Running Thread - Join our Strava Club!

Remove this Banner Ad

I definitely don't love this colourway but if they feel great I can live with it lol.

The red and blue options were both sold out in my size so these were the ones haha.

How's the Speeds treating you?

I got a pair of the Shift 2's on sale and took them out for 8km last Friday, they're pretty nice actually. First time I've run in Saucony's since a pair of Kinvaras something like 10 years ago.

Much firmer than the Rebel or Invincible style foams, but really easy just to cruise along in with the stiffness and the speedroll tech, legs pulled up really fresh despite their stiffness.

I've read that they're not dissimilar to the Boston 10 which is getting good reviews (for those who can overlook them being nothing like the previous Boston's) as a long run beast.

Makes me even more interested in a pair of the Speeds for faster days.

Last edited:

Mine are the Pros, not the speeds but no real feedback yet.

Only had the one run (7.5km easy last night) but I'm feeling really putrid past few days. Probably shouldn't have even run that yesterday.

Full body/joint aches, quite light headed especially when standing up, ankle flex quite locked up.

I suppose I will say despite feeling like crap the shoes still felt nice. I imagine when I do have a run feeling better that I'm going to enjoy them.

Mine are the Pros, not the speeds but no real feedback yet.

Only had the one run (7.5km easy last night) but I'm feeling really putrid past few days. Probably shouldn't have even run that yesterday.

Full body/joint aches, quite light headed especially when standing up, ankle flex quite locked up.

I suppose I will say despite feeling like crap the shoes still felt nice. I imagine when I do have a run feeling better that I'm going to enjoy them.

I suppose it could be considered a positive when you feel like your body is letting down the shoes instead of the other way around...

I got a pair of the Shift 2's on sale and took them out for 8km last Friday, they're pretty nice actually. First time I've run in Saucony's since a pair of Kinvaras something like 10 years ago.

Much firmer than the Rebel or Invincible style foams, but really easy just to cruise along in with the stiffness and the speedroll tech, legs pulled up really fresh despite their stiffness.

I've read that they're not dissimilar to the Boston 10 which is getting good reviews (for those who can overlook them being nothing like the previous Boston's) as a long run beast.

Makes me even more interested in a pair of the Speeds for faster days.
I got the Speeds...
Have been for one run, was a 45 Min easy run with 20 mins or something tempo in the middle..
The good.. So so light, and when I picked up the pace I just wanted to go fast.. They make you feel like you are flying, I probably got carried away and went more threshold than tempo.

The bad, I'm a bit heel strikery and they felt really wobbly trying to run easy.. And then I think countering that I felt it through my hips when I finished my run.. So I think I'll be putting more in them, but saving them for workouts/5k races etc..
Still unsure on them, they from what I understand with the plastic plate are somewhat the Tempo Next % equivalent but just on all round feel I think the Tempos suit me much better..

Also I have some Boston 10s and I really don't like them.. They are clunky, heavy and don't agree with me as I've had a sore foot from them and I'm now too scared to try them again as it's flared up twice from that particular shoe.. I'm going to donate them or literally chuck em on marketplace for 50 bucks I reckon, just not for me

I got the Speeds...
Have been for one run, was a 45 Min easy run with 20 mins or something tempo in the middle..
The good.. So so light, and when I picked up the pace I just wanted to go fast.. They make you feel like you are flying, I probably got carried away and went more threshold than tempo.

The bad, I'm a bit heel strikery and they felt really wobbly trying to run easy.. And then I think countering that I felt it through my hips when I finished my run.. So I think I'll be putting more in them, but saving them for workouts/5k races etc..
Still unsure on them, they from what I understand with the plastic plate are somewhat the Tempo Next % equivalent but just on all round feel I think the Tempos suit me much better..

Also I have some Boston 10s and I really don't like them.. They are clunky, heavy and don't agree with me as I've had a sore foot from them and I'm now too scared to try them again as it's flared up twice from that particular shoe.. I'm going to donate them or literally chuck em on marketplace for 50 bucks I reckon, just not for me

Couldn't agree more about the Endorphin Speed. I've learnt never to wear them for easy or recovery runs, it's almost impossible to stay at a slow pace.
I've got the black/white Boston 10's, I liked the look of them and saw them discounted on the Adidas website for $160 so I snapped them up.
They're a pretty heavy shoe, I haven't really let rip in them to be honest so I'm still breaking them in.

Couldn't agree more about the Endorphin Speed. I've learnt never to wear them for easy or recovery runs, it's almost impossible to stay at a slow pace.
I've got the black/white Boston 10's, I liked the look of them and saw them discounted on the Adidas website for $160 so I snapped them up.
They're a pretty heavy shoe, I haven't really let rip in them to be honest so I'm still breaking them in.
They don't feel like they want to go slow... But you also don't feel good at all going slow, absolutely not an easy shoe.. That's fine though, I'm happy to have something quick to punch out 5/10k road races in

I've only put like 70k into my Bostons, as I mentioned I had a bit of a sore foot.. And when it's felt better I've gone back to the Boston and the last time it just blew up and took me a couple of weeks to get back to right... And a sore foot is no fun haha, so I've just decided they aren't for me and how I run

They don't feel like they want to go slow... But you also don't feel good at all going slow, absolutely not an easy shoe.. That's fine though, I'm happy to have something quick to punch out 5/10k road races in

I've only put like 70k into my Bostons, as I mentioned I had a bit of a sore foot.. And when it's felt better I've gone back to the Boston and the last time it just blew up and took me a couple of weeks to get back to right... And a sore foot is no fun haha, so I've just decided they aren't for me and how I run

You know what's worse? Puma Deviate Nitro. I've had mine for 6 weeks and my first "easy" 12k run, I found I'd gone out way too fast without even feeling it.
Amazing shoe, and I'm generally a Hoka/Nike/Saucony runner

What's the feeling around the Melbourne Marathon going ahead?

100% certain it now goes ahead, with an E-Mail stating that it's only open for those fully vaxxed and that there's field limits smaller than usual for the races across the board (e.g. the Marathon used to have no field limit, now it's 7000 of which there's about 1500 slots left. The half attracted more than it's now capped 9000 over the years). Whether I am able to go or not depends on work (can't exactly get out of parcel sorting if rostered on a Sunday in December), and whether I'll be allowed back into Qld without quarantine, for I am able to travel down no problems (Qld is a Green Zone) but will the Qld Government still declare a hotspot even though the Commonwealth says it isn't due to vaccination rates?

Oh and there's a small issue of overcoming Osteitis Pubis which has caused me to DNF both Cairns (where I spent 3 hours in the hospital being checked over by 2 nurses, a doctor and a physio, all female) and Sunshine Coast (which to be honest was more to do with a glute strain on the other side, many others were battling the heat). Training is limited to just a few km or minutes at a time (today for instance was 40 minutes, and I probably would have been lucky to get through another 5). But I do have some sort of schedule tentatively penciled in up until August 2022 which is becoming clearer as the whole Covid thing is appearing to end.

November 7: Bridge to Brisbane 10km, partially for training, partially because it's 10 years since I the 5km here as my first ever event
November 28: Gold Coast 50, unfinished business from last year after I took a spill on a boardwalk section and withdrew at mid race distance.
December 12: Melbourne Marathon, number 8 for me provided I can get back safely enough
January 9: Cadbury Marathon Hobart, not confirmed with work probably being the deciding factor
January 21: Auckland Marathon, postponed from last weekend, surely NZ's North Island will be open by then AND I have a week off afterwards
March 6: Port Macquarie Treble Breakwall Buster (21.1-10-5), in an elite group of those who'll have done 5 or more upon completion with 5 having done all 5 and 10 others apart from me having done 4.
March 20: Wangaratta, still to decide whether to go 21 or 42 but will depend on the South Africa situation, more on that later
April 10: Canberra Marathon, they've dropped the 50km for next year but I'll still go for the 42 with a week off afterwards leading into Easter.
May 22: Rocky River Run, half marathon, local event, only work will prevent me from missing this
July 2-3: Gold Coast Marathon/Half Marathon, if they're doing what they had planned for this year prior to cancellation I'm planning to do the half marathon on the Saturday, then backing up for the full on Sunday. Oh and it will be a great training run for the next event.
August 28: COMRADES Down Run (PMB to Durban), Yes the date has been confirmed switching from the June date for safety reasons (I don't think they'd have done this if it was an Up run, the roads out of Pietermaritzburg are narrow and dark as opposed to Durban where you're on motorways). Still waiting to hear what the qualifying procedure is (usually for a June race it's basically from last weekend of August to first weekend in May, but South Africa has only just started running marathons again with Cape Town held in the last fortnight, not sure if 2 Oceans is on next April either. They did have a big announcement last week.....a Comrades Monopoly game) but the entry is already paid for and intriguingly we can go to RSA without quarantine based upon the announcement today (getting there though can be a pain with South African Airways basically doing limited routes following their latest financial issues, they don't even do JNB-DUR).

100% certain it now goes ahead, with an E-Mail stating that it's only open for those fully vaxxed and that there's field limits smaller than usual for the races across the board (e.g. the Marathon used to have no field limit, now it's 7000 of which there's about 1500 slots left. The half attracted more than it's now capped 9000 over the years). Whether I am able to go or not depends on work (can't exactly get out of parcel sorting if rostered on a Sunday in December), and whether I'll be allowed back into Qld without quarantine, for I am able to travel down no problems (Qld is a Green Zone) but will the Qld Government still declare a hotspot even though the Commonwealth says it isn't due to vaccination rates?

Oh and there's a small issue of overcoming Osteitis Pubis which has caused me to DNF both Cairns (where I spent 3 hours in the hospital being checked over by 2 nurses, a doctor and a physio, all female) and Sunshine Coast (which to be honest was more to do with a glute strain on the other side, many others were battling the heat). Training is limited to just a few km or minutes at a time (today for instance was 40 minutes, and I probably would have been lucky to get through another 5). But I do have some sort of schedule tentatively penciled in up until August 2022 which is becoming clearer as the whole Covid thing is appearing to end.

November 7: Bridge to Brisbane 10km, partially for training, partially because it's 10 years since I the 5km here as my first ever event
November 28: Gold Coast 50, unfinished business from last year after I took a spill on a boardwalk section and withdrew at mid race distance.
December 12: Melbourne Marathon, number 8 for me provided I can get back safely enough
January 9: Cadbury Marathon Hobart, not confirmed with work probably being the deciding factor
January 21: Auckland Marathon, postponed from last weekend, surely NZ's North Island will be open by then AND I have a week off afterwards
March 6: Port Macquarie Treble Breakwall Buster (21.1-10-5), in an elite group of those who'll have done 5 or more upon completion with 5 having done all 5 and 10 others apart from me having done 4.
March 20: Wangaratta, still to decide whether to go 21 or 42 but will depend on the South Africa situation, more on that later
April 10: Canberra Marathon, they've dropped the 50km for next year but I'll still go for the 42 with a week off afterwards leading into Easter.
May 22: Rocky River Run, half marathon, local event, only work will prevent me from missing this
July 2-3: Gold Coast Marathon/Half Marathon, if they're doing what they had planned for this year prior to cancellation I'm planning to do the half marathon on the Saturday, then backing up for the full on Sunday. Oh and it will be a great training run for the next event.
August 28: COMRADES Down Run (PMB to Durban), Yes the date has been confirmed switching from the June date for safety reasons (I don't think they'd have done this if it was an Up run, the roads out of Pietermaritzburg are narrow and dark as opposed to Durban where you're on motorways). Still waiting to hear what the qualifying procedure is (usually for a June race it's basically from last weekend of August to first weekend in May, but South Africa has only just started running marathons again with Cape Town held in the last fortnight, not sure if 2 Oceans is on next April either. They did have a big announcement last week.....a Comrades Monopoly game) but the entry is already paid for and intriguingly we can go to RSA without quarantine based upon the announcement today (getting there though can be a pain with South African Airways basically doing limited routes following their latest financial issues, they don't even do JNB-DUR).
How nice a feeling is it to think events are going ahead and to somewhat plan for them..... maybe we are asking for trouble, but i am planning as if all good at this stage going forward
With 3 kids at home and the boss lady working every 2nd weekend I need to pick and choose a bit what i am doing, can do... trying to stick local as I can really.
Plan for me is I am doing the Bellarine Rail Trail 17k next weekend (which isn't really a race but still going to be good fun)
Then 2 weeks later the Afterglow Half Marathon on the 20th in Torquay...
Then likely do Dawnbusters 5k round the Geelong waterfront on NYE

then looking to see if there is anything I can fit in over the xmas break from work and when my missus and the kids will be in SA for a few weeks... think that is likely unlikely that I fit anything in there...
Maybe the Bellarine Sunset Run, will do the Geelong Half Marathon, would like to do Run Melbourne Half and then the Melb Marathon, finally getting a chance on my 3rd attempt all things being well..
might also try do something in Adelaide or see if i can convince the family that we need a Gold Coast holiday and go do the half marathon up there... but the best thing is that hopefully the world is our oyster! I have only been running a few years and we got into a global pandemic 18 months into my journey so just as I really had gotten the bug for events there have been none..

Got myself a pair of the hype machines New Balance FuelCell Rebel v2.

Don't regret.

So light. So bouncy. So pink.

iu
Public service announcement... These are on sale on the NB site for Black Friday... $140 bucks

I'll likely 100% get the white and blue ones today haha

Public service announcement... These are on sale on the NB site for Black Friday... $140 bucks

Update: They're fun but if you've got unstable ankles they aren't necessarily for everyone.

My left ankle has had a few injuries so is a bit more unstable than my right, after about ~ 120km of twice a week tempo runs I was getting soreness in the tib-post tendon on that side that my physio and I suspect is shoe related (it's settled in the week since swapping them out). It's been fine on my right one.

Typically I probably need a little bit of stability in a shoe on my left side particularly, but can run happily in most neutral shoes. With longer intervals (1-2km) as you fatigue they're definitely that bit more unstable underfoot than most shoes.

I've swapped them out for some Endorphin Speeds this week that are just that bit more stable with the nylon plate, and the lockdown in the upper is more secure whereas the Rebel really lets your foot move around a little too much through the upper.

My plan is to keep building strength through the left side, and maybe rotate them in once a week after that ankle has settled down a bit.

TLDR: If you have stable ankles and feet they should work well, and are a really really fun shoe to run in. $140 is a bargain.

Update: They're fun but if you've got unstable ankles they aren't necessarily for everyone.

My left ankle has had a few injuries so is a bit more unstable than my right, after about ~ 120km of twice a week tempo runs I was getting soreness in the tib-post tendon on that side that my physio and I suspect is shoe related (it's settled in the week since swapping them out). It's been fine on my right one.

Typically I probably need a little bit of stability in a shoe on my left side particularly, but can run happily in most neutral shoes. With longer intervals (1-2km) as you fatigue they're definitely that bit more unstable underfoot than most shoes.

I've swapped them out for some Endorphin Speeds this week that are just that bit more stable with the nylon plate, and the lockdown in the upper is more secure whereas the Rebel really lets your foot move around a little too much through the upper.

My plan is to keep building strength through the left side, and maybe rotate them in once a week after that ankle has settled down a bit.

TLDR: If you have stable ankles and feet they should work well, and are a really really fun shoe to run in. $140 is a bargain.
hmmm then maybe i steer clear.. I just offloaded the Endorphin Speeds I had as I found them a bit wobbly for me, but that is more a heel striker thing than a stability thing. I pronate but neutral shoes still just seem to work better for me...

the smart thing to do would be for me to go try them on at a Running Company or somewhere, but I won't do that so i either steer clear or just buy online now hahaha

Also did the Afterglow Night Trail Half on Saturday night, great event, geeeeeeze i do not like sand though, soft sand is just awful. I felt like dogshit up until yesterday in terms of being sore as well :tearsofjoy:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

hmmm then maybe i steer clear.. I just offloaded the Endorphin Speeds I had as I found them a bit wobbly for me, but that is more a heel striker thing than a stability thing. I pronate but neutral shoes still just seem to work better for me...

the smart thing to do would be for me to go try them on at a Running Company or somewhere, but I won't do that so i either steer clear or just buy online now hahaha

Hard to compare as I don't really heel-strike; but the Speed and Rebel are unstable in a different way.

I think the Speed is unstable at the back-end but less wobbly underfoot once you're in the front half of the shoe due to the plate, whereas I think the Rebel is a bit better at the heel-toe transition but generally more wobbly without a plate.

Oddly, despite the Nike Invincible being really bouncy, the way the foam works I found to be a little more stable underfoot than the Rebel.

New Balance FuelCell Rebel v2 Multiple Tester Review - DOCTORS OF RUNNING

Saucony Endorphin Speed 2 Multiple Tester Review (2021) - DOCTORS OF RUNNING

Something like the Prism v2 might be worth looking at if you want FuelCell?

New Balance FuelCell Prism v2 Review (2021 Release) - DOCTORS OF RUNNING

Hard to compare as I don't really heel-strike; but the Speed and Rebel are unstable in a different way.

I think the Speed is unstable at the back-end but less wobbly underfoot once you're in the front half of the shoe due to the plate, whereas I think the Rebel is a bit better at the heel-toe transition but generally more wobbly without a plate.

Oddly, despite the Nike Invincible being really bouncy, the way the foam works I found to be a little more stable underfoot than the Rebel.

New Balance FuelCell Rebel v2 Multiple Tester Review - DOCTORS OF RUNNING

Saucony Endorphin Speed 2 Multiple Tester Review (2021) - DOCTORS OF RUNNING

Something like the Prism v2 might be worth looking at if you want FuelCell?

New Balance FuelCell Prism v2 Review (2021 Release) - DOCTORS OF RUNNING
and i find the invincible to be fine for me haha, probably because of the big wide arse on it

Might be a New Balance thing - trying to use the RC elite v2 for the Melb Mara and I definitely feel they are quite unstable especially when going at slower speeds than a tempo run for example. I've had ankle issues too and same with you have gotten post-tib/flexor halluxis longus issues with the RC elite's, only on my right ankle which has been the problematic one. I too usually need a stability shoe but some neutral runners do fine for me. I'm trying to run more mid to forefoot strike but as I fatigue i definitely heel strike more and that's where i pronate more in the RC elite's. In the end though, I think all carbon plated shoes generally lack support and if your form isn't great they're not the greatest shoe to use - definitely make me run faster though!

Might be a New Balance thing - trying to use the RC elite v2 for the Melb Mara and I definitely feel they are quite unstable especially when going at slower speeds than a tempo run for example. I've had ankle issues too and same with you have gotten post-tib/flexor halluxis longus issues with the RC elite's, only on my right ankle which has been the problematic one. I too usually need a stability shoe but some neutral runners do fine for me. I'm trying to run more mid to forefoot strike but as I fatigue i definitely heel strike more and that's where i pronate more in the RC elite's. In the end though, I think all carbon plated shoes generally lack support and if your form isn't great they're not the greatest shoe to use - definitely make me run faster though!

Definitely agree those supershoes with the soft foam are much less stable than the traditional racing flats, but I assume not all foams are equal.

The FuelCell NB use seem extremely soft, the ZoomX in my Nike Invincibles and the PWRRUN+ in the Saucony Speeds seem a bit less soft and a bit more peppy and don't seem to cause it. I'd probably try the Endorphin Pro out as a first point of call if I wanted a carbon plated shoe right now, since the Speeds seem to work ok for me based off my initial sessions in them.

Update: He could not help himself and purchased the shoes for $140

Anyone in for the Rollercoaster Run or Sandy Point Half this weekend?
Part of me thinks Roller-coaster looks amazing, the other part of me thinks that first part is a ******* idiot lol

Part of me thinks Roller-coaster looks amazing, the other part of me thinks that first part is a ******* idiot lol

Ive done the 20k twice.... I said never again after the first time then took a last minute entry off someone who couldnt make it. I then said never again after that time and I've held to it so far hahaha.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back