"Sack Goodwin!"

Remove this Banner Ad

Apparently Mahoney is the one doing the internal review that has prompted McCartney and Jennings to announce leaving.

Disclaimer - its Tom Browne so take it with a grain of salt.
That is some absolutely brilliant journalism.

How's this line: ""There have also been questions around Melbourne’s game plan in... in particular, a lack of overlap around stoppages. Sources say other clubs have noticed it." (jesus, you think?)

My favourite part though is this:

"Experts including Rodney Eade pointing out when Melbourne players compete for the ball, there has been little structure or outside layer to feed the ball off to. A version of stacks on"

Now, I don't want to blow my own whistle here, but I've been complaining about this for well over a year. Beyond happy to have finally been recognised as an "expert" alongside an AFL legend like Rodney Eade.

What a ripper day this is turning out to be!!!

We’re leading the race with North to sign Alan Richardson.
i'll dead set spew if he joins us. we need coaches from successful clubs who know how to play the G to assist Goodwin, not from Docklands based teams, as Goody's got NFI how to play our homeground. we just got rid of 2 coaches from Bulldogs/Bombers because they were s**t.
I reckon there should be plenty of smart suitors from good clubs interested in an assistants job with us, because they'll know they will probably get a look at a caretakers coaching job before the years out when we finally give Goody the arse.

I almost cried when I was reminded again on radio that Goodwin is contract til the end of 2022... 3 more years for somebody who was not being courted by anyone... Why, Melbourne, why???

WHYYYY?!!!

giphy.gif

I almost cried when I was reminded again on radio that Goodwin is contract til the end of 2022... 3 more years for somebody who was not being courted by anyone... Why, Melbourne, why???

WHYYYY?!!!

giphy.gif
Because Gary Pert had to show he was doing something. It’s all about Gary aka Schwab II.

Bit of an odd choice. If you wanted to get your name out there, then surely Virgin magazines are not going to be the first choice. You'd have to be a bit of a mook to read the in-flight magazine.
I'd be demanding my PR agent get me on the cover of "Chad" magazine so the rest of the AFL world knows what kind of guy their dealin with.

Sack Goodwin (what an oxymoron)
Sack the football dept.
Sack the board
Sack the CEO
Sack the members
Sack the culture
Sack everything

We are the biggest soft option football club in the existence of the VFL/AFL.

Was thinking about this on the long lonely train ride home. To quote from game of thrones we need someone to smash the wheel. It's very Melbourne to go from a preliminary final to an absolute rabble. I can't remember having such a disappointing year. I suppose 1999 comes to mind but I was only 13 so I was still full of optimism. I now realise it's the same thing just 20 years later.

Failed if you measure making finals as an absolute must, fact is we got within 2 goals of making finals.

Rich0 coached for 6 years for a best result of 9th with 12 wins, 0 finals.

Bolton coached for 4 years did he even get them out of the bottom 4.

Goodwin deserves to coach his way back into form next year.

The problem is the guy is an introvert and socially awkward.... ive encountered him a few tines and its hard work.

Its not the model of the modern coach

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We are such a submissive club. In any competitive sport you either hunt or are hunted. I think we’ve been the hunter for about 10% of our games over the last twenty years. We played an aggressive brand of footy last year for a few months, started winning, then decided to go away from it because we had a few guys getting rubbed out. What a bunch of window lickers we have in charge. Give me regular suspensions and a hard edge over no suspensions and soft as butter.
Aside from this, our brilliant game plan has broken the will of our players. They tried their arse off and it didn’t work. So they’ve stopped trying. Shock, horror.
We need a more balanced game plan, but just as importantly, we need to bring back the campaigner factor. Nathan Jones has no role to play here. He needs to retire and get the * out of the way. He will go out the biggest loser in the history of the club. A 15 goal shellacking from the Roos in front of 7,000 fans would be a fitting finale.

The problem is the guy is an introvert and socially awkward.... ive encountered him a few tines and its hard work.

So why does it only become an issue this year?

The club's got serious serious issues. There were 23k at the G. The members were empty and honestly sounded like there were more Sydney fans at the game. Just got a second take that in. More fans from Sydney at an AFL game in Melbourne than Melbourne.

A year like this could easily destroy a decade worth of fans. Even in our Neeld years this board was thriving. It's dead now. I genuinely think people will walk away from footy after this year

The club's got serious serious issues. There were 23k at the G. The members were empty and honestly sounded like there were more Sydney fans at the game. Just got a second take that in. More fans from Sydney at an AFL game in Melbourne than Melbourne.

A year like this could easily destroy a decade worth of fans. Even in our Neeld years this board was thriving. It's dead now. I genuinely think people will walk away from footy after this year
Yeah man, factor in the Muppets running the afl, constant rule changes and the impossible/terrible job the umpires do, who can blame stuck on supported from leaving.

Being let down like all 52k members this year, with constant mismanagement... I know I am struggling for reasons to renew afl and mfc memberships for 2020. I'll go play golf so it's only me letting me down.

I think we have one year, Goodwin has one year as well. If it festers for much longer than after that we are basically St Kilda if it continues

I want to believe people can improve and go from terrible to ok, ok to good, good to great, but I don’t hold high hopes for our leadership

This. I met him a few time when he was at the Dons. The first a couple of times I thought he was just a bit up himself. The third time I realised that he is actually socially inept. It's actually hard to see how anyone would find him motivational.

This. I met him a few time when he was at the Dons. The first a couple of times I thought he was just a bit up himself. The third time I realised that he is actually socially inept. It's actually hard to see how anyone would find him motivational.

I mean the guy can't coach, clearly, but where was this high functioning aspie theory last year when everything was going right? Or when he was captaining Adelaide?

I don't think his introverted personality really has as much of an effect as his inability to identify (or even acknowledge) the problems with his game plan and work out a solution to fit his current team lineup.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back