Running Thread - Join our Strava Club!

Remove this Banner Ad

They would definitely help with the blisters. Expensive though, unless you are going to run in them full time. I started out with a cheap ($10) pair of those aqua shoes. The type scuba divers etc wear.

Like this: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-Skin...se-Pool-Beach-Swim-Slip-On-Surf-/380915724460

Had no issues with blisters. Wore to shreds in about 6 months. That was running on concrete as well. At $10 it didn't really matter.

Thanks. I will check them out.

Hope everyone's running is going well. It's been a while since I've read this thread (and posted), so I'd thought I'd see how everyone else is going and give an update on my 2017 so far.

My year has been tracking reasonably well after coming back from a stress fracture at the end of last year.

First of all, I'm (knock on wood) injury free. I'm building up the ks, nearly cracking 60k this week.

Did my first park run ever a few weeks back and nearly broke 18m, which was pretty surprising. Its been pretty difficult for me to get out there on a Saturday with kids' sport, but hopefully I can give it another go some time soon.

I got out for my longest run in a few years today - a tick over 30k at 4.40 pace which was pretty exciting. Left calf is a bit sore, but otherwise pulled up ok.

Race wise - I'm penciled in for Run for the Kids, then looking to do a half around mid year (Anyone got any suggestions? Maybe something a little bit out of Melbourne off road but still pretty flat and fast?). Then looking at my first full later in the year. I'm dreaming about cracking 3 hours but I'm not sure how realistic that is and whether I can put in the time or effort to train. I suspect if I stay healthy, that might give me the motivation I need!

How's everyone else doing? Seems like a few have been struck down or hampered by injury. I know how much that sucks. Hope you get back out there soon!

Hi Guys,

Nice work Rhino. I'm the complete opposite. Hernia op in early December & have struggled to get back since. Had a few issues post surgery & have tried a few times to start running again with a few short jogs but have been pulling up very sire through the pelvis, groins & high up in my hammies for a few months now. Has been very frustrating. Have seen GP, Chiro, Physio & Masseur locally with limited results. Core is still weak from surgery but due to the pain I'm finding even some basic exercises quite difficult. Have an appointment at Olympic Park Sports Medical Centre on Monday week. Hoping l can get some answers & a clear plan to work my way back.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

Hi Guys,

Nice work Rhino. I'm the complete opposite. Hernia op in early December & have struggled to get back since. Had a few issues post surgery & have tried a few times to start running again with a few short jogs but have been pulling up very sire through the pelvis, groins & high up in my hammies for a few months now. Has been very frustrating. Have seen GP, Chiro, Physio & Masseur locally with limited results. Core is still weak from surgery but due to the pain I'm finding even some basic exercises quite difficult. Have an appointment at Olympic Park Sports Medical Centre on Monday week. Hoping l can get some answers & a clear plan to work my way back.

Any advice would be appreciated.

That sucks mate. Hopefully you get some answers soon.

Would recommend the Melbourne Sports Medicine Centre if you have no luck at Olympic Park.

Doing pretty well at the moment, finding running with the new bub pretty good and getting really close to a sub 20min 5k now (20:16). Struggle to get motivated at times but still getting a good 40-45km a week.
Need to register for a race to get myself going though i think.

Struggling a lot to be honest.

Motivation, not injury. Eating too much (junk) and running too little. Feeling lethargic.

In terms of events, at this point have the Run Melb HM late July and Wonderlamd 36km in August.

Struggling a lot to be honest.

Motivation, not injury. Eating too much (junk) and running too little. Feeling lethargic.

In terms of events, at this point have the Run Melb HM late July and Wonderlamd 36km in August.

Tell you what worked for me last time motivation was an issue.

1) purchased a new Garmin with the wrist heart rate and wore the watch everywhere. Download a couple new watch faces for it. It keeps a log of your heart rate and I just logged run after run to try and get my resting HR down and predicted race pace faster

2) join some new Strava groups and try get on their leaderboards

3) find a few Strava segments nearby and try and get into the leaderboard for those

4) keep a training diary where you can see everything you do, like a desk planner. Knowing how s**t it looks when I miss runs due to tiredness/lack of motivation kept me motivated For more

Lots of little actions add up

I'm think of doing a half at the Surf Coast Trail marathon.

Anyone run it before? Thoughts?

From what I gather it's a good introduction to trail running for runners like me who haven't really run it before.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The battery in my forerunner 410 is pretty much cooked. Looks like I missed out on a good deal on the last page the other month. Anyone seen any cheap Garmins around lately? Is the 235 the best option at full RRP v the others? Rebel have it at $349.

Last edited:
The battery in my forerunner 410 is pretty much cooked. Looks like I missed out on a good deal on the last page the other month. Anyone seen any cheap Garmins around lately? Is the 235 the best option at full RRP v the others? Rebel have it at $349.
Thats a bargin. I got the missues the 630 when it was on special for $299 and I can safely say that after using both, Id much rather the 235 still. Having the constant HR analytics has actually helped me out with sorting my sleeping patterns, knowing when im getting sick and making sure i keep moving around at work. I'd get one of those 100%. Wrist HR trumps chest HR for convenience 10 times out of 10

The only thing that would tempt me out of that would be the 935, which is on sale for $499 and does almost every sport known to man - even golf.

Anyone bought the Nike Lunarepics with the high top sock bit? Some cool colours and looking to motivate myself to shed a coupla kilos again. Decent buy?

Anyone bought the Nike Lunarepics with the high top sock bit? Some cool colours and looking to motivate myself to shed a coupla kilos again. Decent buy?
the only lunar's ive ever been a fan of are the lunarglides. I am pretty boring though - I wear some horrible looking asics 2000's. I'd always go the lunarglides or the structures

I ran a touch over 56 mins for the Run for the Kids, which I was very happy with.

It made such a big difference pacing myself a bit slower over the first half of the race. Mentally, I felt so much stronger being able to overtake others on the back half rather than having them go past me and trying to hold on.

Now my tentative plan at this stage is to do a half along the Surf Coast Trail at the end of June and then my first ever full in Sydney in September.

Can anyone share their experiences of the Sydney marathon from previous years? Is it a fast course? From what I've read, the course changed a bit last year, making for some much quicker times.

Cheers

Whats the longest race anyone here has ever done? Last few months all i can think about running-wise is doing an ultra. Luckily weve got a good selection of races here in WA to pick from but would love to hear how anyone else went from running marathons to ultras.
What's an ultra these days? 100k? Seems they are getting more & more popular.

I did the 50km SCC last year but been thinking about the same thing. Followed the Down Under 135 mile (217km) race through Central Vic over the weekend. Something like that would be a few years away but SCC 100k was the 2017 goal before copped the injury curse. Maybe there's still time to get back on track.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back