thought i would point out that black friday sales are starting and any good deals or prices would be appreciated by all if shared here!

New Balance sales are up already, noteworthy is it includes the new SC Elite v3, SC Trainer, Rebel v3 and FF More v4 models. All 20% off RRP.

New Balance sales are up already, noteworthy is it includes the new SC Elite v3, SC Trainer, Rebel v3 and FF More v4 models. All 20% off RRP.

I've got the RC Elite 2, which I think is the old version of the SC Elite yeah? Just rebranded.. Got the shoe stupidly cheap with that Running Warehouse code you shared the other month, or if not you that someone shared.. Great shoe, just really enjoying it and wearing it most weekends on the longer stuff... Also have the SC trainer, again love it... Has me wondering if I'm wearing carbon plated shoes too often for what I do though haha

I've got the RC Elite 2, which I think is the old version of the SC Elite yeah? Just rebranded.. Got the shoe stupidly cheap with that Running Warehouse code you shared the other month, or if not you that someone shared.. Great shoe, just really enjoying it and wearing it most weekends on the longer stuff... Also have the SC trainer, again love it... Has me wondering if I'm wearing carbon plated shoes too often for what I do though haha

Yeah apparently the SC Elite v3 is the successor to the RC Elite v2. Was reading a review on it, apparently the SC Elite is a faster shoe but still quite comfortable.

I got the RC Elite v2 on sale from RW and have enjoyed it as a long run option that's comfy and pretty versatile pace-wise.

FWIW I'd probably be comfortable wearing carbon plated shoes for key sessions e.g. workouts / long run and do anything else in something like the Invincible or 1080.

I've used the Speed for workouts all year but feel the v3 has become a bit less aggressive so am feeling like maybe I want to use the RC Elite for those too.

Didn't know this thread existed!

I like running. I did Melbourne Marathon this year (which was my first marathon). I've done a few halves, too. I used to do City 2 Surf each year, and I finally qualified for the red group which I was stoked about. I also do Parkrun most Saturdays (just ran a 22:22 5k PB the other week).

I run generally in Brooks Ghost shoes. Brooks have given me no pain, so I don't plan on changing anytime soon.

Afterglow 13k this Saturday night... Hopefully the rain stays away but I'm not confident, so hopefully it's not too s**t and the sand isn't too s**t... Ideally it's all washed away that section edge of the cliffs before Torquay!

Am studying abroad in London at the moment, and the 'new surroundings' effect has certainly helped with my running. Didn't care much for long distances previously, but since the footy season has been over, I've found myself regularly running over 10km a couple of times per week. My PB's have shot through the roof as well, I ran a half marathon the other day in 1:35 (about 4.30 per km). Considering that the two I had previously done this year hadn't reached below 1:48, this was completely out of the blue for me.

I've had a real focus on leg strength and power in the gym since I got here in September, so I'm wondering how much of a factor that is. I generally struggled to improve my PB's over the last couple of years, so these improvements are a surprise. Either that or I clearly prefer running along the Thames than the Maribyrnong.

Am studying abroad in London at the moment, and the 'new surroundings' effect has certainly helped with my running. Didn't care much for long distances previously, but since the footy season has been over, I've found myself regularly running over 10km a couple of times per week. My PB's have shot through the roof as well, I ran a half marathon the other day in 1:35 (about 4.30 per km). Considering that the two I had previously done this year hadn't reached below 1:48, this was completely out of the blue for me.

I've had a real focus on leg strength and power in the gym since I got here in September, so I'm wondering how much of a factor that is. I generally struggled to improve my PB's over the last couple of years, so these improvements are a surprise. Either that or I clearly prefer running along the Thames than the Maribyrnong.

I’ve done a lot of running along the Thames Path, both west and east. It’s a great and interesting spot for a run. Enjoy!

I realise the Black Friday/Cyber Monday sales have been and gone, but Running Warehouse just dropped the latest colourway in the Deviate Nitro
rs.php

Retail, $299, found a discount code for 15% off, $254.96.
SUNSUPER15

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hey, I’m intending to run the capital city trail in Melbourne.

Is it well sign posted? Or should I take a map? Any pros and cons to which direction I take?

Any advice appreciated!

Hey, I’m intending to run the capital city trail in Melbourne.

Is it well sign posted? Or should I take a map? Any pros and cons to which direction I take?

Any advice appreciated!

pretty well signed and paved.
i generally start at the morell bridge and run the main yarra trail which i think is better.

first run for the year is in the books. it gives me a weekly total of 36k (4 runs, long of 10)...my biggest week since May 2020.

no goals or race plans, just happy to be mostly healthy and not completely unfit.

happy trails for 2023 :)

First run this morning too around sunrise, was fun seeing all the drunkenness along the St Kilda foreshore, so happy I wasn't one of them!

I had a couple month off due to a new puppy and a chest infection so this was my first week back, 2x8k and 1x10km, being around 3kg heavier too I can't say I've loved my pace, anyway a couple clean months to start the year and I'll be back better than before.

Very early plans for 2023, subject to alteration big time

EARLY MARCH: Port Macquarie (Treble again, 21+10+5)
MID MARCH: Wangaratta (Marathon, hopefully the groin issues don't show up this time having limped through kms 11-21 before pulling the plug last year)
APRIL: Canberra (Marathon, same again with groin issues)
MAY: Rocky River Run (probably Half)
JUNE: Comrades (pending successful qualification being sub 4:50 mara in either Wang or CBR, still have to work out best connecting port prior to Joburg travel wise being either Sydney, Perth, Singapore, Doha, Abu Dhabi or Dubai)
JULY: Gold Coast (Double, Half Saturday -> Full Sunday)
AUGUST: Sydney City2Surf (pending footy, finances and work commitments, won't do if either working, funds need to be saved or footy finals get in the way)
SEPTEMBER: EITHER Sydney Half or City-Bay Half in Adelaide. Leaning towards Adelaide as I tend to do Sydney every second year
OCTOBER: Melbourne (October 15 this year, later than the norm which had been week after GF)
NOVEMBER: Point to Pinnacle Hobart (running in non-running gear)

Also considering doing Singapore pending the date, costs and work commitments, but at this stage it's unlikely. Probably going to do Auckland in 2024 again and do this properly either taking the week off before or the week off after the race. If I don't do Singapore then perhaps I'll do the Cadbury Marathon again in 2024 (too soon to do 2023 which is next Sunday). Perth City to Surf is returning but with no marathon or half marathon it's not worth crossing the country for just a 12km race.

Haven't been able to run properly since the MS Walk/Run at Flemington back in late August.
I had a terrible run that day but I put it down to wearing a brand new pair of Adios Pro 2 that I hadn't worn prior.
A week later, just a casual training run in Albert Park along Beaconsfield Parade turned into excruciating pain in my left knee that swelled up like a grapefruit the next day. Rest, Ice, etc etc and I'm lining up for the MM 1/2 marathon heavily strapped. After 2k's I was in trouble and pulling 7min per k instead of 5min like I should've. Made it to 10k then pulled out and did the walk of shame back to the runner's village.
Anyway, long story short, thought a few solid weeks rest would help but every effort at a light run resulted in pain within the first klm.
Bought expensive Bauerfiend knee braces which helped by about 10% but still couldn't avoid pain.
Bit the bullet, went to the Doc and a subsequent MRI showed a 10mm tear in my left medial meniscus.
Enter Doctor Google and hundreds of hours of viewing YouTube videos on meniscus injuries, strapping, recovery etc.
I've added that many supplements to my shakes now in a desperate attempt to find a magic bullet.
Anyway, my attempt at a casual 5k run yesterday ended in more pain, (despite the guaranteed strapping method i applied courtesy of Sportside Medical Services on YouTube).
I had an epiphany as I was limping back to my car, I need to just stop running, work on strengthening the surrounding muscles, pivot my training towards cycling and weight training and complete any PT to attempt to get back to race running by around May/June.
This was a bitter pill to take as running for me, like a lot of us I'd imagine, provides great mental health benefits for me but now I almost feel like I'm not part of the community anymore and I'm not a runner. I love calling myself a runner because it's something that's not particularly easy but something I love doing.
So, I have 2 pairs of Puma Deviate Elite and a pair of Adizero Prime X ($210 on UpThere Athletic's website last week) that haven't been used just waiting for my beaten up old legs to take them for a spin :drunk:

My question, after getting all of that off my chest, is have any of you had a meniscus issue that's keep you off your feet for a while and what treatment did you do and have you gotten back to full strength?

Thanks for listening

Edit: here's the Prime X link if you've got leftover Xmas cash adizero Prime X - Linen Green/Core Black/Beam Yellow

Haven't been able to run properly since the MS Walk/Run at Flemington back in late August.
I had a terrible run that day but I put it down to wearing a brand new pair of Adios Pro 2 that I hadn't worn prior.
A week later, just a casual training run in Albert Park along Beaconsfield Parade turned into excruciating pain in my left knee that swelled up like a grapefruit the next day. Rest, Ice, etc etc and I'm lining up for the MM 1/2 marathon heavily strapped. After 2k's I was in trouble and pulling 7min per k instead of 5min like I should've. Made it to 10k then pulled out and did the walk of shame back to the runner's village.
Anyway, long story short, thought a few solid weeks rest would help but every effort at a light run resulted in pain within the first klm.
Bought expensive Bauerfiend knee braces which helped by about 10% but still couldn't avoid pain.
Bit the bullet, went to the Doc and a subsequent MRI showed a 10mm tear in my left medial meniscus.
Enter Doctor Google and hundreds of hours of viewing YouTube videos on meniscus injuries, strapping, recovery etc.
I've added that many supplements to my shakes now in a desperate attempt to find a magic bullet.
Anyway, my attempt at a casual 5k run yesterday ended in more pain, (despite the guaranteed strapping method i applied courtesy of Sportside Medical Services on YouTube).
I had an epiphany as I was limping back to my car, I need to just stop running, work on strengthening the surrounding muscles, pivot my training towards cycling and weight training and complete any PT to attempt to get back to race running by around May/June.
This was a bitter pill to take as running for me, like a lot of us I'd imagine, provides great mental health benefits for me but now I almost feel like I'm not part of the community anymore and I'm not a runner. I love calling myself a runner because it's something that's not particularly easy but something I love doing.
So, I have 2 pairs of Puma Deviate Elite and a pair of Adizero Prime X ($210 on UpThere Athletic's website last week) that haven't been used just waiting for my beaten up old legs to take them for a spin :drunk:

My question, after getting all of that off my chest, is have any of you had a meniscus issue that's keep you off your feet for a while and what treatment did you do and have you gotten back to full strength?

Thanks for listening

Edit: here's the Prime X link if you've got leftover Xmas cash adizero Prime X - Linen Green/Core Black/Beam Yellow
I reckon you should ask a physio first, good luck

Thanks for listening

I swear I had a meniscus issue when I played footy 15/16 years ago... A few from meo, but they were small tears where it was catching.. I could get moving in a straight line but couldn't turn at all. For what that was I had multiple physio appointments where they treated it with untrasound, basically the way it was explained was its a really slow healing area because not much blood flow, the ultrasound heat draws blood to the area or some and gets it healing (I'm probably remembering it completely wrong) but basically go see a physio is best. Hopefully it's a quick fix when you get it actually sorted and you don't need a clean out via an arthroscope.

I went for my first run of the year yesterday as well, just an easy 30ish mind... First couple of Ks were super cruisy and then my HR started climbing as the temp climbing and impacts of the beer and pizza I'd the day before came back to me 😂 so was happy to finish up and pissed out sweat for a fair while after haha.

Anyway my plans at this stage are the Run Melbourne Half and the Melbourne Marathon full.. Was going to do the Werribee Mansion Half as well but it's been postponed at this stage.. I've learnt I much more enjoy the long runs than shorter stuff so training for the Bellarine Sunset Half but I hate that run so I'm not actually to do it I don't think, unless morning of it it's cool and not windy I may do a race day entry

Thanks for listening

As someone has said; see a physio and see what they have for you.

But more generally I’m a fan of kneesovertoesguy for lower body stuff, he’s a big proponent on working from the ankle / foot upwards as the stronger the muscles lower down are, the less load ends up higher up the chain.

You don’t have to subscribe to get the basics of the exercises or find the basic program and most of the exercises (and the philosophy behind them) can be integrated along with a normal strength programme.

I completely get all this and fully understand what you say with "feel like I'm not part of the run community anymore".

On top of some pretty bad arthritis, my lateral meniscus (left knee) was in bad shape and while I kept running and/off for over a year (early Jan 2019 to early Mar 2020) it was painful, frustrating and slow and while my group kept me included I had to withdraw from that many group runs that the sense of belonging did wain.

I had/have a great running physio and we tried all the non surgical options of strength & conditioning for all associated areas but in the end the mechanics of the tear just meant the knee was locking up regardless and I had to get it cleaned up.

The positive is that the surgery went well, the joy of recovery was amazing....even starting slow and walking, to walk/jogging, to jog/walking...jogging, running.... running further, running faster... It was like achieving an entire new set of PBs again. Absolutely HAVE to keep doing the S&C to supplement though, it's amazing how much benefit you get from it. Even now if I drop off I can recognise pretty quickly that my body will start feeling ordinary again.

The sense of belonging returns pretty quickly too.

Everyone is different and has a different path but don't lose hope as things can turn. Wish you the best 🙌

Back around the black Friday sales I was just looking for good deals as you do, somehow found myself on that RunnerInn site with Puma Deviate Nitro 2 on sale for $164.. Was $22 shipping but I use that Honey plug in at work that found and applied a coupon for $24 off so it made the shipping free and the shoes slightly cheaper.. I excitedly pulled the trigger and ordered some, sizes had to converted to US sizing so I knew it was from Europe.

Was potentially reckless as I normally research the site first and can be wary, I got overexcited by the price and just ordered.

Then I read the reviews, which are by and large absolutely terrible... Not like the shoes aren't legit, just shipping is terrible and they often never show....But I figured I'd paid via PayPal so worst case I'd complain and they'd get the money back anyway.

Got sent a shipping number which reassuringly had a photo of the parcel, and waited... And waited... And waited... I think it was about 10 days after the order they said shipped, about 20 days after that they'd arrived in the country.
Then the geniuses at Aus Post attempted delivery in Wodonga, I'm in Geelong... Lodged a request to follow up a touch panicked because it was saying return to sender. Aus Post could see the address I had was correct on their end and they had no idea how it had ended up going out for delivery in the wrong town..
This was December 23..

Shoes arrived today, well it's after midnight.. So yesterday.. With some trepidation I ripped open the bag, and the box looked like it had had the s**t kicked out of it.. But inside the shoes were in absolutely perfect new as they should be condition.

Couldn't wait to get home to try them on and go test them out,
First impressions trying on... These feel bloody awesome, light, comfy but good pop.. Like I'd go as far as saying they are the most "Ohh wow nice" feeling I've had as a first impression for a shoe.. Obviously no running or anything and that is the test but just feel on foot stuff.

Went out for 7.5k and wowee absolutely blown away, they just felt absolutely fantastic.. I cruised along quicker than I planned or expected but felt good the entire way. Comfy right out of the box. Could not be happier, happy to cop the delays getting them cos I mean Xmas and they were $120 cheaper than retail here

And they look sick, apologies for the long post but it's been quite the wait and adventure! Had been keen to try some Pumas, don't think these will disappoint (and to be fair literally every review I read on the shoe or YT I watched was glowing in praise for them)

received_704784781170847.jpeg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back