State Focus SA Juniors Watch 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

Just throwing a few curveballs
Satanek, (WEST)
White, (NORTH)
D’Loia, (West Torrens)

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Not much to really take from that game. Conditions weren't great, skills were poor from both sides.

The main thing I look for in these trial games is who's playing where, particularly the KPPs. Looking like Kyle Marshall will be one of the first picked down back, potentially with Shaun Bennier and Michalanney when he's back. Otherwise Patton, Hodges and Deakin were down back too. I wasn't sure how much of the 17 year olds we'll see, but Jayden Matz will definitely feature in the back half at some stage - did some backup ruck work too and looked strong.

Brodie Tuck played forward most of the game. Be interesting to see whether he gets much game time when Lemmey is in too, there was some talk at least of maybe having to play him back to fit him in. He's not the most talented, but he gives it his all and wouldn't be a bad third tall option. Isaac Keeler played mostly high forward and wing, that should be fun to watch at the Champs. Think it could have been a very different day for Scully if some of his marks in the first quarter stuck. He was almost there for most of it, I think people should temper their expectations with him - he's not going to dominate and will be picked more on potential.

Hopefully there's nothing to read into Phillipou only playing the second half. He clearly showed himself as SA's best mid in my opinion, they should really be building around him. I actually preferred our second half set up with Phillipou and Sadler in the middle. Dowling, D'Aloia, Ryan and Magor showed enough to not doubt their spots.

Of the lesser known names, Jake Walker showed promise. I had him as a fringe selection, but he might get more game time than I expected. Tyson Walls down back was good, Nathan Barkla should get some games off half back. He didn't do a lot, but Ashton Moir is too good to not be in the forward line. Archie Lovelock should be down there too.

Based off that game...

b: Tyson Walls - Kyle Marshall - Shaun Bennier
hb: Jakob Ryan - Max Michalanney - Nathan Barkla
c: Kobe Ryan - Adam D'Aloia - Nick Sadler
hf: Archie Lovelock - Harry Lemmey - Isaac Keeler
f: Ashton Moir - Tom Scully - Kelsey Rypstra
r: Harry Barnett - Matteas Phillipou - Billy Dowling

i: Jayden Matz - Brodie Tuck - Jake Walker - Jaiden Magor - Charlie Duncan

Emerg: Will Verrall - Luca Slade - Adam Deakin - Blake Hansen

Not much to really take from that game. Conditions weren't great, skills were poor from both sides.

The main thing I look for in these trial games is who's playing where, particularly the KPPs. Looking like Kyle Marshall will be one of the first picked down back, potentially with Shaun Bennier and Michalanney when he's back. Otherwise Patton, Hodges and Deakin were down back too. I wasn't sure how much of the 17 year olds we'll see, but Jayden Matz will definitely feature in the back half at some stage - did some backup ruck work too and looked strong.

Brodie Tuck played forward most of the game. Be interesting to see whether he gets much game time when Lemmey is in too, there was some talk at least of maybe having to play him back to fit him in. He's not the most talented, but he gives it his all and wouldn't be a bad third tall option. Isaac Keeler played mostly high forward and wing, that should be fun to watch at the Champs. Think it could have been a very different day for Scully if some of his marks in the first quarter stuck. He was almost there for most of it, I think people should temper their expectations with him - he's not going to dominate and will be picked more on potential.

Hopefully there's nothing to read into Phillipou only playing the second half. He clearly showed himself as SA's best mid in my opinion, they should really be building around him. I actually preferred our second half set up with Phillipou and Sadler in the middle. Dowling, D'Aloia, Ryan and Magor showed enough to not doubt their spots.

Of the lesser known names, Jake Walker showed promise. I had him as a fringe selection, but he might get more game time than I expected. Tyson Walls down back was good, Nathan Barkla should get some games off half back. He didn't do a lot, but Ashton Moir is too good to not be in the forward line. Archie Lovelock should be down there too.

Based off that game...

b: Tyson Walls - Kyle Marshall - Shaun Bennier
hb: Jakob Ryan - Max Michalanney - Nathan Barkla
c: Kobe Ryan - Adam D'Aloia - Nick Sadler
hf: Archie Lovelock - Harry Lemmey - Isaac Keeler
f: Ashton Moir - Tom Scully - Kelsey Rypstra
r: Harry Barnett - Matteas Phillipou - Billy Dowling

i: Jayden Matz - Brodie Tuck - Jake Walker - Jaiden Magor - Charlie Duncan

Emerg: Will Verrall - Luca Slade - Adam Deakin - Blake Hansen
I was a big fan of Holts game down back I’d prefer him to Barkla in the team but would also think Delean gets a gig aswell?

I was a big fan of Holts game down back I’d prefer him to Barkla in the team but would also think Delean gets a gig aswell?

It's always hard to know what they'll do with the 2023 kids so I usually go conservative and wait to see. I'm sure we'll see plenty of Delean, even though he wasn't picked yesterday. Probably should be in there ahead of Rypstra and a few others, but we'll see. Perhaps him and Moir rotate through if they don't go too heavy on 17 year olds. Might also depend on how many talls they carry - same goes for Holt and a handful of others down back.

Can’t see SA having enough decent mids and flankers this year to match it with Vics and WA

I know some guys played limited minutes but that was a pretty ordinary NSW side that out worked them

I don't think mids should be an issue with D'Aloia, Dowling, Phillipou, Sadler, Ryan. Outside run and flankers is the bigger problem for SA, having Jakob Ryan in will help - but really need guys like Duncan and Lovelock to stand up, or some of the underage kids. The other issue is just having a real point of difference in the middle, something we often lack. I think that's why Phillipou is so important to them, but also Keeler playing up the ground and on a wing.

I think SA should have better depth than WA.

25 straight losses? Ouch.
the worst thing you can possibly be is a west adelaide forward. it means you'll be playing on the wing and half back, barely getting any of the ball and then after all confidence is lost, being dropped while others just get a pass to play crap for ages. it's stunning how kobe ryan is about the only guy who can consistently make 30 meter kicks, and he's just a kid. guys like lemmey are better off in the u/18's.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

the worst thing you can possibly be is a west adelaide forward. it means you'll be playing on the wing and half back, barely getting any of the ball and then after all confidence is lost, being dropped while others just get a pass to play crap for ages. it's stunning how kobe ryan is about the only guy who can consistently make 30 meter kicks, and he's just a kid. guys like lemmey are better off in the u/18's.
That's a fair point. If you're not getting the ball inside 50, what chance do you have. Especially for teenagers at very least in a poor side.
And I think that's exactly what has happened to Lemmey, given the delivery, he couldn't find the ball, then was dropped to reserves (then dropped from there) would stifle any confidence he may have had.

How do you think Harry Lemmey would go playing defence? Does he have the game that could potentially translate?

How do you think Harry Lemmey would go playing defence? Does he have the game that could potentially translate?

Kicked 6 for West U18s against what seems a completely inept Centrals today along with 10 marks 4 inside 50s.

Scoreline for interests sake West 25.7 d Centrals 4.4.

barnett had a good debut. he was winning most of the contests he was in as ruckman, but probably only ended up rucking half the game, and then wasnt really involved in the game otherwise. should play out the rest of the season, and it's very irritating it has taken this long to play him as cleeland isnt up to being a ruckman, but who knows with this club

What’s the go with scully? He was kicking bags earlier in the season and he seems to have droppped off. Is he playing more ruck now?
last 4 weeks he has kicked

i would like to see him kick multiple goals against better opponents, but he should be playing in the champs, hopefully he plays the last game against WA.

Fair few changes for South Australia this weekend.

In: Slade, Ridgway, Delean, Verrall, Tuck, Scully, Deakin

Out: Lemmey, Duncan, Foster, Blacker, Pedler, Barkla, Marshall

Many will be happy to see Scully get a go. Looks like Ridgway, Verrall, and Slade get some reward for their strong SANFL U18 form.

Not sure if Lemmey is omitted or rested but interesting to see him making way.

*Edit - should note that is Will Verrall.

Finally Will Verrall, Brodie Tuck and Tom Scully getting a look in...

Sunday July 24

WA v SA
| Optus Stadium, Perth | 12:15pm SA time

Live broadcast on Fox Footy and live stream on AFL.com.au

SOUTH AUSTRALIA

F: Jake Walker (Glenelg), Tom Scully (West), Ashton Moir (Glenelg)

HF: Mattaes Phillipou (Eagles), Isaac Keeler (North), Ben Ridgway (Glenelg)

C: Luca Slade (Sturt), Adam D’Aloia (Eagles), Billy Dowling (North)

HB: Tyson Walls (Norwood), Max Michalanney (Norwood), Jakob Ryan (Glenelg)

B: Shaun Bennier (North), Adam Deakin (Central), Alex Holt (Sturt)

R: Harry Barnett (West), Nick Sadler (Sturt), Archie Lovelock (Glenelg)

INT: Will Verrall (South), Will Patton (West), Jack Delean (South), Kobe Ryan (West), Brodie Tuck (Central)

IN: Slade, Ridgway, Delean, Verrall, Tuck, Scully, Deakin

OUT – Lemmey, Duncan, Foster, Blacker, Pedler, Barkla, Marshall
Mutineer got us covered in the Champs thread where my comment probably belongs.

Fair few changes for South Australia this weekend.

In: Slade, Ridgway, Delean, Verrall, Tuck, Scully, Deakin

Out: Lemmey, Duncan, Foster, Blacker, Pedler, Barkla, Marshall

Many will be happy to see Scully get a go. Looks like Ridgway, Verrall, and Slade get some reward for their strong SANFL U18 form.

Not sure if Lemmey is omitted or rested but interesting to see him making way.

*Edit - should note that is Will Verrall.
Omitted, he's lining up for West Adelaide U18's.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back