Running Thread - Join our Strava Club!

Remove this Banner Ad

How long would you guys that have done marathons before run for your long run 3 weeks out from the race? Trying to plan my running in the week around my wedding day haha
The guys that I've trained with did their last big long run a month out, and then cut down each week... so 2h30, 2h, 90mins, race. Still need to get some work done, otherwise you'll feel lethargic and race like s**t

So tempted to enter the Melbourne Marathon in October. I'll be 43 by then..... feel like the clock is ticking. Longest run is still only 23kms though. I've entered Wonderland 20km in August and have been running to a Marathon plan for about the past 6 weeks but still haven't been able to pull the trigger and hit enter.

Plan on putting in a solid month's running in June supplemented by no grog :eek: and a food diary and see where I end up in a month's time.

So tempted to enter the Melbourne Marathon in October. I'll be 43 by then..... feel like the clock is ticking. Longest run is still only 23kms though. I've entered Wonderland 20km in August and have been running to a Marathon plan for about the past 6 weeks but still haven't been able to pull the trigger and hit enter.

Plan on putting in a solid month's running in June supplemented by no grog :eek: and a food diary and see where I end up in a month's time.
C'mon mate. Maybe l could do it with you?

w00t! moved past the halfway mark to my goal of 2016 k's in 2016...and with about 3 weeks to spare
the only disclaimer is that the last 120 odd k's have been at MAF pace so im not sure if they should count considering how slow they were, or if they should count for double cause im spending so much more time on my feet.

im starting to think that this Maffetone aerobic heart rate training thing is for people that already run at a decent pace (sub 4 minute k's) and not for plodders like me. all of the major success stories i've read about are from people who where already pretty speedy to begin with.
nevertheless i shall persevere....for now.

the most important thing is that im injury free and running consistently which makes a nice change from the previous 2 years

happy trails peoples :)

im starting to think that this Maffetone aerobic heart rate training thing is for people that already run at a decent pace (sub 4 minute k's) and not for plodders like me.

I agree that it seems counterproductive if you are moving so slowly that you can't even run with your regular stride. I found that riding a bike with the Maffetone HR helped. On a bike it is a lot easier to back off when it gets too high. I'd ride for 30 mins turn around and come back. Within a couple of weeks I'd added 5-10km an hour at the same HR.

Are you running on a flat surface? I noticed the slightest elevation (almost imperceptible to the naked eye) would push my heart rate over the limit.
Perhaps you could set the HR slightly higher, so that you can just run with your normal gait, and once you improve there start to bring it down.

Also need to concentrate on breathing. It might be an idea to do some diaphragmatic breathing exercises if you don't already.
I haven't tried it yet, but I've read of African runners that would run 10km+ with a mouthful of water the whole time. The idea was to force them to breathe through their nose.

I agree that it seems counterproductive if you are moving so slowly that you can't even run with your regular stride. I found that riding a bike with the Maffetone HR helped. On a bike it is a lot easier to back off when it gets too high. I'd ride for 30 mins turn around and come back. Within a couple of weeks I'd added 5-10km an hour at the same HR.

Are you running on a flat surface? I noticed the slightest elevation (almost imperceptible to the naked eye) would push my heart rate over the limit.
Perhaps you could set the HR slightly higher, so that you can just run with your normal gait, and once you improve there start to bring it down.

Also need to concentrate on breathing. It might be an idea to do some diaphragmatic breathing exercises if you don't already.
I haven't tried it yet, but I've read of African runners that would run 10km+ with a mouthful of water the whole time. The idea was to force them to breathe through their nose.
its difficult to find a flat stretch to run on in my neighbourhood but i do try to avoid any major inclines cause i inevitably end up walking them.
my understanding is that your HR needs to stay at 180 minus age or the workout becomes anaerobic and the benefits are lost, so i'll just keep going as is and hope for improvement.

with regards to breathing i've been using Ujjayi breath which is a yoga technique that is basically breathing in and out through your nose with the exhale being squeezed down the back of your throat.
the water idea makes sense. i've also heard it suggested that you should inflate your upper lip with air but i already feel like enough of a dick waddling around like a duck without making my face look stupid too.

thanks for all your feedback on this :thumbsu:

no treadmill access?
would have to be a fair storm for me to spend a couple hours on a treadmill! the rest of the group fronted up, so having a few guys around to run with made it a hell of a lot easier. the ones that that waited till the afternoon hoping it would all blow over made it pretty hard for themselves

Mate ran his first marathon last year in melbourne aged 61
You got time

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mate ran his first marathon last year in melbourne aged 61
You got time

Cheers mate yeah I guess so. When I'm 61 I expect to be about 125kg though with knees struggling to hold me up :)

How's things your way anyway Buddy? Your place safe and sound in that big wet you're getting?

Cheers mate yeah I guess so. When I'm 61 I expect to be about 125kg though with knees struggling to hold me up :)

How's things your way anyway Buddy? Your place safe and sound in that big wet you're getting?

Im up the hill so im fine

But bit s**t near the hawks ground here

image.jpeg

Hey all

So, I've finally got back into running after about an 8 month layoff due to some ankle and foot problems. Nothing seemed to help in the end and my scans didn't show anything more than some fluid build up. So it was recommended I get some custom made orthotics made up, since I seem to rolling my foot inwards whilst walking and running.

I've had the orthotics for about 4 weeks now and had a few problems with blisters in my work shoes, so I've been wearing them on and off. Running wise - I've been doing my weekend runs (only about 10km at the moment) without them and tried a couple of smaller runs (2-4km) with them.

The problem is I'm getting blistering on the base of my foot each time I run with them and in a fair bit of pain by the end of it.

I'm wondering if anyone has had any experience with getting new orthotics and how you went about introducing them into your running routine. I'm not sure if I'm doing too much with them too early and the kind of problems I'm having is normal, or whether I need to go back to see my foot person to have them adjusted (which I've done once already).

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Do you wear them in your work shoes? Maybe introduce them there first. Then progress to trainers.

Potentially buy a pair of medial supportive shoes whilst you're getting used to them? Asics kayano/2000, Nike lunar eclipse/structure, saucony guide all very good for that

Longest run ever today (24.2km) and it rained the whole way as well. Felt pretty good most of the way which was great, building up nicely.
Awesome work mate.

Very slow week for me. Just the one run to date. Shithouse head cold & throat. Heading away for the weekend so hoping to wake up better tomorrow to get a couple of runs in.

Anyone doing this in melbourne?

Its on fox sports 2 now

http://www.wingsforlifeworldrun.com/au/en/melbourne/

Just flicking through some pages and saw this. I did it last year and probably wouldn't do it again. Great concept and a great mental challenge, but post race was a mess. Had to wait nearly 30mins roadside for the bus to pick me up, then couldn't get a seat, so I had to stand up, legs cramping, whilst we made 3 or 4 stops for a couple of guys to get off to spew. Was completely wrecked the next day.

Just flicking through some pages and saw this. I did it last year and probably wouldn't do it again. Great concept and a great mental challenge, but post race was a mess. Had to wait nearly 30mins roadside for the bus to pick me up, then couldn't get a seat, so I had to stand up, legs cramping, whilst we made 3 or 4 stops for a couple of guys to get off to spew. Was completely wrecked the next day.
How far did you get mate?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back