Running Thread - Join our Strava Club!

Anyone else dealt with Achillies tendonitis?
Went to the physio Monday, she gave me some exercises to do (lifting up onto my toes for 45 seconds, 5 reps, 3 times a day) and gave me some heel lifts for my runners.. She also said to keep training but listen to my body and how I am feeling.

Went for a run this morn, uncomfortable early then when warm it was nagging but more annoying than anything.. Not really sore. Did about 7k, sore now though..

Sure have.

That's the start point for sure just to get pain relief.

1. Isometric heel raises - as you've described. 5 x 45 sec. 3-4 times a day.
2. Isotonic calf raises.... non weighted moving in to weighted as progressing
3. Plyometric exercises.

If you're on facebook check out this group https://www.facebook.com/groups/1702135413205474/ It's closed so you may need to be added. Dane Verwey.... running coach and physio with an injury dedicated page. Has done quite a few vids recently about achilles. I'm seeing him currently with my own knee issues and related stuff but we're still working on my achilles too.

I always went with step 1 whenever achilles flared and it's a great way to reduce the pain but it doesn't really strengthen and prevent issues coming back. Now working through the next steps and feeling much better for it.

Last edited:
Also... yes definitely keep running. But just don't overdo it. Tendons need work. Complete rest won't heal them. They need gradual loading.

I built back up with walk/jog intervals. Gradually increasing the jogging time and total time.

Also... yes definitely keep running. But just don't overdo it. Tendons need work. Complete rest won't heal them. They need gradual loading.

I built back up with walk/jog intervals. Gradually increasing the jogging time and total time.
I think me pushing a bit this morning probably wasn't wise haha

Sharks On A Plane

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 12, 2006
Y6le
AFL Club
Carlton
Have just strained my calf for the first time (34yo), am really flat about it as had been in a really strong consistent 12-month period of running and HIIT.

Anyone got any rehab tips? Seeing poor Brett Deledio today has me fearing multiple recurrences :(

Dan Moody

That, was liquid football
Apr 3, 2007
AFL Club
Collingwood
Have just strained my calf for the first time (34yo), am really flat about it as had been in a really strong consistent 12-month period of running and HIIT.

Anyone got any rehab tips? Seeing poor Brett Deledio today has me fearing multiple recurrences :(
The old man's injury :mad:
I got these repeatedly around 12-18 months ago. I did a bit of reading and switched from low drop height runners to better cushioning, I now wear Hoka's.
Unfortunately, I also wear very unflattering calf sleeves oR long compression socks when running. Can look like a dick sometimes but I find I recover really well and my times are always at my limit.

9187bc4e6e7f6e7d93bc708eef63c111.jpg
62d09e3656ce64507cfbb9003d0f7c88.jpg
582960e32f3f3d00bba56216c40a3ae8.jpg
3349490ed22714216019c9f0ad13b84f.jpg
bd54c276c663b83158dcb717d432067e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Oct 1, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Liverpool
Just stumbled across this part of BigFooty.

Very much an amateur runner but I'm dead keen on building up to s half marathon over the next 6 months or so. At the moment I can probably run on 10km before my legs start to feel tired but I believe it's more to do with my running technique more than anything else. I'm 183cms and about 80kgs so could potentially drop a few to become slightly leaner.

Out of curiosity how many people would agree with the below video, I reckon I land on my heel more then I should so I'll get working on that first off. Any tips and tricks to improve endurance would be appreciated.

I think the video resonates with most of what I've heard. I've tried running with a quicker step and faster cadence but find I probably don't need it. Unless you're particularly poor in how far out in front your leg lands I would be wasting a lot of energy in trying to chance running technique.

Definitely agree that softer footfalls and keeping your strike closer to the line of your body is the way to go though.

As for endurance I think you just have to get miles in start. I hate the long runs but you don't neglect them. Slow, easy and long. Get them done. How long I suppose is relative to how long you want to run/race. And build slowly. Don't go from 10km to 20km/30km... say 2km at a time. So get some shorter runs in during the week is standard and then if Sunday is LSR day, start putting extra 2km every week... maybe even plateau for a time too before moving up again. Give your body a chance to adjust. Some people also do it by time rather than distance to take the focus off maintaining a speed. Just aim to run one hour.... then 70 minutes, 80 etc...

Once you can run a bit further you can add other dynamics that improve your ability to run longer faster.... sessions during the week like hills, tempo, intervals etc

Jun 27, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur FC
ran 46 minutes low at my 10k today. better than i expected given my lack of running this year....i guess there's some residual fitness hiding there somewhere.

the question now is what next? i'm really not motivated to do anything at all which is why i need to find a goal. maybe a marathon, but i've broken down less than a month out from race day in my last 2 marathon preps and i don't know if i can go through that again. plus i really couldn't be arsed doing the long runs.
just gonna jog super easy for a week and see how i feel.

Bigjobss

Cancelled
BeanCoiNFT Investor
Apr 7, 2017
AFL Club
Essendon
Good work!
Is trail running an option for you? Running hills? When I get bored of distance I increase intensity.

Jun 27, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur FC
Good work!
Is trail running an option for you? Running hills? When I get bored of distance I increase intensity.
it's not so much that I'm bored, more that I don't have the heart to throw myself into it. the last 3 years i've spent 50% of the time injured (not all running related) and it's just so frustrating to keep starting over again.

been doing a little more intensity than normal of late and i liked it but its hard to keep pushing if you don't have a goal.
the plan right now is to jog around aimlessly for a while and enjoy not being injured. no doubt i'll get the inspiration to train for something eventually...i still love running.

For some reason I don't get bloody notifications for this thread...
Anyway appreciate the posts above MinerBoy
A weekish out from the half mara.. I am woefully underprepared but hoping the base fitness gets me through and the pain isn't too great.
I've changed my shoes to ones that help my overpronation, doing my stretches and heel raises.. Have rested a bit just to ease the pain as well, I'm committed to the half.. Then will slowly build back up if it hurts me too bad.

The aim is the half this year, full next... So probably there is an aspect of stubbornness with me doing it this year.. That and i am really really looking forward to a good nights sleep in a hotel in the city away from the bloody kids at home haha!

Well my prep for the full is done and dusted save for a few small runs to keep the legs ticking over. No pressure this year unlike previous years when I've intended to use this as a qualifying marathon for Comrades (already qualified via Perth City to Surf Marathon) but I'm looking for a sub 4:20 in order to get into a closer start group. Some are worried about rain on race day (which I believe is forecast for the afternoon), others are concerned about space on parts of the course affected by construction (as it was last year), and a few may hope that the half marathoners aren't holding up players who need to get to the Junction Oval for a Shield game. Personally I just don't want to have a 10km meltdown mid race, or that I miss my flight from the GC on Friday Night because of daylight savings.

As for Comrades, R3800 to enter again this year (about $A380), 27500 total spots available which is up from 25000 from last year (and about 22000 from the last Down Run as 2020 will be) and will include 7000 for novices and 2500 for internationals. Have the accommodation pretty much sorted, and have a flight plan in mind. Canberra next year is reportedly a little earlier than past years (week before Easter), so I may need to find another marathon between Easter and Wings for Life for training purposes pending finances.

Bigjobss

Cancelled
BeanCoiNFT Investor
Apr 7, 2017
AFL Club
Essendon
What a cracker of a morning for a run. Reluctantly got up at sunrise and went out for a casual 19k for the 3rd weekend in a row. Well and truly back into running after my 6 month break.

Felt smooth and quick this morning, it's weird how some runs are hard when you go into them feeling motivated and positive and others are easy when you struggle to get started.

Jun 27, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur FC
INEOS 1:59 challenge starts at 5:15pm today (Melbourne time)
4 Aussies on pacing duties. McSweyn, Rayner, Robinson and Tiernan.

I think he'll do it easy with the AlphaFly shoes, pacemakers and drafting behind a car.
I was a lot more interested before Bekele ran 2:01:41 but now this just feels like a waste of a race.....but I'll be watching anyway.

its free on youtube for everyone.

my guess is 1:59:42

Bigjobss

Cancelled
BeanCoiNFT Investor
Apr 7, 2017
AFL Club
Essendon
INEOS 1:59 challenge starts at 5:15pm today (Melbourne time)
4 Aussies on pacing duties. McSweyn, Rayner, Robinson and Tiernan.

I think he'll do it easy with the AlphaFly shoes, pacemakers and drafting behind a car.
I was a lot more interested before Bekele ran 2:01:41 but now this just feels like a waste of a race.....but I'll be watching anyway.

its free on youtube for everyone.

my guess is 1:59:42

Thanks for bringing me back down to earth!
My guess is 2:00:03

Back