Remove this Banner Ad

Ryan O'Keefe?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Blue Dawn
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

🥰 Love BigFooty? Join now for free.

It may be a simple matter of 'tactics' re contract negotiations BUT........

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/okeefe-could-fly-south-next-winter/2008/09/19/1221331


O'Keefe could fly south next winter

Jessica Halloran and Michael Cowley | September 20, 2008

SYDNEY could lose one of their biggest stars, with the club still trying to secure the signature of forward Ryan O'Keefe and they face a tough battle against Melbourne clubs eager to lure him south.
The Herald understands the Swans have offered O'Keefe a four-year deal believed to be less than he would attract on the open market.
The out-of-contract Swan is keen to stay in Sydney but a number of Melbourne clubs are desperate for the talents of the All-Australian and premiership player.
O'Keefe has been in career-best form - he was again on the shortlist of 40 for All-Australian selection this year - and Victorian clubs expected to lead the chase for him include Carlton, Essendon, Richmond and Collingwood.
O'Keefe could not be contacted by the Herald yesterday but he does not have a manager and is negotiating his own contract.
The 27-year-old has strong ties to the southern state. A childhood Footscray supporter whose father played for the Bulldogs, he was clearly honoured to represent Victoria in the Hall of Fame match earlier this year.
In an interview in June, O'Keefe said he would prefer to see out his career at the Swans but would not rule out returning to Victoria.
"I love Sydney and I love being up here, but you never say never," O'Keefe said at the time.
Since re-signing with the club following the 2005 premiership success, O'Keefe has been one of Sydney's most consistent performers. He was runner-up in the best and fairest in 2006, fifth in 2007 and is expected to finish in the top five of the Swans' club champion poll again.






He's 27 but should we seriously consider him IF he was available? :confused:


 
Stop selling the future on players that won't lead the club to the next premiership ..
O'Keefe is 27, will be around by the next premiership window for Carlton .. NOPE ZILCH.
Rather we got Jude Bolton to be honest.
 
Stop selling the future on players that won't lead the club to the next premiership ..
O'Keefe is 27, will be around by the next premiership window for Carlton .. NOPE ZILCH.
Rather we got Jude Bolton to be honest.
Fevola is 27 as well. Let's trade him and rebuild with the kids :thumbsu: :rolleyes:
 

Log in to remove this Banner Ad

Stop selling the future on players that won't lead the club to the next premiership ..
O'Keefe is 27, will be around by the next premiership window for Carlton .. NOPE ZILCH.
Rather we got Jude Bolton to be honest.
As for the topic, a big YES to O'Keefe, would fit our side very very well BUT I think the price the Swans will ask will be too much. Unless we can get him for a second rounder + Thornton/Houlihan or something.

Pick 6 is too high.
 
Absolute gun and one of the few Sydney players l like but a big fat NO - we need to keep all our early picks for 10 year players.

We wouldnt get him cheap and would have to give up too much.
 
I'd love him at the club. He's an absolute gun and would fit in very well on the half forward line.

The downside is he probably only has 4 years left in him so from that point of view, probably wouldn't be an ideal trade target.

Adding to that, pick 6 would most probably need to be included in trade negotiations.

No thanks.
 
It may be a simple matter of 'tactics' re contract negotiations BUT........

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/okeefe-could-fly-south-next-winter/2008/09/19/1221331


O'Keefe could fly south next winter

Jessica Halloran and Michael Cowley | September 20, 2008

SYDNEY could lose one of their biggest stars, with the club still trying to secure the signature of forward Ryan O'Keefe and they face a tough battle against Melbourne clubs eager to lure him south.
The Herald understands the Swans have offered O'Keefe a four-year deal believed to be less than he would attract on the open market.
The out-of-contract Swan is keen to stay in Sydney but a number of Melbourne clubs are desperate for the talents of the All-Australian and premiership player.
O'Keefe has been in career-best form - he was again on the shortlist of 40 for All-Australian selection this year - and Victorian clubs expected to lead the chase for him include Carlton, Essendon, Richmond and Collingwood.
O'Keefe could not be contacted by the Herald yesterday but he does not have a manager and is negotiating his own contract.
The 27-year-old has strong ties to the southern state. A childhood Footscray supporter whose father played for the Bulldogs, he was clearly honoured to represent Victoria in the Hall of Fame match earlier this year.
In an interview in June, O'Keefe said he would prefer to see out his career at the Swans but would not rule out returning to Victoria.
"I love Sydney and I love being up here, but you never say never," O'Keefe said at the time.
Since re-signing with the club following the 2005 premiership success, O'Keefe has been one of Sydney's most consistent performers. He was runner-up in the best and fairest in 2006, fifth in 2007 and is expected to finish in the top five of the Swans' club champion poll again.






He's 27 but should we seriously consider him IF he was available? :confused:



In other words it's a fluff piece by the media trying to create something from nothing to make a headline. He's just bumping up his price to stay at the Swans.
 

Remove this Banner Ad

If he wants to come back down south, we should make a play for him...

The price might be something that we dont want to part with at this point. We might have to do a 3 way deal or something...

Or better yet, tell them that they still owe us for Minton-Connell :)
 
i saw him play live against the kangas in the first elimination final
he was very good one on one
he would help provide our midfield wit another option other than fev
but dnt think the swans will exactly be giving him away:(
 
Pick 24 for Jude Bolton seems fair IMHO, and a better fit for us.
Also don't forget we're having salary cap problems as it is, u can't go out and recruit every big name player that is out of contract ...
 
Nice thought but I can't see it happening. Would come at a hefty price and we would have to give up a fair bit. Sorry to say but the Sydney poster on here was right, a 2nd rounder for Houlihan/Thornton would not be good enough for a player of O'Keefe's quality.
 

🥰 Love BigFooty? Join now for free.

Would love him but prob too much too ask for escpecially when weve got prob warnock to get
 
Pick 24 for Jude Bolton seems fair IMHO, and a better fit for us.
Also don't forget we're having salary cap problems as it is, u can't go out and recruit every big name player that is out of contract ...

The only salary cap problem we have is who to give the excess to... Seriously, there is absolutely no salary cap problem at all right now.

O'Keefe is a perfect fit for us. Possibly worth giving up a first-round pick for, perhaps if Sydney gave us a third rounder as well.
 
Think. We're not flogging off a draft pick and/or a player for Fev as he's here. We are with O'Keefe.
Yeah but by playing Fev he is taking up a position of one of those "young kids" who is going to be around for our 'window'.

AND we are missing out on picking up two young gun kids in the draft by keeping him, let's trade him because he won't be around when we are back up there challenging!

It's all about opportunity costs........;)
 

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

🥰 Love BigFooty? Join now for free.

Back
Top Bottom