Running Thread - Join our Strava Club!

Remove this Banner Ad

I always run on
Head cold... Just rug up tonight and sweat it out. Drink heaps in the morning

Told my wife a running expert on bigfooty has given advice

Man that sucks :( did you do it while running?
Yeah, downhill on a Lofty run my last weekend in Adelaide and tried running through it a couple of times to no avail. Really steep embankment at one point when avoiding a couple of 3 wide weekenders on a two way, single lane trail.

Ah well.

I have used Endura with no problems, but a guy had got me onto using UCAN Super Starch, so I'm going to try it out on a long run Sunday. Half the battle is finding one that doesn't make you s**t through the eye of a needle*

*Have not had this problem yet

What do you guys use in terms of nutrition/gels during really long runs or races?
Just trying to figure out if ill need it to get through the marathon, if so what brands are good?
Pretty sure you'll need stuff to get you through a marathon :p

On my longer trail runs, I do a homemade version, put banana slices, brown sugar, lemon and cinnamon in a zip lock bag and mush it to a gel consistency. Put ziplock bag in elastic bum bag type thing and bite off the corner when the time comes.

Pretty sure you'll need stuff to get you through a marathon :p

On my longer trail runs, I do a homemade version, put banana slices, brown sugar, lemon and cinnamon in a zip lock bag and mush it to a gel consistency. Put ziplock bag in elastic bum bag type thing and bite off the corner when the time comes.
Haha i figured id need something but id talked to a few people who said they just make sure their eating pre race is right and they get through without any sort of nutrition :eek:
Ill just try out some different things over the next few long runs and see how i go :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

10km? I personally haven't consumed anything on long runs, but surely you wouldn't need sustenance that often.

You should be able to go at least 2 hours before you need anything at all.

10km? I personally haven't consumed anything on long runs, but surely you wouldn't need sustenance that often.

You should be able to go at least 2 hours before you need anything at all.
I know a guy that has one before a run and then one every 45min after that :eek: i guess whatever works for the individual. Kind of trialing it now so i dont have to do something new on race day.

I know a guy that has one before a run and then one every 45min after that :eek: i guess whatever works for the individual. Kind of trialing it now so i dont have to do something new on race day.

It took me a long time to realise I can't eat anything hours before performing. Conventional wisdom said I should fuel up, but nothing was working. Felt sluggish, under performing, need vomit, run to the toilet etc. Even saw a nutritionist who wasn't much help. It was only when I started training with a mate at 5:30am that it clicked. I was straight up and on the road. My mind kept telling me that I needed fuel and that I was gonna crash soon. It was only after a few weeks of laziness (snoozing and not getting up to eat/drink) that I realised how good it was. Took a while to overcome the preconception of fueling up.

If I was training by myself and felt no obligation to get going at a certain time, I may still be scratching my head.

I tend not to go for any gels over any type of run. If a snake or a couple of soft lollies are available at about 30km or later I'd go for them. Tried having some sort of energy snack on the 50km DNF this year and couldn't stomach the taste (I thought it would be more of a chocolate than a soft brownie type food). The reason for the DNF however was a knee problem that prevented me from going any quicker than a limp rather than any type of illness. In my first ever marathon (Melbourne 2013) I carried a bottle of gatorade (now I use the personal drink stations) and a whole bag of lollies and ate about 5.

However I tend to stick with fluids on race morning given it's served me well throughout and the only issues I've had have been through injury as opposed to cramp. I also train to run 8-10km before taking on board a drink (VITAL to be able to train to do this as opposed to just doing it on the day), figuring that the first drink station is usually always crowded and the second is slightly better. It's almost at the stage where for the City2Surf in Sydney this year I may not even take a drink for the entire 14km, I only had one last year on the route just after Heartbreak Hill.

Roll call for Gold Coast in 2 weeks - anyone running?

As for this weekend, at least the body seems to feel good, and I've managed a couple of decent efforts (the local half marathon a few weeks ago turned into a 22.8km slog). It's all about sticking to the 4 hour schedule and not trying to hit the go button too early. The change for me this year comes in the travel arrangements. Normally I'd fly down on the Saturday Morning but this year I'm coming down on Friday morning, so I don't feel like I'm rushing (airtrain to Nerang or Robina, onto a bus, walk to the Convention Centre for bib collection, then find the motel or apartment I've booked). Plus the fact that the footy this year on the Coast is an earlier start time than the last 2 years means I'm better off taking the Friday off work to get everything sorted, AND I'll probably get to bed earlier than 11PM knowing I'll need to be on the G-Link early to get a seat (staying at Surfer's) OR revert to Plan B (catch the G-Link heading to Broadbeach, get off, get back on). Just have to keep calm unlike in 2014 when I panicked about waiting for a cab to get to my temporary Nerang base for a drop off at the Convention Centre. Think the energy wasted there ensured a 4:03 rather than a sub 4:00.

the DC Rainmaker annual giveaway has begun. there's something new every 2 hours

i missed the cutoff for the first one which was a Fenix3 HR :(
current giveaway is a 360 degree action cam that i dont care about but theres still another 10 more things for me to win

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/

Remove this Banner Ad

Back